What did you do with your bike(s) today?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

i apologise if a thread like this already exists, i couldn't find it!

post up the little tidbits you've done with your fleet recently that doesn't deserve it's own thread.

today i got ambitious and sanded back the logos on the "good condition" carbon bars and crank i bought recently. bit of 600/1200 wet and dry, metho, a can of clear and some cut and polish and they came out much better.. not to mention matches my full bare carbon look.
i also had my first crank at wrapping drop bars. may have wrapped too tight as there wasn't much left over on the tops, oh well.

Smithstreet

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Re the bar tape wrapping..
Pull it a lot tighter, and keep the pressure on when wrapping and you'll have more left at the end than you have. Space it a bit wider than you have done.
That last loop looks really loose also. Don't be scared to undo it at any stage and try again if you're not happy with it.

You also forgot to put the two little strips in under the hoods.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Smithstreet wrote:Re the bar tape wrapping..
Pull it a lot tighter, and keep the pressure on when wrapping and you'll have more left at the end than you have. Space it a bit wider than you have done.
That last loop looks really loose also. Don't be scared to undo it at any stage and try again if you're not happy with it.

You also forgot to put the two little strips in under the hoods.
whoops, meant i wrapped the loops to tightly/close together. it was reasonably tight, last loop is probably loose from the franticly trying to find the tape with one hand game, and i didn't cut the tape for flat end as i figured i'd probably need to do it a couple of times to get it spot on... :lol:

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:31 pm

I checked the chain wear today. 6000k on this chain. Going well so far according to the measurement tool

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Smithstreet wrote:You also forgot to put the two little strips in under the hoods.
No need for this if wrapped correctly. You can also use the 'figure 8' technique.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Wiped the chain using used rug. Chain looks new again!

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 pm

joshnh wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:You also forgot to put the two little strips in under the hoods.
No need for this if wrapped correctly. You can also use the 'figure 8' technique.
but are you not left with a big bulge there?

I recently "discovered" with the strips is to cut the strips so it is flush with the plastic of the lever and not go up onto the plastic of the lever. This eliminates the bulge, which admittedly isn't uncomfortable, but I do prefer without.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:35 pm

One of mine stayed at home, the other one came out on two rides:

50.8km: http://app.strava.com/activities/108940423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Morning)
74.6km: http://app.strava.com/activities/109005843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Afternoon)

Both of them with pretty decent averages - but it was the afternoon one I was happy with. I don't know what happened, but my HR stayed fairly sensible all the way and I just really enjoyed that long 1 hour effort on the way back.

I think I'm pretty well spent after that. Tomorrow will be lots of rest.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:48 pm

I locktighted all the screws on the rack on my commuter. That'll stop'em rattling loose!

Good thread :-)
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

I rode my bike :)

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm

wizardhat wrote:I rode my bike :)
i just tried to ride mine, and of course i took the single speed... 35km/h winds suggested otherwise, i'm expecting a negative average speed on strava.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Put the bung in after finishing the wrap, not at the start.
Me, I cleaned the cellar... can happily fit 4 bikes in plus the 2 frames I am working on... the tool draws aren't very organized though I must admit. Seem to have about a dozen sets of wheels lying around, I think it is time I had a clean out and a glue up!.
Woke up... looked out the window and thought can't be bothered getting damp and cold today, might get on the rollers for an hour super easy... back into it tomorrow :) .

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Nothing yet, broken collar bone.

So instead of racing today, I was stand in race director.

Wrote race report for local paper.

About to jump on trainer and turn me legs over.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Me? I stuffed it into the ground. Chose a spectacularly bad moment to scratch my nose descending with a bit of speed today on a stony section of Centre Track at Terrey Hills.

Destroyed my favourite jersey (the BNA one), dislocated my right pinky, got a few grazes. My carbon handlebar has a suspicious creak, foam grips got torn, saddle got a bit chewed, some small scratches on the hydraulic fork lockout but no other apparent damage. Helmet stopped me getting any grazes to the head, and no apparent damage to it, not even a scratch.

Weird how I dislocated the pinky on my right hand when I fell hard to the left. :? Anyway, the finger went back into place pretty easy without pain but it's now quite stiff and swollen and a bit sore. Pretty sure I didn't break anything. It was an uncomfortable ride home. Will need some nurofen tonight.

Sheesh I'm stupid sometimes. :evil: I was having a real rocket run too - lots of PBs for some of the longer trail sections and climbs and the heart rate was in a comfortable zone. Grrr.

So I'll probably be posting here about new bars and grips in a couple of weeks. Might swap in the XT Ice Tech Brakes I bought before Christmas while I'm at it.
Last edited by trailgumby on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Slow cruisey ride around Torquay with the wife, Aussie flag in the jersey pocket

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:38 pm

trailgumby wrote:Me? I stuffed it into the ground. Chose a spectacularly bad moment to scratch my nose descending with a bit of speed today on a stony section of Centre Track at Terrey Hills.

Destroyed my favourite jersey (the BNA one), dislocated my right pinky, got a few grazes. My carbon handlebar has a suspicious creak, saddle got a bit chewed, some small scratches on the hydraulic fork lockout but no other apparent damage. Helmet stopped me getting any grazes to the head, and no apparent damage to it, not even a scratch.

Weird how I dislocated the pinky on my right hand when I fell hard to the left. :?

Anyway, the finger went back into place pretty easy without pain but it's now quite stiff and swollen and a bit sore. Pretty sure I didn't break anything. It was an uncomfortable ride home. Will need some nurofen tonight.

Sheesh I'm stupid sometimes. :evil:

I was having a real rocket run too - lots of PBs for some of the longer trail sections and climbs and the heart rate was in a comfortable zone. Grrr.
I have nothing to say except that... that is a good enough reason to purchase a new bike!! :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Lol, nah.

That would be a step backwards in the speed stakes. This thing is a rocket.

Mmm... Maybe some carbon wheels, though. :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:Me? I stuffed it into the ground. Chose a spectacularly bad moment to scratch my nose descending with a bit of speed today on a stony section of Centre Track at Terrey Hills.

Destroyed my favourite jersey (the BNA one), dislocated my right pinky, got a few grazes. My carbon handlebar has a suspicious creak, foam grips got torn, saddle got a bit chewed, some small scratches on the hydraulic fork lockout but no other apparent damage. Helmet stopped me getting any grazes to the head, and no apparent damage to it, not even a scratch.

Weird how I dislocated the pinky on my right hand when I fell hard to the left. :? Anyway, the finger went back into place pretty easy without pain but it's now quite stiff and swollen and a bit sore. Pretty sure I didn't break anything. It was an uncomfortable ride home. Will need some nurofen tonight.

Sheesh I'm stupid sometimes. :evil: I was having a real rocket run too - lots of PBs for some of the longer trail sections and climbs and the heart rate was in a comfortable zone. Grrr.

So I'll probably be posting here about new bars and grips in a couple of weeks. Might swap in the XT Ice Tech Brakes I bought before Christmas while I'm at it.
Ouch, that sounds very nasty. :( Rest well - hope the recovery goes okay.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Raced it, still dirty from a wet ride Friday arvo. Haven't had time to clean it properly as I'm looking after the kids while Mrs KGB works over the long weekend.

I hate having a dirty bike!

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Put it on the back of my car to take to sorrento. Then accidentally kicked my barbell on the way out of the garage. Currently sitting on the couch icing for the second time in the hope it feels better tomorrow. Or it's off to the docs for me

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Helped fix a recumbent... twice :-) don't ask.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Today (well, tonight) I had to clear out the garage, moving three sacrificial bikes (my Ceres BMX and gf's Ceres mtb, plus gf's childhood bike) into the rear courtyard and disassembling my workstand, so that my gf's little sister can park in the garage while she stays with us for a week.

That said, the garage *does* look nice now that it's clear... all I have to do is get owner's permission to put up some suspension hooks, and I can get more bikes in there. :D
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 pm

@g-boaf thanks for the well wishes. Feeling a bit less sore today although the pinky finger looks like it was transplanted off the Michelin Man. I'm planning on riding to work in the morning ... carefully.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Fell off. Twice.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:47 am

dmwill wrote:Fell off. Twice.
Beat me, I only fell off once :)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS