What did you do with your bike(s) today?

10speedsemiracer

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 pm

member054 wrote:
So what is this nostalgia bike ? Pics pls..

My nostalgia bike is reminiscent of daydreaming in my youth, lost days flipping through cycling magazines rather than paying attention in school (no internet!).

The goal is; classic style with modern components and destined for longer weekend or group rides. Going for well rated and good value components. For now it's just sticking stuff together as I go along and will do a proper build/tension once the bottom bracket and crankset are installed.

I'm hoping on the road sometime in December!

Quick question, those forks look....unique. Are they a retrofit, or were they with that frame oem?
mmm, BioPace

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:05 pm

CKinnard wrote:BTW, unfortunately, I let fellow velo's talk me into buying Di2 for the roadie a few years ago.
Yeah it's good....but so is mechanical shifting system tuned competently.....I would not buy electronic again.

You're the first person I've heard say that. Normally people rave about electronic and say "once you try it you never go back."

I've never tried it so can't comment, but currently using 105, I sure could feel a difference testing Ultegra and Dura-Ace mechanical. Very nice.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

member054

Postby member054 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Quick question, those forks look....unique. Are they a retrofit, or were they with that frame oem?

OEM, Colnago Precisa.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:53 am

CaffeineAU wrote:
Discodan wrote:Have a trawl through this thread, you can get them in a few designs through the 3D print channels including that snap an Ayup on the bottom of a Go_Pro mount under your Garmin

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77691

Yes, when I was considering whether to do my own mount, I read that thread. Unfortunately the options all required the gopro mount, rather than attaching directly to the garmin out front mount.

Revision 2 of my mount, with a more rounded front shape, has been printed and tried out. It works well, so now I'll be getting the tool paths generated and it will be in to the CNC mill :)

Gotcha. I got one of these combo garmin/gopro mounts below (the stem mount ones also looks interesting). It's rock solid and I mount the light on it and every so often even a go-pro. Pic with light mounted at this link https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlR9KEiul8ImtFHyFCf0Znu3vU7j

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 89406.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 00567.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32820268147.html
Last edited by Discodan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am

Mububban wrote:
CKinnard wrote:BTW, unfortunately, I let fellow velo's talk me into buying Di2 for the roadie a few years ago.
Yeah it's good....but so is mechanical shifting system tuned competently.....I would not buy electronic again.

You're the first person I've heard say that. Normally people rave about electronic and say "once you try it you never go back."

I've never tried it so can't comment, but currently using 105, I sure could feel a difference testing Ultegra and Dura-Ace mechanical. Very nice.

Those who say they'd never go back to mech ime don't know how to tune, fine tune, or trim derailleurs!

Shimano mech in the last 5 years is way smoother than before, and if you know how to trim gears, it's absolutely fine.
What I have found with Di2 is the levers/electronic switch gets progressively less responsive, so you have to push the levers just as hard as you would a mech lever to trigger the electronic switch to change gears.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am

My experience is that Di2 doesn't shift noticeably better than mech but it's a lot less maintenance. Yes you can tune a mech to work great as cables wear and when you replace them but I'd rather not, set and forget works for me. So yes I know how to tune, fine tune and trim derailleurs; I just don't want to.

Interestingly I'd never ridden on Shimano mechanical until recently when I put together a parts-bin special gravel bike. The FD is a XT unit actuated by a 105 lever and it is the best shifting FD including Di2 I've ever ridden, a thing of joy. Let's see how it stands up to a bit of wear and tear

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Changed the dashboard a bit with the new (to me) garmin1000.
Fits ok between the twin aldi headlights.
Should be better for my failing eyes. Distance vision is good but reading is getting harder

ImageGarmin 1000

ImageGarmin 1000

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Discodan wrote:My experience is that Di2 doesn't shift noticeably better than mech but it's a lot less maintenance. Yes you can tune a mech to work great as cables wear and when you replace them but I'd rather not, set and forget works for me. So yes I know how to tune, fine tune and trim derailleurs; I just don't want to.

Interestingly I'd never ridden on Shimano mechanical until recently when I put together a parts-bin special gravel bike. The FD is a XT unit actuated by a 105 lever and it is the best shifting FD including Di2 I've ever ridden, a thing of joy. Let's see how it stands up to a bit of wear and tear

I've had a CX for over 3 years (~7000km) with Shimano 105 (5800).
Last friday was the first time I've had to adjust the gears - after riding through wet bog that fouled the tires and brakes. I had to re-tension the front cable at the FD retaining bolt, and tweak the RD barrel. It changes just as sharp as my 2yo Di2 ultegra roadie. In fact I don't have to press the mech levers as hard before the ders move. Never had a bad shift or dropped chain. In fact I rarely see that these days with the 11 speed mech groupsets.

My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.

- On balance, the mech takes up less time and headspace.
- Another advantage of mech is if the frame has cracked, esp around the BB or chain stays, you'll know about it because gear changes will continue to go out of tune.
- I don't know anyone with more than 1 or 2 Di2 bikes. It gets real expensive to have a fully electronic fleet, and keep track of battery charge for all.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm

CKinnard wrote:My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.

How much riding do you do? How hilly maybe? I'll do 7500-11500 k's per annum and charge mine 3 times. What gives?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:34 pm

fat and old wrote:
CKinnard wrote:My Di2 I have to remember to check battery regularly, and recharge- once every 3-5 weeks.

How much riding do you do? How hilly maybe? I'll do 7500-11500 k's per annum and charge mine 3 times. What gives?

Hooley Dooley. I don't anyone who gets ~3000km per charge.

I used to do 250+ a week, but now it's more like 100-150k on the roadie, and more time on the cx.
So up to 600/m. I could probably comfortably get 2 mths between charges, but I don't like surprises.
Everyone I know with Di2 has had rides disrupted by low or no power.
Further, as batteries age, they don't perform as well - see depth of discharge, end of life capacity, temperature, charging rate.
I tend to spin, so change gears more than most to keep rpm >75.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Rode it. Had a serious crack at a segment that I have played with for years (but have not had a real go at for 12 months)...wind was right...legs felt good...smashed it up the very steep hill...was miles ahead of my previous PR...road home all excited to check out progress...only to find my Garmin failing to upload...."Invalid File". Sigh.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

New chain and cassette. Tweaked indexing. Feels good!