Do you think bicycles are too expensive

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Do you think bicycles are too expensive

Postby Calvin27 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 pm

The comparison with prams etc. is pretty good but it also goes the other way at different price points. Compare an entry level motorbike vs bike at $5000. I don't care how marketers can spin it but there is no way a motorbike has less R&D than a bicycle let alone just the compliance testing. Add to this there are more standardized items on a bicycle even at this price than the motorbike. I'm pretty sure engine development alone is a few orders of magnitude more development than a bike.
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

by BNA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm

BNA

Re: Do you think bicycles are too expensive

Postby barefoot » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Calvin27 wrote:The comparison with prams etc. is pretty good but it also goes the other way at different price points. Compare an entry level motorbike vs bike at $5000. I don't care how marketers can spin it but there is no way a motorbike has less R&D than a bicycle let alone just the compliance testing. Add to this there are more standardized items on a bicycle even at this price than the motorbike. I'm pretty sure engine development alone is a few orders of magnitude more development than a bike.

Sure, but then you have to compare entry level against entry level. <$100 BSOs.

Cars are absurdly cheap, too, and I expect motorcycles are similar. I think that has a lot to do with production volumes. Many, many units to amortise development costs over. Especially cheap ones that can sell big volumes in 3rd world countries.

There are far fewer high-end bikes built (ie over ~$200)... probably even fewer high-end prams... and very few customised wheelchairs.

tim
barefoot

Previous

Return to General discussion