A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Version 3.0

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Version 3.0

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 am

Good(ish) news! The visit to the dentist yesterday only resulted in one filling, so no interruption to normal proceedings in the immediate aftermath. The only problem there is the 2 other huge holes that need something done about them, but i'll just have to be patient for that.

It was my first visit to the public dentist (the bangers and mash required for a visit to a private dentist being absent) and it was surprisingly hilarious. You could have cut the atmosphere between the dentist and his assistant with a sledgehammer. As one example-

Dentist: Lyn, Vaseline for the band.

Lyn:

Dentist: Lyn!

Lyn: huh?

D: Vaseline for the band

L: but you've got the band, it's in your hand

D: no, Vaseline for the band

L: you want another band? hold on i'll look (starts rummaging through drawers)

D: (pulls down face mask in deliciously dramatic fashion) LYN! Vas...aa....leeeeen!

And so on and so forth. I would have been in hysterics if not for the fact that the man responsible for putting sharp pointy things in my mouth was getting angrier by the minute :) .

After that it was off to play squash with a mate (and I almost took the win for once too) and then out to the farm for some more fencing. In the process of cutting down some more fence posts I had a bit of a wander around the creeks and things are not looking good.

That is Pender Ck, just metres from where it flows into Kin Kin Ck, but there is no flowing going on in either. But the reason my parent's block is known as one of the best in the district was just 50 metres away.

Now that is left over from the rains last summer, and hasn't gone as the only "stock" in the vicinity is a small mob of roos, but it's impressive nonetheless.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

by BNA » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

BNA

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

I will make ya day for you Idry. Root canal = $1800. and I have three that need doing, so guess who is going to be getting by on temporary fillings for a while. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 am

foo on patrol wrote:I will make ya day for you Idry. Root canal = $1800. and I have three that need doing, so guess who is going to be getting by on temporary fillings for a while. :evil:

Foo

Wow must be dentist week, just a polish/ de-scale and two x-rays. $280. Also a recommendation for a wisdom tooth removal $180, I postponed that until after the holiday. Will the removal of the wisdom tooth take me closer to boganism?

With your crowns, a customer of mine went overseas to have it done. Two weeks holiday for him and her and the dental done! Bargain...
Last edited by Wakatuki on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakatuki

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 am

So look after your teeth peoples... brush, floss, eat according to Aust Dietary Guidelines, and don't eat crap fast food!

BUT!!!
you think teeth are scary? Look after your knees as well. A total knee replacement will cost a minimum $25,000 without health insurance.

This is why I always bang on about diet, exercise, and avoiding crashes!
Stefan_A

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:10 pm

I havent been to a dentist since 1989 :shock:

Brush twice a day and no problems yet.
singlespeedscott

Postby kb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:39 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I havent been to a dentist since 1989 :shock:

Brush twice a day and no problems yet.

Careful! You'll wear them out ;-)
kb

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I will make ya day for you Idry. Root canal = $1800. and I have three that need doing, so guess who is going to be getting by on temporary fillings for a while. :evil:

Foo

Pfft, try $3,500 a pop for the 3 implants I was looking at. With that sort of work especially, you would be nuts not to consider Thailand. I have spoken to about 2 dozen people who have been over there and all of them RAVED about it. I didn't end up doing it as I found I really liked my "temporary" dentures, and regardless of the fact it would be cheaper to get it done over there AND have a 2 week holiday, I still didn't have the money.

Down the track when I do have money, I will be having my remaining teeth removed and replaced with full dentures, as far as i'm concerned natural teeth (or at least my natural teeth, they do vary from person to person as can be seen from scott's good fortune) are not 'fit for purpose' and with my farming background I have short shrift for stuff that will not pull it's weight :) .

In cycling news, my work junket, sorry "training day" in Brisneyland Monday week has been confirmed, so it's time for me to lock in a plan for the riding i'll do while i'm own there. At this stage i'm looking at O'Reilly's and Binna Burra on the sunday, and then maybe best of all and/or springbrook on the Tuesday :D .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Loving this thread.

Keep it up please.

Cam
BianchiCam

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:42 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Loving this thread.

Keep it up please.

Cam

Your wish is my command! (Or at least this particular wish is :) )

After sleeping in this morning and then having a wee nap in the afternoon I felt like an evening ride was a good idea. When it became apparent that the drunken cast of Housos next door had friends over with 2 obnoxious screaming brats to add to the howling of their own youngling, getting out of the house for a bit looked like a stroke of genius.

So it was off to Bli Bli again, as one of the local Strava mafia recently walloped my KOM for the climb past the water tower. I knew I would be a long way off the pace with my recent spell off the bike but every time I do it, regardless of speed, i'll get a little bit closer. And it turned out I went over half a minute faster than Wednesday's attempt, so I was quite pleased with that.

On the way down the coast I was sitting on 38kmh with ease and thinking how strong I must be, until I got to the airport and saw the wind sock indicating a tailwind :roll: . But on the way back into the wind I managed to hold 30+ most of the way, so again I was quite pleased.

Then it was time for a bit of backwards and forwards and round a bout on the back streets of Coolum, and while I got a bit lost at one point, and hadn't properly remembered the start and finish points of one segment, I still got in some good times.

Tomorrow, NO riding, NO mechanical work, NO bicycle anything at all, because it is my 1st wedding anniversary, and a day to spend entirely with my dearly beloved :D .

But then once that's out of the way, some hard work in the week ahead to get the engine back up to temperature ahead of a very big few days of riding in the Brisbane-ish area starting on the 23rd :mrgreen: .
ldrcycles

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:14 am

Doesn't take much for you not to ride anymore Idry, sheesh it's only ya first anniversary. :lol: Put you hand brakes bike in the car and go and ride the bike ways on the coast, to a nice cafe. :mrgreen:

Glad I'm not standing near you when you show ya better half this. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

After a lovely anniversary (brekky with her family in Noosa, then out to the Mothar Mountain rock pools before heading home via Serge's in pomona to get some glorious pasta) It was time to get back on the bike!

Having stayed up rather late, i was a bit reluctant to get out of bed, but the threat of afternoon storms (which there is NO sign of yet sadly) spurred me into action. Back down to Bli Bli once more, and this time it was back over the 4 minute mark, but progress and hard work and blah blah blah.

On the way back to coolum i was passed by a moped who wasn't going that much faster than me, so after some thought i gave chase. Before long i had caught him, but i didn't want to get too close in case it caused offence. Only problem with that is trying to hold 50kmh with no slipstream ain't going to last long, so after a hundred metres or so i had to let him go. Lesson learned, next time (sure, like it happens all the time :roll: ) i need to ask permission as they pass.

I headed back into coolum to have another crack at the few segments i tried out on saturday, and while i didn't feel any good i somehow put in some cracking times, only 1 second off the KOM on one segment :D .

I'm hoping to do a relaxed Noosa Century short course tomorrow morning followed by more farmwork, but that hinges on a possible family BBQ. Right now it's time to bung some meat pies in the microwave and fit the new gear cables to my mountain bike :) .
ldrcycles

Re: Being productive

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Now THAT is a proper day's work!

I hopped on to the bike at 5:30 this morning for the planned Century short course, and took it at a fairly relaxed pace with the exception of sitting in the high 30s from Coolum to Peregian alongside a young bloke who had caught me while I was warming up. The later than normal (for me!) start meant I had a front row seat to watch the local A graders contesting the uphill sprint finish of the Tuesday 'world championships' at Tinbeerwah, but it also meant things got seriously warm. Normally one water bottle is more than enough for me to get through the short course but this morning I almost drained 2.

My luck turned a bit sour though, as I was coasting along recovering from an average speed of 56.5kmh over the Bli Bli bridge (jolly good fun :D ) I suddenly heard a clicking noise indicating something was caught in my wheel. On stopping I saw some wire, and when I sat down to start repairs, I found it was 3 fish hooks! 2 of them came out without trouble but the 3rd was lodged in there good and proper, even using the hook on my tyre lever wouldn't budge it. So it was time to spend some brownie points and call up the sag wagon. Disappointing for the ride to be cut short, but still 75km down.

After that it was a bit of housework, followed by the abovementioned family gathering, from which I was lucky enough to be excused a little early, and then it was out to the farm. My attempt at clearing a fenceline of lantana by wrapping a chain around sections and driving off met with limited success, but with some refining of the procedure it should work better. There was no trouble with doing some slashing (got a few areas cleared), with digging in another fence post (33mins, my best yet :) ) or with getting the first complete line of barb up.

I'm exhausted now of course, but it's a very good kind of exhaustion :D .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:12 am

Another long and very fulfilling day yesterday, after a short sleep in it was onto the bike at a little before 7 to head for Bli Bli. Going over the canefields from Pacific Paradise there was a pretty solid tailwind so I gave it some welly, but my average of 42kmh was not even anywhere near the fastest times :shock: . Of course the downside was heading back into the wind, which had the speed down to just 20.

My first run up to the water tower was so slow I turned around for another try which got a 3:33 (KOM is 2:54) and as I was dizzy and nauseous afterwards I had definitely given it a good shot :) .

Before heading home I went up to the hills above Coolum Beach to have a crack at a short segment (absolutely smashed it :D ) and found a nice little climb of about 800 metres little more than a kilometre from home, so that will become a regular in the future.

After a good hose off it was some more squash up in Pomona (this time with another mate, so I got a rare win) and then more farmwork. My revised plan of attack for the lantana-choked fenceline worked a treat and i made some excellent progress until i was cut short just on nightfall by some very welcome rain.

ldrcycles

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

I be not seeing no ROPS cab on that tractor Idry or seat belt or lights or or hell, I'm not seeing much safety gear at all. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby cancan64 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I be not seeing no ROPS cab on that tractor Idry or seat belt or lights or or hell, I'm not seeing much safety gear at all. :lol:

Foo

It does have a lid on it
cancan64

Postby Stefan_A » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 pm

hmmm....that tractor looks circa 1970... pre seat belts and air bags.
similar to one my grandad had.
Stefan_A

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:36 pm

That tractor is a baby compared to my Parents still operational and regularly used TEA 20
CXCommuter

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm

^^ You mean widow maker! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm

cancan64 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:I be not seeing no ROPS cab on that tractor Idry or seat belt or lights or or hell, I'm not seeing much safety gear at all. :lol:

Foo

It does have a lid on it

Yeah but that's all it's got. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby beanspropulsion » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Love the blog but I am intrigued by the following:

ldrcycles wrote:It was my first visit to the public dentist (the bangers and mash required for a visit to a private dentist being absent) and it was surprisingly hilarious.

What's a public dentist? I thought you had to pay tons of cash to get your teeth done here.

I haven't been to the dentist since 1991 and moved to Queensland in 1993!
beanspropulsion

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:31 pm

You know it never ceases to surprise me what you lot get excited about :lol: . Yep it's an old Kubota L345DT, it came with a property my parents bought in the late 70s and it had a couple of years on it even then. I don't think it has EVER seen the inside of a shed, hence the 'patina'. I must remember to get some photos the next time i'm out there, the muffler is held on with exhaust wrap and tie wire, and the steering arm is 2 star pickets, a bit of rebar and a whole heap of stick weld :) . Oh and one of the wires to the starter motor is held on with vice grips :) . It's remaining life can be measured in minutes (the steering arm joints are knackered, and it falls off every so often), but it's always been exceptionally reliable. Only has to hold in there for another few months before she can finally be retired. Foo, that is a ROPS on there but with the amount of rust involved I would not be willing to test it out!

I have some sad news to relate though, my planned jaunt to Springbrook on Tuesday has been postponed, Mr Boss Man offered me an extra day's work and while a day's pay is great it is disappointing that Springbrook will have to wait a little longer to be graced by my presence :) . I'll just have to hit O'Reilly's and Binna Burra extra hard to make up for it :twisted: .
ldrcycles

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:34 pm

foo on patrol wrote:^^ You mean widow maker! :lol:

Foo

It is much more... entertaining lets say, to operate than newer tractors especially with the PTO operating :shock:
CXCommuter

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:41 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Love the blog but I am intrigued by the following:

ldrcycles wrote:It was my first visit to the public dentist (the bangers and mash required for a visit to a private dentist being absent) and it was surprisingly hilarious.

What's a public dentist? I thought you had to pay tons of cash to get your teeth done here.

I haven't been to the dentist since 1991 and moved to Queensland in 1993!

Normally yes, but as I understand it public dental services are available to pensioners and their dependents (my wife being on a disability pension). As with many health services though for anything but emergency treatment there is a huge waiting list, up to 3 years for some procedures I've heard. The filling I got the other day is not a roaring success, as there is still pain with cold water, but it is far better than having constant pain and it didn't cost the usual $150-200 private dentists charge.
ldrcycles

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:47 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:^^ You mean widow maker! :lol:

Foo

It is much more... entertaining lets say, to operate than newer tractors especially with the PTO operating :shock:

Oh yeah! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:You know it never ceases to surprise me what you lot get excited about :lol: . Yep it's an old Kubota L345DT, it came with a property my parents bought in the late 70s and it had a couple of years on it even then. I don't think it has EVER seen the inside of a shed, hence the 'patina'. I must remember to get some photos the next time i'm out there, the muffler is held on with exhaust wrap and tie wire, and the steering arm is 2 star pickets, a bit of rebar and a whole heap of stick weld :) . Oh and one of the wires to the starter motor is held on with vice grips :) . It's remaining life can be measured in minutes (the steering arm joints are knackered, and it falls off every so often), but it's always been exceptionally reliable. Only has to hold in there for another few months before she can finally be retired. Foo, that is a ROPS on there but with the amount of rust involved I would not be willing to test it out!

I have some sad news to relate though, my planned jaunt to Springbrook on Tuesday has been postponed, Mr Boss Man offered me an extra day's work and while a day's pay is great it is disappointing that Springbrook will have to wait a little longer to be graced by my presence :) . I'll just have to hit O'Reilly's and Binna Burra extra hard to make up for it :twisted: .

Oh that sounds pretty modern for something from 1960s. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion