Kudos to the road crew king

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Kudos to the road crew king

Postby Paul B » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 pm

So we are cycling down the highway at about 40kph when I notice the traffic stopped ahead (it is a 100kph zone) and see a road worker with the lollipop sign and the stop facing our direction. The traffic from the other direction has been given the go. Anyhow as we approach, the road worker dude points to the verge and says keep going just stay within the line... while the cars meanwhile, get held back. I could not believe it... a priority pass given by the guy in charge. Has to be a first time for everything I guess... made my day :D
Paul B

by BNA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

BNA

Re: Kudos to the road crew king

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Paul B wrote:So we are cycling down the highway at about 40kph when I notice the traffic stopped ahead (it is a 100kph zone) and see a road worker with the lollipop sign and the stop facing our direction. The traffic from the other direction has been given the go. Anyhow as we approach, the road worker dude points to the verge and says keep going just stay within the line... while the cars meanwhile, get held back. I could not believe it... a priority pass given by the guy in charge. Has to be a first time for everything I guess... made my day :D

Yeah, I've had that too. :D It's pretty nice not having to stop.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:14 pm

This story belongs in the Believe it or not thread - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=73518
Ross

Postby Hoyley » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:48 pm

I had this in a 60km zone in Brisbane once and got the dirtiest looks from the drivers heading the other way. Must have been one of those cue jumping, road rule flaunting cyclists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoyley

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 pm

He was no doubt a cyclist.

A friend of mine has worked as the sign guy on road crews and he always gave any cyclists a preferential treatment :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I can definitely believe that, a few years ago I was stopped at Dulong lookout above Nambour and Mr lollipop guy gave me a 5 second head start over the cars. It's a bitumen rollercoaster that road, so I didn't get caught by the cars for about 5kms :D .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:53 pm

I have disappointing news for all of you.
I was cycling on the same highway as PaulB today, two hours behind. I, too, had the same experience; permitted to proceed while cars behind me were held. There was an explanation too; that was that "If I keep you waiting here, it will be all day before we get you to the other end, and then get the traffic up there running again" !!!!

Ego totaly deflated :cry:

:D :D I know that I am not very fast, but I'm sure that I am pretty to watch......... :D :D
master6

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Still better than what happened to us in Italy, when heading towards Volterra.

Any road to Volterra is all uphill. Road works (no workers) and an automatic temporary traffic lights. We were riding fully-loaded touring bikes. We got the green and rode as fast as we were able, but while I was still a good 200m short of the end of the roadworks, the lights had changed. Oncoming drivers with the green light just came on down, passing us, with a very narrow margin for clearance. I waved then to go wide, and got pretty pissed off, yelling a few choice Old English phrases at their arrogant impatience, not simply waiting until the road was clear. Most went by OK, but one was a rather large motor-home, and yelled something as they went past. Further down the road the passenger abused my wife out the window.

I cannot tell you what I would have done to the fat woman passenger :x
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby kb » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:25 am

ldrcycles wrote:I can definitely believe that, a few years ago I was stopped at Dulong lookout above Nambour and Mr lollipop guy gave me a 5 second head start over the cars. It's a bitumen rollercoaster that road, so I didn't get caught by the cars for about 5kms :D .

Did they rev in annoyance when they finally caught up as if you'd held them up?
kb

Return to General discussion