How to stop a niggling cramp ?

sandman

How to stop a niggling cramp ?

Postby sandman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi ALL

Really curious as to how to deal with this small cramp in my right hamstring. Have small point on the hamstring that screamed out in pain the other day on a climb and I still feel a sharpness every now and then on that spot. I sat in the study yesterday and curled the leg under me and a pain shot to that spot and it cramped up. Is it a stiff massage that would get rid of it or is there anything else I can do ? Was recommended to goto the herbal shop and get some "stop cramp" whatever that is..

I am racing on Sunday and I can feel this thing giving me hell in the sprint unless I do something.

Any thoughts ?

Pete

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Heat treatment, followed by massage and light strecthing.

But what it really needs is time. Bad luck mate

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Was recommended to goto the herbal shop and get some "stop cramp" whatever that is..
Which herbal shop? I might have to get some "go fast" :wink:

Rainer mentioned something he takes for cramps the other night. Potassium and ? tablets I think. Might be worth asking him the question.

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Bananas and Parsley are good sources of Potassium. If your diet is ok then
stretching after provoking the cramp my help. Reduce the load that is causing you to cramp up and build it up again gradually. Be sure to be well hydrated.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Acupuncture.

My physio uses it to relax bunched up muscles. It works, too. :shock:

Failing that, if you have a phobia about needles the only recourse is stretching and deep tissue massage. The acupuncture is less painful. :lol:

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:Acupuncture.

My physio uses it to relax bunched up muscles. It works, too. :shock:

Failing that, if you have a phobia about needles the only recourse is stretching and deep tissue massage. The acupuncture is less painful. :lol:
Depends how good they are at it.

I have weekly accupuncture from a cousin in law who teaches it here, and spent an extra 2 years in China studying it. He is very good at finding trigger points at the same time.

Getting someone who knows how to do trigger points is the easiest way to get rid of spots that consistently cramp. It's as painful as all hell having someone lean their elbow in it, but if it's done right, you wont have trouble with it again for quite a while.

Ultra Muscle Eze will be what you are looking for at the shop. If you are getting a lot of lactic cramps, it will help a lot.

Cheers.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. I might duck down the shop I think its in Centro shopping center in South Penrith. I think a massage and some heat would probably help but I think time is going to heal it the best :-(

Will do a light ride with Lifecycles tomorrow, think we're going to divert and maybe do a hill climb so see how it goes.

Cheers..Pete

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:50 pm

sounds more like a small tear than a cramp.
Are you sometimes getting pain only, without the cramp?
If it's a tear stretching won't help much unless you have short hamstrings. Tears are more a strength issue.
Cramping in some situations can be helped by stretching depending on the reason for the cramp.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:16 pm

JR

Think its a cramp as it seems consistent with pain and then cramp straight afterward. I suspect the bike seat is still a little high and I'm extending the leg too far. I remember the first race on the specialized, the seat was higher and in the sprint I got cramps in both Calve muscles. Had the LBS lower it again, will see how it goes.....

Tnx for your tips

Pete

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 pm

A months rest, so we can all stay ahead of you. :lol: :wink:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:58 pm

martinjs wrote:A months rest, so we can all stay ahead of you. :lol: :wink:
+1000000 - best suggestion of the thread. Can we lock it now please mods? :wink:

Seriously, on the actual topic of making sure Sandman keeps ahead of me in the journal ranking (lordy I'm selfless) do you drink stuff other than water when riding Pete? I found that 99% of my cramping issues disappeared when I started drinking Endura (or lately been trying the Horleys powder stuff as well) when riding. Usually have one bottle with a mix and a 2nd bottle with plain water which does the job for up 100km in winter without refills required.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:10 pm

sandman wrote:JR

Think its a cramp as it seems consistent with pain and then cramp straight afterward. I suspect the bike seat is still a little high and I'm extending the leg too far. I remember the first race on the specialized, the seat was higher and in the sprint I got cramps in both Calve muscles. Had the LBS lower it again, will see how it goes.....

Tnx for your tips

Pete
Are you getting them on the drop bars, or not?

Because if you aren't on the drop bars when you are getting them, I can't see how the extra height is an issue, because you wont be putting the hammy in any extra contraction.

But it sounds like it is not an isolated problem with yourself, so you need to look at some kind of maintenance or supplement program.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Booger

You're probably right I drink a little water but probably not enough. Maybe its time for a mix :-) Little bit of EPO and stuff, kick in the turbo ? Went for a ride up to Woodford on Thu with BMX Bandito, that's when it happened, bastard must have hurt me. If I would have told him that, he would have smacked me with his bike pump and told me to toughen up :lol:

Pete

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Lol...

Alongside experimenting with the liquids, this I have, and most others, have found this very helpful:

http://www.healthycomparisons.com.au/Pr ... ?id_pro=80
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:36 pm

sandman wrote:Booger

You're probably right I drink a little water but probably not enough. Maybe its time for a mix :-) Little bit of EPO and stuff, kick in the turbo ? Went for a ride up to Woodford on Thu with BMX Bandito, that's when it happened, bastard must have hurt me. If I would have told him that, he would have smacked me with his bike pump and told me to toughen up :lol:

Pete
I would imagine the phrase "HTFU Princess" would cover it? :D
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Don't sound like a cramp to me. A cramp will resolve with rest, as the lactic acid is dealt with by the body. If you're getting it hours to days after the initial cramp, it might be a small strain/tear or perhaps a corkie from hitting it on something.

If you are getting regular cramps, getting more minerals is said to help (hence why bananas are known as "ride" food), also watch your cycling style, pushing too big a gear for extended periods will build up the lactate quicksmart. Remember, spinning not pushing is the way!

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:03 am

stryker84 wrote:Don't sound like a cramp to me. A cramp will resolve with rest, as the lactic acid is dealt with by the body. If you're getting it hours to days after the initial cramp, it might be a small strain/tear or perhaps a corkie from hitting it on something.
Nah. If it didn't occur after a more or less dynamic movement, it wont be a tear.

It's most likely a trigger point, which have tendencies to cause cramps at the site.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey Pete, How was the cramp issue over the weekend?

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Spiza

Well to keep Jeff amused, as Simon suggested I HTFU :-) Doug at Lifecycles dropped the seat by 1cm and no cramps. Really surprised after todays race though other bits were aching however HTFU princess and stop bleating :-)

Cheers n thanks for asking :-)

Pete