How many of You Commuted This Morning?

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Chops wrote:
Sat nav on a bike perhaps? :P
Buy a Garmin? :lol:

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Chuck wrote:Do you have to lug much stuff with you for work Kev ? What about shoes clothes etc ?
Hey Chuck,

I don't have to carry anything when I ride, although I do tote a smallish backpack with some fruit and things in it.

We have great shower and change facilities at work, as well as reasonable locker rooms. All uniforms are dry-cleaned by Lawrance who pick up and deliver right here, and the company pays for it, so no uniforms go home...ever.

Things will change though as I've just taken on a new position which will mean no more uniform (woo-hoo), so no more free dry cleaning (boo-hoo). I intend to commute most days of the week, and on the days I don't I'll take a whole bunch of clothes in for the week.

Kev.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:
Chops wrote:I'm now wishing I could do my work without needing to lug 15kg's of gear everywhere. :roll:

You think I'd be addicted if I deliberately took a job just so I could ride to and fro? 8)
Not really.... your work should support your lifestyle, not dictate it :D
I work in the cycling clothing shop part time and work part time for a welfare organisation. I was offered a full time job in another welfare agency (good $s too) and didn't accept it because there were no shower/changing facilities. They thought I was nuts, but it meant driving every day and THAT would drive me nuts! :shock:
Wayne
My work location changes from time to time. A gym membership has filled the gap where there was no shower at the destination.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

maicoboy

Postby maicoboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm

I often need my car for work so I drive to work on Monday mornings then cycle between work and home all week and drive the car home on Friday night.

I wear business shirts and ties at work and have found that if you fold them neatly and get them out of you back pack as soon as you get to work they come out fine... and they have to be well ironed before you fold them up.

I normally take my mtb commuter home in the car on weekends to go off road or rides with the kids so I'm thinking about putting a flat bar on my road bike to use as a commuter.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:31 pm

From the other thread...

I ride in two or three days a week. At the very least, I ride in on Friday.

I ride on a (70's? 80's?) steel Malvern Star track bike in fine weather.

No gears, fixed wheel (46 x 17), front brake, 700x 23's, toe clips & straps and track geometry and track drops.

In the chance of crap weather I ride an unknown steel frame fixed gear conversion.

No gears, fixed wheel (44 x 16), front brake, 700x 28's, toe clips & straps, clip on mudguard and road geometry and bull horns.

~20ks to work and back.

The 30 odd minutes it takes to get to work is the best part of my working day.

When I don't ride, I catch the train.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 pm

maicoboy wrote:I often need my car for work so I drive to work on Monday mornings then cycle between work and home all week and drive the car home on Friday night.

I wear business shirts and ties at work and have found that if you fold them neatly and get them out of you back pack as soon as you get to work they come out fine... and they have to be well ironed before you fold them up..
Same deal re car stuff, but I roll the shirt up and it seems to stay a little nicer, (then take it out after a shower), though we have those swishy shirts that don't crinkle easily.

*is still waiting for the shower situation to be completed*

I am really missing riding in every day now.

*pouts*

My new location is a little closer to home now, so I will be adding a bit more here and there to make up some distance. The current thought is to get a fixed/single speed for this new shorter commute then when I get home jump on the roady for another 1/2hr or so.

miyata84

Postby miyata84 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm

20klms one way for me...last week did 4 days out of 5. Felt great. This week ear infection so have driven...tomorrow riding. have battled awful headwinds for the past month