Garmin edge HRM and Cadence stopped at same time

Garmin edge HRM and Cadence stopped at same time

Postby azzurribike » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Ok so on Sunday I did 5 Dams Challenge , my longest ride. At 142Km my HRM and Cadence both stopped recording. Anyone else have issues with their Garmin. Of all rides, I'm slightly :twisted: :roll: annoyed I now have no clue how I performed in the hardest part of my ride. That is apart from the obvious that it was tough.
be the change in the world you want to see
azzurribike

by BNA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 pm

BNA

Re: Garmin edge HRM and Cadence stopped at same time

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 pm

What garmin?
I've done some long rides and around the 6-7hr mark with garmin turned on, it seems my ant+ dies. Garmin Edge 810 I've got, and I haven't contacted garmin support yet. It's happened to me twice now.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby mikgit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

I've had it when my garmin decides to not have them paired when I start it (fr610) and also my andriod with ewndomondo has had both stop at the same time and I have had to re-pair them mid ride. Damn annoying.
Cervelo R3, GT Xizang
mikgit

Postby azzurribike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:35 am

Baalzamon its edge 510. not very pleased with it to be honest, I had a 705 for years which was faultless. This thing just behaves badly, even starting a ride if it has not got the satellites fully after start I get message movement is detected which asks me to hit start then save screen comes up and I have to hit start for a 3rd time. its just not good firmware compared to the older 705. It won't even connect via bluetooth to my iphone 5s properly, the list goes on..... :roll:
azzurribike

Postby li2099 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 am

Had similar issues before. Decided the software was too buggy so returned it for a refund and bought a Garmin 500.
Faultless so far.
I can live without the color screen.
li2099

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 am

i have a 510 and the settings have a mind of their own sometimes. i've had HR coupling disable itself in between the end and start of a new ride. i have HR display periodically substitute itself with Calories burnt, which is always 0 and i don't care anyway. i've also had the device last week refuse to boot up, but now it's OK again and hasn't misbehaved since. it's probably worth getting firmware updates - i haven't tried that yet, i assume they're available.
jules21

Postby azzurribike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Has anyone had a response from Garmin on these issues.

Jules21, I had the substitute calories come out of nowhere as well, forgot about that one.
azzurribike

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 pm

To me it's like the ANT+ is falling over.
Mine has happened on long rides or when I've started a ride, left the garmin on and had a long break. Seems to be over a 6hr time on and this is when the problem arises.
HRM will show a static figure and cadence will be 0. You can't simply resync them. I haven't tried turning it off and back on I admit, but we shouldn't have to do this.
Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I've just rung garmin support and they have so far told me to master reset it. I'm doing a long ride on saturday over 6hrs so it will either fall over again, or it won't. Will update after said ride.
Baalzamon

Postby moya » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 pm

It has happened to me about 5 or 6 times with the Edge 510, where it seems to lose all ANT+ connections. HRM and cadence disappear. There is nothing to do but turn off the 510 and turn it on again. I haven't figured out why it happens but I am wary to upgrade firmware because with Garmin there is a non-negligible chance it will make things worse. They make decent hardware but their firmware and software is completely sub-standard.

Doing a master reset is a cop out suggestion that basically amounts to "turn it off and on, and hope it doesn't happen again".
moya

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 pm

my garmin crapped itself properly this weekend. i did the master reset - didn't help. the trigger for the crash appeared to be accidentally leaving it recording overnight. after that the flash drive became corrupted, along with files stored in it. i formatted the drive using MS Explorer then updated the firmware using Garmin Connect. it now works fine again..
jules21

Postby rheicel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:52 pm

My 510 requires twice the master reset and master reset on its own. It is now behaving nicely (touch wood) after those tree master reset. Phone connectivity is working well including the live tracking. So all my rides will just automatically upload to Garmin connect, then to Strava which is pretty cool ei!

The only feature that is not working is the Facebook live tracking share. It looks like it is more on the iOS rather than the device itself. So each time I want to enable the Facebook live tracking, the application will crash. I managed to get around with it by enabling the twitter. My twitter is set to post on my Facebook wall anyway.

510 is a great device, hoping that Garmin can fix all the bugs sooner.
rheicel

Postby joomz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm

There's a discussion on this issue here:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... connecting
Apparently turning the 510 off and then on again will cause it to pick up all the ant+ devices again. I've had it happen near the end of a looong ride a couple of times and have been too scared to try this in case it loses the whole ride, but others have had success.
joomz

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

joomz wrote:I've had it happen near the end of a looong ride a couple of times and have been too scared to try this in case it loses the whole ride, but others have had success.

you don't lose the ride by switching it off. garmin is very good like that, you have to re-confirm losing a ride otherwise it's still there.
jules21

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 pm

And it happened again today after 5hrs 42mins with the Edge 810 on. Stopped and restarted it. Picked up sensors again after doing this. Going to call Garmin again on Tuesday citing the fact I've already hard reset it and the problem still persists and there is a problem with the 510/810 firmware causing the ANT+ to fall over.
Baalzamon

Postby sminns » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

I had to replace mine under warranty for this, apparently can't be fixed. Now I have a new prob on the replacement unit (reconditioned) but Google seems to have helped - had to format the unit in windows explorer and start from bare bones
sminns

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:47 pm

not good to hear that the firmware is playing up, disappointing.

Seems strange how the older 500 can work faultlessly but the 510 is plagued with issues. Not satisfactory at all.

I just plumped for the 500 and fortunately it works faultlessly... thus far. Getting the HR monitor to pair wasn't seamless, but now that it has it is working well. I'd be pi55ed if it started playing up. Keen to hear if Garmin can resolve.

Sounds like a replacement unit is the least they can do.
Cheers, Flash

2014 TREK Domane 5.2
Fizik Arione CX Kium Saddle
Bontrager Race X Lite Wheelset and Road 3 Tubeless Tyres
flashpixx

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 pm

So I emailed Garmin Support today and suprise suprise there is a firmware update to 3.0

Changes for manufacturing. is all in the changelog.
I wonder what Garmin will email me back. Telling me to factory reset it again = cop out, and I told them I've already contacted Garmin about this. If they say unit is faulty and send it back. I''ll ask for an edge 800 instead and some cash thanks...
Baalzamon

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 pm

They sometimes hide what they have on the new update. I have to go and upgrade now as there is really nothing to lose coming from 2.9. :D
rheicel

Return to Garmin