What's with angry roadies?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

What's with angry roadies?

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 am

I ride MTB and road. Can someone tell me why roadies (including TT and the like) are super angry? Too many high ego CEOs and investment bankers taking up road biking and don't have the skills for MTB or what?

Here is a snapshot of my weekend ride.
1. Roadie get upset and exchanged a few words on the trails. This guy could out-power me any day but for some reason slowed to almost a stop around corners. He got angry at me because I repeatedly overtook him just before corners.I'm not stupid and made sure 100% that it was safe to do so and overtook on the straight about 10m before the corner entry (yes he was braking that far out... talk about needing to upgrade to disc brakes!)
2. Roadie swore at me on the road because I did a hook turn and then stopped on the emergency lane. He was about 5 seconds clear (oncoming) after I had made the cross and was riding in the car lane anyways. There was no bike lane and the emergency lane was loose bitumen.
3. Roadie gave me verbal bump to move it because I didn't make a road crossing that I judged to not have enough time.
4. Roadie runs every single red light. I kept up because I was in the bike lane adjacent to the road where there were no lights (ironic right?)

Seriously guys relax! What with roadies and their aggression? Gives most cyclist a bad wrap. Maybe it's chasing all those times - whereas MTBrs seems to just enjoy ripping up the trails.
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Third bike - Monstercross!
Calvin27

by BNA » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 am

BNA

Re: What's with angry roadies?

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 am

What roadies really hate is ... being passed by a mountain biker. No wonder you pissed them off! :lol:

Yes I ride both, road more than mtb of late. Can't say I've encountered too many hyperinflated egos. In fact when AUBicycles and I were riding West Head in the middle of MWCC's Hubbard race a couple of months ago, they were singularly polite, appreciative and friendly. Although, we were on road bikes.

The only time I've encountered it is when I pass roadies on climbs with the knobblies on. They suddenly realise they were coasting and decide to put the hammer down and try to pass me. If they succeed, it's a great way to get a tow up a climb ;)

I hear what you're saying about them on the trails, though. They blast past on the fire road climbs and then tippy toe around everything else. I even heard one complaining at one event (The Mont, I think) about all the rocks! :shock:

I'm looking to buy a power meter at the moment. Besides helping me to train smarter to cut the power deficit, better fitness makes the techy stuff flow easier and more enjoyably anyway.
Last edited by trailgumby on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailgumby

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:52 am

Good point, I was in fact riding my roadie but it had discs so that might have caused offence.
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am

Was the roadie on the trails on a crosser?
trailgumby

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

trailgumby wrote:What roadies really hate is ... being passed by a mountain biker. No wonder you pissed them off! :lol

Think that is the only time I've seen the agro, but it's definitely a stereotype. Must be the head down bum up training attitude that makes them forget the wind in the hair freedom of cycling attitude. Could also be the too frequent close encounters with the moron motorists, enough to make anyone a bit tense. You don't get many MMs on the trails fortunately.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:48 pm

This is when you ride along at a steady slow pace. It irritates those people who want to race you. Especially if you are on a light road-bike (on a cycleway).

I don't know why so many MTB riders must always see it as a race. Sometimes it is nice to just ride along at your own speed.
g-boaf

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:56 pm

So where these all the same person or different ones? Sounds like he/them was being a jerk. Don't worry about it.
Ross

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm

How does riding along at a steady slow pace make one abuse other riders ???
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby TTar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 pm

I think that it was a weekend is the key factor here.

I've noticed a similar phenomenon but only on weekends and it's typically those CEO/banker types Calvin mentioned. They're alpha males on day release.

What drives them, I think, is ego and prestige. And that's where you hit them; however righteous their bike may be, mock it: say "Campag on a Pinarello!? Pfft", and casually veer away.
Sent from my fortified compound
TTar

Postby lobstermash » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:What roadies really hate is ... being passed by a mountain biker. No wonder you pissed them off! :lol:

Hehe, you should see the reactions I get when I pass on my BikeE (recumbent, and not a fast one either...)!!! Solid gold.
lobstermash

Postby nescius » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm

trailgumby wrote:I hear what you're saying about them on the trails, though. They blast past on the fire road climbs and then tippy toe around everything else. I even heard one complaining at one event (The Mont, I think) about all the rocks! :shock:

I heard a quote from a roadie doing Capital Punishment this year that there was a bit too much single track (I think it was something like 60% firetrail). I remember racing the Mont last year and just destroying people on the firetrail sections, but when it came to the twisty single track stuff I was completely out of my element (I was very courteous though and would never pass anyone coming into single track sections, I was racing for fun rather than to win and didn't want to ruin anyone elses fun either!).

Some people are just grumpy, who knows why but they probably have their reasons. I always try to offer a smile or wave or a nod hello to other riders and if I get something in return that's great but if not I just assume they are having a bad day and I carry on with what I'm doing. I don't think I've ever had another cyclist (roadie, mtb, or other) yell at me, except maybe while racing haha!
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm

il padrone wrote:How does riding along at a steady slow pace make one abuse other riders ???

I think you've misunderstood, either intentionally or not. More likely intentional.

I find the topic ironic, with the whole "relax" bit. The original topic doesn't seem that relaxed. If you were so relaxed, wouldn't you just take a breath and forget it?
g-boaf

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 pm

No abuse that I could tell.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:
il padrone wrote:How does riding along at a steady slow pace make one abuse other riders ???

I think you've misunderstood, either intentionally or not. More likely intentional.

I thought that you were talking about road cyclists just riding along at a steady slow pace, and that they then get pissed when other riders go by - maybe not :?: My question still stands - how does this cause them to hurl abuse and aggro at another rider, as the OP mentions?

Yes, for sure, all should take a chill-pill. But it's not so nice when another rider abuses you - hence the post on here by the OP. BTW the OP said nothing about jumping in with a rejoinder at the time of the abuse, something many would be very tempted to do.
il padrone

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

TTar wrote:I've noticed a similar phenomenon but only on weekends and it's typically those CEO/banker types Calvin mentioned. They're alpha males on day release.

This. But what I don't get is I head the wrong way up a single track and the badass middle aged guy who also can't ride for the life on him on their brand new carbon 28.25er on singletrack is still chirpy and nicely tells me its one way.

What gives? Strava times? Is road biking less fun unless you're constantly smashing out PBs?
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

Postby rokwiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Whats with angry roadies?

What, you've only just noticed !! They're been like that since the 90's. It's the "'I'm training" and the steroids mix.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752
rokwiz

Postby uglybob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
TTar wrote:I've noticed a similar phenomenon but only on weekends and it's typically those CEO/banker types Calvin mentioned. They're alpha males on day release.

This. But what I don't get is I head the wrong way up a single track and the badass middle aged guy who also can't ride for the life on him on their brand new carbon 28.25er on singletrack is still chirpy and nicely tells me its one way.

What gives? Strava times? Is road biking less fun unless you're constantly smashing out PBs?

i'm confused - you're riding the wrong way up some single track, and he is the d!ck? :?
uglybob

Postby rokwiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeh I thought that, but then is there a right and wrong way on a single track ? I've never asked the wombats which they prefer.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752
rokwiz

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:01 pm

uglybob wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:This. But what I don't get is I head the wrong way up a single track and the badass middle aged guy who also can't ride for the life on him on their brand new carbon 28.25er on singletrack is still chirpy and nicely tells me its one way.

i'm confused - you're riding the wrong way up some single track, and he is the d!ck? :?

I think his point was that you can be a dick on the trails (as he would've been) and the other guy just tells you off fairly politely - with humour instead of abuse :idea:
il padrone

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:I hear what you're saying about them on the trails, though. They blast past on the fire road climbs and then tippy toe around everything else. I even heard one complaining at one event (The Mont, I think) about all the rocks! :shock:

This is me in enduro's. I'm not anywhere near as fast as some of the powerful road riders out for a weekend lap, but get stuck behind them on the descents and tech stuff. Can get frustrating, but thems the rbeaks. If I want it different I've got to fix my legs.

il padrone wrote:I think his point was that you can be a dick on the trails (as he would've been) and the other guy just tells you off fairly politely - with humour instead of abuse

There's something about MTBers that helps us enjoy the ride for what it is, maybe it is that we are used to obstacles that slow our progress?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Stuey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Last Friday. 50 something rider Perth central. Young lady innocently got caught straddling cycle lane where it traverses the road due to heavy traffic expectedly piling up, but still room for bikes to get round. Mr. 50+ (sans helmet BTW) cracks the shits and yells at her, calls her a name, then rides off exaggeratedly shaking his head and huffing his disgust at having to (HORROR!) steer around her bonnet. She was stopped for some minutes; this was not a collision averted. Me on foot says Say What... all I can think of is the bad name given to us cyclists...
Stuey

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

nescius wrote:....
Some people are just grumpy, who knows why but they probably have their reasons. I always try to offer a smile or wave or a nod hello to other riders and if I get something in return that's great but if not I just assume they are having a bad day and I carry on with what I'm doing. I don't think I've ever had another cyclist (roadie, mtb, or other) yell at me, except maybe while racing haha!

Yep - it's not 'angry roadies' per se, it's just general 'angry man (usually) syndrome' - there's a lot of it about. They used to be impatient pedantic pricks on the golf course in the 80s/90s and now they ride bikes.

Generally something to do with everything else except golf/riding/whatever...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
nescius wrote:....

Yep - it's not 'angry roadies' per se, it's just general 'angry man (usually) syndrome' - there's a lot of it about. They used to be impatient pedantic pricks on the golf course in the 80s/90s and now they ride bikes.

Generally something to do with everything else except golf/riding/whatever...

Well maybe, and without casting nasturtiums, if the OP gets grief 4 times or more in one ride I'd suggest maybe questioning your own roadcraft or behaviour might also be in order. But I wasn't there.
rustychisel

Postby rokwiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm

And race yachts.
rokwiz

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

il padrone wrote:I think his point was that you can be a dick on the trails (as he would've been) and the other guy just tells you off fairly politely - with humour instead of abuse :idea:

Yeah just an example. I wasn't saying I was right that one time.

Stuey wrote:Last Friday. 50 something rider Perth central. Young lady innocently got caught straddling cycle lane where it traverses the road due to heavy traffic expectedly piling up, but still room for bikes to get round. Mr. 50+ (sans helmet BTW) cracks the shits and yells at her, calls her a name, then rides off exaggeratedly shaking his head and huffing his disgust at having to (HORROR!) steer around her bonnet. She was stopped for some minutes; this was not a collision averted. Me on foot says WT?... all I can think of is the bad name given to us cyclists...

I've seen a lot of similar things. Heck I've even seen a guy get yelled at for clip stacking.
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

Next

Return to General discussion