Punishment pass

outnabike

Punishment pass

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Probably a Moron Motorist play, but I thought I would post separately so I can find it easier later.
I have made a template on a garage door as a calibration and this car came well within the close range. It is just tape on a wall but it gives me some idea on the cameras angle of view from my bike.

I reckon I will take this incident into the police for review. I am in a two lane road and then get a punishment pass from a black Mazda Sedan with a white or silver bonnet.

This pic shows a close pass. Very deliberately done, and under hard acceleration.

I overlay the calibrated pic over and cut the opacity.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

outnabike

Re: Punishment pass

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Boy it was a close pass, but it always looks different on film. It seemed It was not far from my elbow when it went by my front wheel.
The pass shows the intent, and the angle of approach.

And the plate for good luck

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:56 pm

TQF849 is a grey 2005 Mazda sedan.

TOF849 is apparently a grey VW sedan, also 2005.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks mate, I just wasn't sure on that Q, much appreciated.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:TQF849 is a grey 2005 Mazda sedan.

Interesting post ....

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Taking that to the constabulary?

I like the calibration lines, but think that having them on the ground would be more beneficial for determining the clearance at any range, not just at the distance that you are away from the door.

I now deliberately walk my bike up the same line in the driveway and can then relate the image to specific other lines in the drive if necessary. Having them on the ground will enable me to determine how wide the passer is at a range from immediately in front of the bike to a few metres in front.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

I wonder how many times it's pure ignorance. Looking at the pic they're right on the lane marker.

That said ignorance doesn't excuse stupidity.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Given that the "calibration lines" represent an angular line from the camera dependant on distance from the lens, and that the camera isn't completely perpendicular to the calibration screen, I suspect it won't hold weight in court.

But it is a completely reckless passing manoeuvre.

I wonder if there is anyone in law enforcement or a plaintiff lawyer in the asylum here who might shed some light on what's admissible or robust in court.

Oh and how can you trace ownership from rego plates? I'm fascinated.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

cyclotaur wrote:

Interesting post ....

I can't link it because I'm on tapatalk, however oxford recently put up a "plate search sites" post in the general discussion forum. That is how you can come up wit the car year and model based on a rego number.

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 pm

I do notice thet the mazda sedan only just managed to stay in its lane whilst passing you, presumably there would be a high risk of it coming close to theer traffic whilst avaoiding you.
I would personally put this one down to ignorance and be glad the truck that passed before the mazda was that bit further out

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 pm

The more I see this stuff, the more I have concluded that there is "too much" judgment involved in managing passing with bicycles, both for the rider and the driver. Cars clearly have no idea what is a reasonable distance, but they certainly think they can judge a safe pass to a poofteenth.

I feel car drivers have to choose much slower speed limits, or complete lane changes as a minimum. Anything less than half a lane means law broken. Bikes are supposed to be in the middle of the lane.

I understand where your frustration comes from, outna, but I reckon your body language has to say "I'm HERE, knuckleheads". I'm doing very little road riding lately, and ended up coming downhill on a very main drag in my area. Haven't had cars hassle me, but I'm also clearly trying to ride at the speed limit and change from this particular lane. I think cars realise that they aren't going to achieve anything passing certain riders, but feel they achieve something with other riders.

The only solution is stripping car rights, imo. Cyclists can't make them do anything, so the law must instead.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:21 pm

warthog1 wrote:I can't link it because I'm on tapatalk, however oxford recently put up a "plate search sites" post in the general discussion forum. That is how you can come up wit the car year and model based on a rego number.
viewtopic.php?t=77124&p=1151839#p1151670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Nobody wrote: viewtopic.php?t=77124&p=1151839#p1151670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blame tapatalk

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 pm

cyclotaur wrote:

Interesting post ....

Don't worry - I didn't use any official systems to do it. I'm not part of the law-enforcement. ;) There are some useful rego search websites put online by Govt. agencies.
Xplora wrote:but I'm also clearly trying to ride at the speed limit and change from this particular lane. I think cars realise that they aren't going to achieve anything passing certain riders, but feel they achieve something with other riders.

The only solution is stripping car rights, imo. Cyclists can't make them do anything, so the law must instead.
Riding at the speed limit doesn't help all that much either. The MGIF mentality rules with some of these motorists. They'll waste their fuel and use their brakes heavily just to be ahead going into a roundabout. You just want to scream at them, why?!?!? :roll:

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 am

g-boaf wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:

Interesting post ....

Don't worry - I didn't use any official systems to do it. I'm not part of the law-enforcement. ;) There are some useful rego search websites put online by Govt. agencies.
Xplora wrote:but I'm also clearly trying to ride at the speed limit and change from this particular lane. I think cars realise that they aren't going to achieve anything passing certain riders, but feel they achieve something with other riders.

Riding at the speed limit doesn't help all that much either. The MGIF mentality rules with some of these motorists. They'll waste their fuel and use their brakes heavily just to be ahead going into a roundabout. You just want to scream at them, why?!?!? :roll:

which websites are they?? ( i would love to have access to those resources)
I am aware you work for the Government, are they Government sites or accessible to the public??

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 am

Tbanger wrote: which websites are they?? ( i would love to have access to those resources)
I am aware you work for the Government, are they Government sites or accessible to the public??
The VicRoads website has a registration enquiry service, that can provide details on vehicle make, model, vin, engine number and whether or not the vehicle is currently registered.
http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ :idea:
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 am

g-boaf wrote: Riding at the speed limit doesn't help all that much either. The MGIF mentality rules with some of these motorists. They'll waste their fuel and use their brakes heavily just to be ahead going into a roundabout. You just want to scream at them, why?!?!? :roll:
Yep, that's why I made the comment on a "particular" spot, because I know it's a red flag to a bull, but I rarely have issues even in heavy peak hour. There is something about certain spots which makes drivers desperate for a pass. And something about other spots which make them less desperate. I know I have enormous problems commuting at 20kmh recovery pace instead of 30kmh threshold oh crud I'm late pace.

The problem is that I can't recommend commuting at 50kmh because its not physically sustainable. For anyone. So where does that leave us? Compel drivers to behave or risk losing their right to drive (licence) or their ability to drive (jail). I hardly feel its palatable, I prefer driving fast too, but I think our road rules often favour practical over preferable. :idea:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 am

Tbanger wrote:I am aware you work for the Government, are they Government sites or accessible to the public??
Vic Government actually: http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got it through a google search. NSW has something similar:
http://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transacti ... ry-vehicle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are primarily for people looking to buy a vehicle. I'm not involved in anything motor-vehicle or roads related so I've got only as much information as anyone else here. Even if I did have access to more, I wouldn't be permitted to do that anyway.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:36 am

outnabike wrote:
And the plate for good luck
I am a fair way from the gutter and doing just under 20 kph. It is a two lane but wide lanes. If you go further into the gutter they will shave you every time. This is Greens road in Dandenong and I came in off the South Gippsland Highway from Cranbourne. Just testing the rear cam position a Sony 10 .The front cam is a normal camera on movie mode and playing up, but just testing it.
This was around 1.30 pm and not that bussy but the traffic comes in waves. I have to say it is just not safe to ride the gutter and yet the big trucks though passing safely seem not to know how close the come in with the rear wheels.Or are just not caring.
If you want to get blown at with horns , this is the place to do it. I really don't want to be dead right re this bit of road.

I thought in the calibration process a one metre distanc would be Ok, but understand your point. I will do the lines on the ground trick and also number the metres off along the line.The distance from the bike is the main thing to capture.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am

Good thread.
The more of us that use this 'calibration', the (hopefully, better outcome should we need to take it further)

Cam

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am

Tbanger wrote:which websites are they?? ( i would love to have access to those resources)
See this thread;

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:59 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tbanger wrote:which websites are they?? ( i would love to have access to those resources)
See this thread;

Thanks for that warthog.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Oxford wrote:You should post in the thread and ask for it to be made sticky, that way you never miss it.
+1
Should be a sticky, great resource :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm

I had a sticky at the GoogleMaps for the area - you're on a hiding to nothing with that one. That is the kind of area that encourages MGIF in a big way - there is a perception that they can go faster, big two lane road divided in the middle.

I would avoid it, but where else to go? The only solution I see is claim more of the lane or accept that you'll be shaved. I typically have a response pattern to shaves... the closer they get, the more lane I take. Does this frustrate other motorists? Yep. But you have to engage the part of their brain that says "I am not sure I can safely do this, and avoid police attention". Sitting in the middle of the lane definitely takes away the option of accidental close shaves. The scary part is that it dramatically increases your chance of a rear ender, but I think we'd all accept that this is a possibility regardless.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Xplora wrote:Sitting in the middle of the lane definitely takes away the option of accidental close shaves. The scary part is that it dramatically increases your chance of a rear ender
how so? i don't agree. you can get rear-ended while towards the LHS too. rear-enders are almost always (with extremely rare exceptions) failure to identify the hazard (cyclist) - being in the middle of the lane arguably reduces that risk.