What's with angry roadies?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: What's with angry roadies?

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 pm

I've come across some very unpleasant people on mountain bikes too, I don't think it's just a roady thing. That said copping abuse from motorists can give you a very short fuse.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

by BNA » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm

BNA

Postby zero » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Calvin27 wrote:I ride MTB and road. Can someone tell me why roadies (including TT and the like) are super angry? Too many high ego CEOs and investment bankers taking up road biking and don't have the skills for MTB or what?

Here is a snapshot of my weekend ride.
1. Roadie get upset and exchanged a few words on the trails. This guy could out-power me any day but for some reason slowed to almost a stop around corners. He got angry at me because I repeatedly overtook him just before corners.I'm not stupid and made sure 100% that it was safe to do so and overtook on the straight about 10m before the corner entry (yes he was braking that far out... talk about needing to upgrade to disc brakes!)

I presume this was not on single track.

FYI - if you are travelling at 2x the speed of the other rider, starting front wheel 1m behind his rear, you need 12m to clear him. You probably weren't going twice as fast as him at that point, so I'd imagine you had wheel overlap at the start of the corner which is making it impossible for the other rider to set any sort of line, and its quite possible you were sweeping back over his front wheel and forcing him to avoid you too, which people don't like to do entering corners. If you put him to all that risk, and then ride really slowly after the corner, then yes he's got every right to be annoyed with you. If you did it to me twice, you would be being told off the third time.

2. Roadie swore at me on the road because I did a hook turn and then stopped on the emergency lane. He was about 5 seconds clear (oncoming) after I had made the cross and was riding in the car lane anyways. There was no bike lane and the emergency lane was loose bitumen.

ahh if I'm doing 45 on the roadie, then 5 seconds is > 60m away. If in practice you do some lazily turn what you think is 5 seconds away, but is really 2 seconds away, without it being abundantly clear to me that you will not foul my intended line of travel, then I have a pressing need to emergency brake, which I will find annoying if you did so when you were supposed to give way to me. I have to do this until its clear you have cleared my line of travel. We would hope that other cyclists would recognize that momentum is hard won on bicycles.

You are very much equivalent to the numbskulls right turning in cars that will block 2 and a half lanes and leave me half a lane to get past them, blissfully unaware that by doing that it is impossible for me to tell them apart from someone that is failing to give way, until they stop, therefore I must brake until its clear that my line of travel will not be fouled, and therefore being the impatient dimweeds they are, will make me actually take longer to clear their intended line of travel.

3. Roadie gave me verbal bump to move it because I didn't make a road crossing that I judged to not have enough time.

Let me guess, you just shoaled him

4. Roadie runs every single red light. I kept up because I was in the bike lane adjacent to the road where there were no lights (ironic right?)

Seriously guys relax! What with roadies and their aggression? Gives most cyclist a bad wrap. Maybe it's chasing all those times - whereas MTBrs seems to just enjoy ripping up the trails.

meh, every rider of every style of bicycle does that, and then as soon as the distance opens up, they'll all jump up on the kerb to get on my wheel too.
zero

Postby rokwiz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:03 am

Zero,
Thanks for the science lesson.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752
rokwiz

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 am

ldrcycles wrote:I've come across some very unpleasant people on mountain bikes too, I don't think it's just a roady thing. That said copping abuse from motorists can give you a very short fuse.

Randomly reminds me of riding a just purchased very good MTB (GT STS for those old enough to remember), bought the bike without forks as I wanted to put some Marzocchi Z1's (the original ones) so put some cheap forks off my old bike to tide me over (gotta love uni student funds). Out riding and a guy abused me repeatedly for having such cheap forks on, not just once but every time we met on the ride- half a dozen times, ended when I threatened to shove his forks somewhere to check if the sun did shine there.

BTW the bike and the Z1's where awesome and still ranks as one of my favs.

Also angry people are everywhere but do agree roadies get stuck in their PRO face and fail to recognise anyone and only show emotion when overtaken by a Knobby tyred MTB with panniers and two kids seats on ridden by a Mary Magdalene look alike (it has happened, recovery ride :oops: I swear)
CXCommuter

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 am

CXCommuter wrote: Out riding and a guy abused me repeatedly for having such cheap forks on, not just once but every time we met on the ride- half a dozen times, ended when I threatened to shove his forks somewhere to check if the sun did shine there.

Wow really? I would never comment about a component on someone's bike unless it was falling off/undone/looked dangerous. Who really cares what components someone else has on their bike? It's their bike, they are entitled to use whatever they want, they paid for it. I might have a dig in jest at a mate and his/her choice of components. I have some friends that have Campy groupsets and I'll joke with them and say when are you going to upgrade to Shimano, but we both know it's only a joke and a bit of light hearted banter.
Ross

Postby trainedmonkey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am

Calvin27 wrote:1. Roadie get upset and exchanged a few words on the trails. This guy could out-power me any day but for some reason slowed to almost a stop around corners. He got angry at me because I repeatedly overtook him just before corners.I'm not stupid and made sure 100% that it was safe to do so and overtook on the straight about 10m before the corner entry (yes he was braking that far out... talk about needing to upgrade to disc brakes!)

I think you might have been on some shaky ground etiquette-wise with this one. MTBA has some guidelines here which seem pretty consistent with what I've encountered before.
trainedmonkey

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 am

I passed a roadie on a hill climb after he was nearly having a heart attack swerving from one side to the other trying to block me . I get to the top of the climb and wait for a set of traffic lights to change and he catches up.

When the lights change I start to descend down the hill and roadie yells out " get out of the way " there was heaps of room to pass in the first place but I move over even more. So he goes like a bull at a gate down the decline and thinks its going to help him climb the next incline easier. He gets halfway up the incline and I pass him like he is standing still again and im not even trying to race him.
Last edited by Dragster1 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragster1

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am

zero wrote:ahh if I'm doing 45 on the roadie, then 5 seconds is > 60m away. If in practice you do some lazily turn what you think is 5 seconds away, but is really 2 seconds away, without it being abundantly clear to me that you will not foul my intended line of travel, then I have a pressing need to emergency brake, which I will find annoying if you did so when you were supposed to give way to me. I have to do this until its clear you have cleared my line of travel. We would hope that other cyclists would recognize that momentum is hard won on bicycles.

You are very much equivalent to the numbskulls right turning in cars that will block 2 and a half lanes and leave me half a lane to get past them, blissfully unaware that by doing that it is impossible for me to tell them apart from someone that is failing to give way, until they stop, therefore I must brake until its clear that my line of travel will not be fouled, and therefore being the impatient dimweeds they are, will make me actually take longer to clear their intended line of travel.

I don't think you needed to say all that. This just seems to be a wind up topic, though maybe I'm mistaken.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm

trainedmonkey wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:1. Roadie get upset and exchanged a few words on the trails. This guy could out-power me any day but for some reason slowed to almost a stop around corners. He got angry at me because I repeatedly overtook him just before corners.I'm not stupid and made sure 100% that it was safe to do so and overtook on the straight about 10m before the corner entry (yes he was braking that far out... talk about needing to upgrade to disc brakes!)

I think you might have been on some shaky ground etiquette-wise with this one. MTBA has some guidelines here which seem pretty consistent with what I've encountered before.

What we often find on the trails that cyclists who mostly road ride tend to be quite quick point to point on the trails but often find themselves piling into a corner too quick in the wrong gear or using a 'road like' line and so they either over-brake or brake too early or try and get out of the corner in too high a gear (ie slowly) which means that other cyclists who spend more time on their mountain bikes tend to either get round them on, before or just after the corners or simply pile up behind them. And if they do get past then the cyclists who mostly road ride often have the power in the wrong gears to overhaul the fast spinning MTBer using the gears 'properly'...

Of course...if you are trying to pass someone on the trails (whether racing or merely riding) then the proper etiquette is to call 'TRACK' and allow the cyclist in front to determine a safe place to nominate which side you should pass on. Don't just barrel past them with a big !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! attitude - that serves no-one.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby BriP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:04 pm

have to say though there have been more and more jerkface cyclists (road biking) on the regular saturday routes we take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BriP

Previous

Return to General discussion