UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

robbo mcs

Re: UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

I have been up and down Winnats pass in Derbyshire, which was the site of this accident. For reference it is very steep descent. The road is quite narrow too. Certainly tests out your brakes. Not the kind of place where casual riders who haven't ridden for a year go.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 pm

I also recall a deadly crash where a female cyclist couldn't brake properly with rim brakes. In that case, hydraulic disc brakes would have saved her life.

Was that they case where she couldn't apply sufficient force because her hands were too small for the brake lever reach? And didn't that lead to some sort of action against the bike shop that sold her the bike for not setting it up for her correctly?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm

RobertL wrote:
I also recall a deadly crash where a female cyclist couldn't brake properly with rim brakes. In that case, hydraulic disc brakes would have saved her life.

Was that they case where she couldn't apply sufficient force because her hands were too small for the brake lever reach? And didn't that lead to some sort of action against the bike shop that sold her the bike for not setting it up for her correctly?

Yes, that's the one.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:She screamed "my brakes have gone" before hitting the dry stone wall.
Using my razor sharp detective skills. I'm tipping there may have been a problem with her brakes. ;)

That happened to my wife several years ago when she borrowed my bike. Childhood habits had her backpedalling. Whoops!