Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

Six cyclists injured after car collision
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/six-cyclists-injured-after-car-collision-20140316-34usd.html

Mod says "No swearing thanks"

I read this straight after reading the thread "Murder Machines" in cycling safety and advocacy.

I can only hope its not any worse than it sounds at this point. :(
yugyug
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

by BNA » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

BNA
 

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby human909 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

Disgusting.

If this was children or women then society wouldn't tolerate this and action would be take. However these are cyclists and apparently cyclists are real people. :(
human909
 
Posts: 4775
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 am

Words fail me. At least printable words fail me. :(

Image
Image
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:05 am

OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.
ball bearing
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Watching the ships on the Southern Ocean

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 am

I'd be the first to pay a 'rego' on my bike if I knew it WOULD change the attitude of these knuckle scrapers.

But we all know the answer to that.
Smithstreet
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 am

The shoulder is pretty narrow on SCD, but there's lots of cycling groups use it like this - especially on weekend mornings.
A radio report (JJJ) suggested some of the cyclists were in the left lane - as they are entitled to be, and that's
also not unusual.

Visibility for motorists is excellent, so this incident is inexcusable - not an accident at all. Hope the police do a thorough
investigation and throw the book at the motorist if there is the slightest thing wrong (eg. texting on phone etc.,.).

Paying rego won't do anything to fix distracted and negligent motorists.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:23 am

Paying rego won't prevent cars running down cyclists. They'll keep doing it, and find some pathetic excuse to keep doing so.

I saw this on SMH and I just cringed looking at the photos. I hope the cyclists recover quickly.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 am

g-boaf wrote:Paying rego

The eternal Furphy :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18275
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:28 am

ball bearing wrote:OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.


There will always be an excuse until we get better education, it will just be something like "you shouldn't have been riding on the road when there was a cycleway right there" or "you shouldn't have been riding two abrest so that cars couldn't get past" or "you're too slow and you need to stop holding up traffic". All of these arguments are equally idiotic, giving into stupid demands isn't the answer.

Sad to hear about this accident, I had a friend call me up to make sure that I wasn't one of the people injured :( It's so wrong that one of the most common parting phrases between cyclists is basically "hope you don't get killed on the way home".
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby herzog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 am

Clear weather, early Sunday morning.

How does this type of thing happen? Substance impairment, a deliberate act or texting would be good lines of enquiry to start with.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am

The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Please lets not perpetuate the myth that these sorts of incidents are accidents, they are not. It is a collision or crash.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:39 am

AndrewBurns wrote:
ball bearing wrote:OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.


There will always be an excuse until we get better education

I don't believe that education is lacking. Any person with half a brain intuitively knows that it is wrong to endanger another person. It appears that we have truly entered the Black Age of the Moron.

To such morons the murderous driver that appears to have deliberately attempted to kill these cyclists is a folk hero.

I agree that this was no accident.
ball bearing
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Watching the ships on the Southern Ocean

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am

I'm not from Sydney, and don't know the road, but looking at Google I see that it has all the outward appearance of a restricted-access freeway, except I'd guess that it is not closed to bikes, as cyclist groups state it is a popular riding route. It seems that Sydney has allowed roads to really be taken over for motor vehicles, with very little consideration for cyclists or pedestrians. Here in Melbourne we have freeways/tollways, that are restricted-access (no bikes); and then ordinary main roads, that have homes, shops, and businesses along them, and any vehicle may use.

In Corsica last year we rode along the only road access into Ajaccio from the south-east. This was not retricted access, bikes were allowed, but it looked like a freeway. Despite some misgivings we had to use it, and simply rde on. As a rule the traffic, in typical European style, was still very reasonable and accommodating to our presence. I doubt this is the case in Sydney.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18275
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:00 pm

ball bearing wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:
ball bearing wrote:OK, make us pay rego so the idiots such as ones' making imbecilic comments on facebook no longer have that excuse to mow down cyclists.


There will always be an excuse until we get better education

I don't believe that education is lacking. Any person with half a brain intuitively knows that it is wrong to endanger another person.

A huge proportion of our drivers do not seem to know that it is wrong to talk on a mobile phone, read text messages, do the make-up, or feed the kids, while driving a car :roll: :evil:

I vote: for much more education for road users, for longer time periods; make driving an expensive privilege; penalise offenders more heavily; and give financial rewards to those who choose to live without using a car.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18275
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm

il padrone wrote:A huge proportion of our drivers do not seem to know that it is wrong to talk on a mobile phone, read text messages, do the make-up, or feed the kids, while driving a car :roll: :evil:


These people don't seem to be aware enough to know that these driving antics are endangering themselves along with every other road user. You can't put sense into an idiot no matter how much they are drilled by an instructor.
ball bearing
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Watching the ships on the Southern Ocean

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:15 pm

The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersA ... 22307871:0
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 pm

queequeg wrote:The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersA ... 22307871:0

I very nearly clicked on the link, but stopped myself.
There is NO point in reading something that you know will make your blood boil!

All we can hope for is that the ferals that are making the comments you speak of... are NOT breeding. :evil:
Smithstreet
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Please lets not perpetuate the myth that these sorts of incidents are accidents, they are not. It is a collision or crash.

Andrew


Good point. Sorry I don't know how to edit the subject line now, but if an admin can oblige I agree it should be changed to "Collision on Southern Cross Dr" and without the "today" as I'm sure this will be active for some time to come.
yugyug
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 pm

The link is to a photo of the scene, you don't have to read the comments, but to summarise them I would have to describe the page as a cluster of the worst of the human race. I really do weep at our future when I see how these people behave. There is a case to be made for introducing a license to live!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Looks horrendous. Best wishes to all cyclists involved and their families.

Incidents like these are becoming far too common. It's absolutely soul destroying reading some of the comments on news articles, Facebook, etc.
ningnangnong
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Re: Accident on Southern Cross Dr today

Postby yugyug » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
queequeg wrote:The comments on the Dashcam Owners Page are truly abhorrent. You will never find a more wretched concentration of villainy & scum than in the comments. The future of the human race is under serious threat.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersA ... 22307871:0

I very nearly clicked on the link, but stopped myself.
There is NO point in reading something that you know will make your blood boil!

All we can hope for is that the ferals that are making the comments you speak of... are NOT breeding. :evil:


Its not all bad - there are a dedicated bunch of cyclists responding to the bile with reason and intelligence, and I applaud them.
yugyug
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby Robinho » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I got sucked into the FB thing and spent some time responding on behalf of the human race
Image
Robinho
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Things might change if the car driver is considered at fault unless they can prove otherwise. How hard can it be to avoid hitting a large group of cyclists on a wide road with decent visibility?
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby herzog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm

If one of the riders was rocking a Fly6 or similar, that driver could be in all kinds of trouble.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Collision on Southern Cross Dr 16/3/2014

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm

yugyug wrote:
Aushiker wrote:The subject line should be edited, as it is not an accident unless there are facts to suggest otherwise. An accident is something that was beyond the control of all involved.

Please lets not perpetuate the myth that these sorts of incidents are accidents, they are not. It is a collision or crash.

Andrew


Good point. Sorry I don't know how to edit the subject line now, but if an admin can oblige I agree it should be changed to "Collision on Southern Cross Dr" and without the "today" as I'm sure this will be active for some time to come.


Looks like it is fixed now.

Thanks
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jasonc, LG, Yahoo [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron