UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

g-boaf

Re: UCI expected to approve Road Disc Brakes for 2016

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote:It's very easy to be critical and/or sarcastic from the comfort of our own keyboards.

Same as the hysteria against disc brakes.

Anyway, he's still bloody lucky, but here is his comment from the article linked

"I really panicked. Chainrings are sort of a necessity and they're there, I just got very unlucky in that one ended up that close to my neck. There are some pretty important arteries around that area. I was very lucky it didn't go any further, to be honest."

I didn't get involved in any hysteria about disc brakes. I don't personally care one way or the other. In any case, I don't have anything further to add - the rules have now changed so we no longer need to debate the point.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

^ Zachary.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 pm

[/thread]

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Same as the hysteria against disc brakes.

Anyway, he's still bloody lucky, but here is his comment from the article linked

"I really panicked. Chainrings are sort of a necessity and they're there, I just got very unlucky in that one ended up that close to my neck. There are some pretty important arteries around that area. I was very lucky it didn't go any further, to be honest."
so are brakes

but not disk brakes

Are chainrings really a necessity? Multiple options are available to mitigate the risks, if riders and the UCI were so minded.

Shall I list a few?
* Bash rings
* Chain guards
* Belt drive with hub gears
* Sealed shaft drive with hub gears

It is not a matter of technology but of political will.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:[/thread]

The thread will still be alive unless and until the rules change at all levels of UCI racing and the use of such tech no longer presents any issues.

At present the change of rules is for local racing only and it is in trial only at World Tour level.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:01 pm

g-boaf wrote: I didn't get involved in any hysteria about disc brakes. ....

Never implied that you did, but plenty of others have 8)

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

The thread will still be alive unless and until the rules change at all levels of UCI racing and the use of such tech no longer presents any issues.

At present the change of rules is for local racing only and it is in trial only at World Tour level.

I was being a little facetious :wink: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

I suppose that doesn't affect many of us. :oops: :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote: I didn't get involved in any hysteria about disc brakes. ....

Never implied that you did, but plenty of others have 8)

Yes Michael... :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:11 pm

The UCI's been hanging on this one for a while - some original Shimano production parts (c/o http://www.yellowjersey.org)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

I suppose that doesn't affect many of us. :oops: :wink:

Well the thread was originally about UCI approval/trial of disk brakes in World Tour racing in any case, so that's always been the case.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

Well yeah, but the reason so many cared about UCI approval was because that was presumably the reason it was banned for racing in Australia, a decision that dictated what racers could usefully buy as amateur racers in Australia. Now that that's not the case I don't think anyone really cares that much what the UCI does, particularly because it really seems inevitable at this stage that they will be approved completely there as well. The boogey man of 'discs are dangerous' will quickly disappear when the threat of pro bikes completely diverging from consumer bikes threatens the core profitability of pro cycling.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Cycling Australia will permit the use of disc brakes in all levels of racing at the start of 2018, including NRS and Nationals.

News release from cycling Australia to follow shortly.

Kev.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Cycling Australia will permit the use of disc brakes in all levels of racing at the start of 2018, including NRS and Nationals.

News release from cycling Australia to follow shortly.

Kev.

Uh, I don't think that has been officially announced yet... Aside from the email sent out.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 pm

You must have missed it.

Cycling Australia wrote:Cycling Australia is pleased to announce that riders will be able to use bikes with disc brakes at club, state and non-UCI national championship level road races across Australia*, effective immediately.

Cycling Australia CEO Nick Green OAM said that the new stance on disc brakes will encourage and allow more people to get involved in racing, particularly at the local club level.

“Cycling Australia is taking a leadership role in the global discussion around disc brakes and look forward to seeing a positive effect on the Australian cycling landscape with this announcement,” said Green.

Cycling Australia actively works at all levels to remove barriers for people getting into cycling, and we believe this is another valuable step towards getting more people to give racing a go.” he added.

Following a comprehensive review and consultation with a number of other national cycling federations, including particular discussions with USA Cycling which has allowed disc brakes in racing since 2015, and cycling manufacturers, and feedback from our member state and clubs, Cycling Australia found that there was a need to respond to the changing nature of our sport.

“With the continued uptake of road bikes with disc brakes by our members, it’s important that Cycling Australia keeps up with industry’s progress and support those at the grassroots of the sport to participate,” said Technical Commission Chair Peter Tomlinson.

“We’ve seen a successful implementation at USA Cycling and at a UCI WorldTour level and there have been no reports of additional hazards being posed to riders.” He added.

As always, rider safety is paramount in any decision and Cycling Australia will continue to monitor developments nationally and internationally in the coming months around disc brakes.

Events excluded from using disc brakes:

Elite Road National Championships
Para-cycling Road National Championships (hand cycles are already permitted under current UCI technical regulations.)
U23 Road National Championships
U19 Road National Championships
Subaru National Road Series events
*non-UCI national championship level races including Masters Road Nationals and Junior Road nationals.

Although I thought that at least at club level the US has never banned disc brakes. And disc brakes have been allowed on tandems at para-cycling nationals before.

Cheers,

Cameron

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 am

ironhanglider wrote:You must have missed it.

Read the newer post very carefully..... The original release excluded NRS, Nationals and other UCI-sanctioned events from using disc brakes. While confirmation would be grand, it appears that those exclusions are to be removed.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 am

Read carefully?

That doesn't happen here!

Oops.

Several clubs have now posted the announcement, so it looks legitimate. It'd be better to see it on the CA site though...

Cheers,

Cameron

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm

I wonder if they are going to be taken up in the pro tour.
Obviously the manufacturers want to push them.
Do the teams want them?
I dont see them being ubiquitous in the grand tours yet.
I didnt watch much of the vuelta but don't remember seeing them?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

They've been allowed in the pro-tour. Kittel won a few stages of the TDF on them. Campy has got on board. It's old news now, next new thing that challenges the very fabric of our society please. Maybe a reduction in weight limits to 6.55kg ?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Isn't the 2018 Giant Propel only available with disc brakes? I hear it's 15 watts faster than the old rim brake model.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm

fat and old wrote:They've been allowed in the pro-tour. Kittel won a few stages of the TDF on them. Campy has got on board. It's old news now, next new thing that challenges the very fabric of our society please. Maybe a reduction in weight limits to 6.55kg ?

Yeah I know they are trialing them. I thought it was a lay down misere they would be taken up due to marketing pressure from the manufacturers.
Maybe they don't all have a disc option to push yet. I'd have thought so though.
Is the wheel change issue with different axle standards a PITA that is stopping uptake?
I guess in a handful of years caliper brakes will be gone from racing anyway.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

biker jk wrote:Isn't the 2018 Giant Propel only available with disc brakes? I hear it's 15 watts faster than the old rim brake model.

Maybe that's it, no bike to push yet.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 am

warthog1 wrote:
fat and old wrote:They've been allowed in the pro-tour. Kittel won a few stages of the TDF on them. Campy has got on board. It's old news now, next new thing that challenges the very fabric of our society please. Maybe a reduction in weight limits to 6.55kg ?

Yeah I know they are trialing them. I thought it was a lay down misere they would be taken up due to marketing pressure from the manufacturers.
Maybe they don't all have a disc option to push yet. I'd have thought so though.
Is the wheel change issue with different axle standards a PITA that is stopping uptake?
I guess in a handful of years caliper brakes will be gone from racing anyway.

Actually...trial or allowed? What's the difference according to UCI? I don't get that? Is there some sort of TUE that has to be lodged prior to starting?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

biker jk wrote:Isn't the 2018 Giant Propel only available with disc brakes? I hear it's 15 watts faster than the old rim brake model.

Sorry if this is just me being humour impaired or a dumb mech eng but "15 watts faster" ? Less power required at stated speed?

Richard

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

WyvernRH wrote:

Sorry if this is just me being humour impaired or a dumb mech eng but "15 watts faster" ? Less power required at stated speed?

Richard

Yes, 15 watts less power needed at 38.6kmh and 85 cadence.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”