What did you do with your bike(s) today?

foo on patrol

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Haven't done it today but over the weekend, I intend taking a dremel to a set of 105 compact cranks to make the outer Rotor Q chainring fit. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am

I fixed a noise.

I had developed a gentle "ticking" sound. It was sort of metallic, but very tinny. It was clearly audible to a guy I was riding with last week. We eventually worked out that it happened both while I was pedaling and coasting, and the noise was once per wheel rotation.

I was worried because I have brand new wheels, and I hoped that there was no problem with them. My riding buddy thought that it may have been a bearing, but I thought that it was a bit too tinny for that.

It didn't happen when I stopped and spun the wheels by hand - only while there was some weight on them.

Anyway, I had a good look over it and it turned out to be the brake blocks. The rear brake blocks were sitting a bit too high on the rim, and one was just catching the tyre in one spot as the wheel rotated. I think that the brake blocks were a bit too high because of the swapping over to the new wheels, and the rim/brake block/tyre being slightly differently placed.

I'm still not sure why the sound would be thin and metallic when this happened. I can only guess that it was because the noise was coming from the caliper itself as things flexed slightly.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:26 am

I rode one of my 3 to take the Mr Leo Bull Terrier to the Vet.