UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

g-boaf

Re: UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:10 pm

CKinnard wrote:One of the main reasons I'd consider disc brakes is to accommodate wider tires >28mm.
I don't know of any side pull brakes that take them.
I presume some center pull brakes would. What's everyone's view/experience with rim brakes for wider tires?

GBoaf, I had no idea you are so light (compact!), a big advantage fitting into Italian super cars!

I used to be way unfit, I worked very hard to change that. I do okay in the hills. :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 pm

RobertL wrote:
CKinnard wrote:Why does any sub 70kg rider (most pro mountain stage winners) need disc brakes?
Not that it makes much difference, but if we're talking about the pro riders, then you have to consider the mountain stage losers as well as the winners. So you're looking at 80kg or maybe 85kg (max) sprinters descending those same hills.

All of whom are still lighter than most amateurs, to be sure.
It's completely irrelevant how the big sprinters descend on the big hills. They've already lost 10 minutes to the climbers who are off having their own battle. They could walk down as long as the don't miss the cutoff.. :mrgreen:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Disc brakes are yet another chink in the armour of exclusivity when it comes to road racing. 26" wheels and knobby tyres have always been allowed (or at least not banned), similarly V brakes, however these were rarely used by the average punter who might want to race. Then disc brakes came along and eventually were being used on otherwise regular road bikes, so the barrier of rules was put up to keep the undesirables out.

It is the thin end of the wedge, what's next flat bars? 29" tyres? Before you know it people will be lobbing up to bike clubs on any old machine and will hope to get a start. I hope they have predominantly black shorts and white socks...
:evil: :twisted:
Cheers,

Cameron

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 pm

CKinnard wrote:One of the main reasons I'd consider disc brakes is to accommodate wider tires >28mm.
I don't know of any side pull brakes that take them.
You need to get out more. :D :D :D
Even the OMG-buy-this-now-and-change-your-life cycling sites have tech shots from Paris-Roubaix every year showing 30mm or similar tyres with rim brakes. Usually side pulls but occasionally something else. Scroll back a few years for some real fun - cantis were popular a while back.
CKinnard wrote:I presume some center pull brakes would. What's everyone's view/experience with rim brakes for wider tires?
Quality centre pull calipers, with braze on mounts, are the ne plus ultra of rim brakes (if you look carefully you can even get them in hydraulic). The current "direct mount" brakes are basically centre pulls with vestigial side pull cable attachments. Pretty much the same as a Dia-Compe #610, but smaller.

Cantis are, on a good day, almost as good as centre pulls, but keeping them that way is a challenge as adjusting them to compensate for pad wear is an acquired skill.

Linear pull (a.k.a. MTB/Hybrid/City) brakes are the cheaper chicken, being almost as good and dead simple. IIRC Tektro do a decent short-pull (brifter compatible) set.

Both cantis and "linear pull" need forks with canti bosses braised on.

There's a dirty little secret that the industry doesn't want you to know: sidepull brakes exist with up to 95mm of reach and the ability to take 2" or larger tyres. Now you won't find them badged Dura Ace but they exist. Some (Tektro, Shimano) are pretty good, especially in the saner sizes (below 73mm).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Disc wearing the polkadots
OMG! Discs will get me get UP the mountain! ImageImageImage

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am

Jmuzz wrote:Disc wearing the polkadots
https://www.facebook.com/globalcyclingn ... 633495631/
The discs seemed a bit scarce today. I didn't see any in the coverage.. maybe they didn't run it long enough? I don't understand - everyone in here assures me they are faster on hilly stages?? :roll:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I didn't notice any severed limbs or slashed throats during all the carnage of the cobbled stage, nor in all the other crashes so far on this Tour. And they gave themselves every opportunity to slice and dice with all those crashes!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Alaphilippe is rocking them at the moment, and he’s in the Polka dot jersey, so they must be useless ...

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:23 am

What is most entertaining about this thread is the amount of partisan comments. You could say that about any thread on this forum or others but I find that this one people have so much passion for such an inconsequential matter even at the bleeding edge of competition.

(My partisan view: Disc brakes are great WHEN then conditions warrant them.)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:13 am

human909 wrote:What is most entertaining about this thread is the amount of partisan comments. You could say that about any thread on this forum or others but I find that this one people have so much passion for such an inconsequential matter even at the bleeding edge of competition.

(My partisan view: Disc brakes are great WHEN then conditions warrant them.)
The thing that cracks me up.. is the crickets. :mrgreen:

What I don't understand is the position that disc brakes are great on MTB so they must be great for road bikes. My argument all along is that road bikes are not mountain bikes. There are a few key differences that and that's how it goes. I understand that some people may like them on their road bike because they have particular aspects of their usage that suit them. Good for you. However the blanket statement that discs are the best system for all road biking is just misguided.

I think this tour for me re-inforces my opinion that disc brakes are not a performance benefit on a road bike. They are legal - yet anyone who has any serious GC hopes has chosen not to use them. The only question now is whether the manufacturers can come to some agreement to go full disc. Even then I think you'll have some hold out looking for free speed by going rim. :mrgreen:

Now back to choosing my disc brakes for my fat bike... :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 am

Comedian wrote:The thing that cracks me up.. is the crickets. :mrgreen:
:D
Still early days. Maybe the discs will come and those now silent will cry victory. In the meantime, there is more choice and more ways people can spend their money!
Comedian wrote:Now back to choosing my disc brakes for my fat bike... :lol:
Half the fun is in the choosing! :D The other half is using and reassuring yourself you've made the right choice! :P

Personally, I have a bit of a nostalgic luddite bias when it comes to bicycles. That said I would say a large amount of bicycle 'tech' development in road bicycles in the last 15 years has offered negligible benefit to consumers. (Some would even argue longer than 15years!)

Much of this tech has come at increased cost, maintenance and reduced durability. (I'm looking at you thinner drive chains, fragile frames and electronic shifting.) But these are things that don't affect the professionals so they've been happily taken up. Disc brakes for road bikes though don't seem to offer the benefits needed.

In contrast in countries where bicycles are considered primarily a utility item rather than a hobby toy, the biggest developments are drastically different. There the drive has been towards lower maintenance and ebikes. Both things that joe-average-utilitarian-cyclist desires.

(Most of us on this forum probably are closer to hobbyist/enthusiast rather than joe-average-utilitarian-cyclist.)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 pm

human909 wrote:What is most entertaining about this thread is the amount of partisan comments.
It has gone on too long to be interesting anymore now it is just argument for argument's sake.

Ironic coming from me, yes I know :oops: :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:31 am

Yes I have no doubt in 50 year's time we can look back upon this thread as just another desperate attempt to convince us we don't need some new technology which is by now taken for granted and the young ones will be amazed at how strenuously we argued about something so trivial and ultimately inevitable. "Weren't they funny back then! Hey have you seen the new hyper-dimensional cranks," they will ask, "they let you pedal in hyperspace to avoid wind drag on your ankles".
"Ridiculous", will say another, "we don't need those, nothing wrong with good old laser cranks, they have done me well enough for years".
"Oh they said that about disc brakes back in 2018 and now look."
"Yes but disc brakes were different. These new cranks, we just don't need them!"
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 am

silentC wrote:"Weren't they funny back then! Hey have you seen the new hyper-dimensional cranks," they will ask, "they let you pedal in hyperspace to avoid wind drag on your ankles".
"Ridiculous", will say another, "we don't need those, nothing wrong with good old laser cranks, they have done me well enough for years".
"Oh they said that about disc brakes back in 2018 and now look."
"Yes but disc brakes were different. These new cranks, we just don't need them!"
FWIW I think hyper-dimensional cranks are fine on Mars where there is less gravity, but here on Earth laser cranks are fine.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 am

Luddite!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:It has gone on too long to be interesting anymore now it is just argument for argument's sake.
No it's not!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Thoglette wrote: No it's not!
:) :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am

Polka dot jersey, and basically all the GC contenders riding rim brakes despite being able to use discs if they want. And still a week of hills to go. :mrgreen: It would appear discs are the choice of losers and sprinters. :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:46 am

warthog1 wrote:
Thoglette wrote: No it's not!
:) :)
One of my favourite sketches next to the Cheese shop .... :lol: :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am

silentC wrote:Yes I have no doubt in 50 year's time we can look back upon this thread as just another desperate attempt to convince us we don't need some new technology which is by now taken for granted and the young ones will be amazed at how strenuously we argued about something so trivial and ultimately inevitable.
New technology!? Disc brakes for bicycles have been around at least 40 years if not already 50! Your same argument could equally apply to pneumatic tyres, shaft drive bicycles, non round chainrings....

Oh and your framing of this thread "as just another desperate attempt to convince us we don't need some new technology" is pretty flawed way of describing this discussion. I haven't seen a single person suggest there are no uses for disc brakes.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:36 am

Not one for humour are you?
- Me

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 pm

silentC wrote:Not one for humour are you?
He paid for a 5 min argument !

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:He paid for a 5 min argument !
No I didn't. I paid £8 for the 10min course! :wink: :P

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Personally I think we should have stuck with this:

Since then it's just been bike companies bringing out new things we dont't really need to get us to buy more bikes.