Dog leash

sogood

Dog leash

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:06 am

Am I correct in my understanding that all dogs need to be on a leash when in public?

This morning while riding across the narrow shared path on Iron Cove Br, I passed this dog owner who has this bull terrier running free and politely commented that maybe he should leash his dog. A nasty "Fxxx Orf" was the shouted response coming behind me.

Maybe next time I'll just run over his dog and see who gets pissed off more. What can one do? :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:08 am

Rules vary about dogs being a leash. But they are universal about a dog needing to be under control.

I wouldn't try hitting one or doing anything else to it for that matter - you'll wind up on the ground before you know it. A sudden sprint is the best and most dogs will leave you alone anyway. The trouble is, those that do have a go can be pretty darned determined - I was bitten riding a motorbike one day :shock:

Richard
Last edited by europa on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:14 am

A dog off the lease is what broke my rotator cuff.

There is an area that specifically states off lease down Hawthorn canal. Problem is that the dogs are taken into the non lease areas as well, thats why I ride down the road and not on the bike path.

If someone is F***ing with you, then let me know.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:43 am

Thanks Mike. But I thought you are on holidays...

As Mike and others who use that Iron Cove Br would know, it's a narrow shared path. On the one side there's no safety railing (apart from the oblique trusses of the bridge) separating the path and the roadway, and on the other, it's just a chest high barrier with a big drop down to Sydney Harbour. Without a leash and out of direct owner's control, an impact may not only give some "path rash" and broken bits, it may cause the cyclist to career onto the roadway and straight into oncoming traffic, or going over the railing on the other side for a bit of a swim.

Anyway, there are idiot cyclists and there are idiot pet owners... In any case, I really should start to look for an alternative route for the morning exercise ride to add some variety. Maybe going west on Lilyfield Rd and loop around Haberfield would be a worthwhile workout given the longish hill before Balmain Rd.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:46 am

well by the sounds of things he knew he was in the wrong. I have had this problem before and mostly with little yappy things.(problem lys in the suburb i live in). Dogs running all over a path with out a leash or the owner not pulling there dog in when i ring my bell :x . After my recent discovery with cane toads I wonder :twisted:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:48 am

beauyboy wrote:well by the sounds of things he knew he was in the wrong.
Who knows? I took a close look at the dog as I rode past, it doesn't even have a collar for attaching a leash. :shock:

europa

Postby europa » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:52 am

sogood wrote:
beauyboy wrote:well by the sounds of things he knew he was in the wrong.
Who knows? I took a close look at the dog as I rode past, it doesn't even have a collar for attaching a leash. :shock:
That's not unusual if he's using a slip collar - he might have left the collar attached to the lead and slipped the collar off over the dog's head. Mind you, it might also be the case that he doesn't even have a leash :shock:

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 am

are we still talkin about the dog or the owner? :lol:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:04 am

europa wrote:Mind you, it might also be the case that he doesn't even have a leash :shock:
I think I can assume this to be the case given that he was wearing a T-shirt and jogging shorts with nothing in his hands. The only bulge under his clothes is you know where. Maybe that required the slip collar... :roll:

Anyway, apart from that little episode, this morning ride was a nice one. Managed to charge up that steep Lilyfield Rd hill at the Haberfield end twice along with another three significant hills along the route and survived. And it's the first time in cycling that I actually felt a bit nauseous from the exertions. 8)
Last edited by sogood on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:11 am

Here in the ACT, dogs must be on a leash in public places except for designated 'off-leash' exercise areas. Dogs must be under control when off a leash.
Sorry, I don't know about NSW regulations.
I'm fortunate in that I haven't got any problem dogs on my regular training rides, although there have been a couple of times when I decided not to ride up to the front of the traffic queued at traffic lights because of dogs on the back of utes / trucks!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:15 am

Its also not fair on the dog, it could get killed by a car due to the owners irresponsibility.

tuco

Re: Dog leash

Postby tuco » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:16 am

sogood wrote:Am I correct in my understanding that all dogs need to be on a leash when in public?

This morning while riding across the narrow shared path on Iron Cove Br, I passed this dog owner who has this bull terrier running free and politely commented that maybe he should leash his dog. A nasty "Fxxx Orf" was the shouted response coming behind me.

Maybe next time I'll just run over his dog and see who gets pissed off more. What can one do? :roll:
Sounds just like the type of response I'd expect from the owner of this type of dog.

Ever thought of carrying a small cheap digital camera with you when riding or a phone with a camera? Maybe mount it on the front light bracket.
My phone doesn't have a camera but I carry it with me, firstly because my business alarm is back to base and they call me and secondly, in case of an accident or total bike failure.

Bloody dogs . . . I'm not a dog hater, I like the ones which live underground.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:20 am

Yes, like most things in safety measures, the benefits are always two way. Tuco, you are absolutely right, the owner did look a match with the dog.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:58 am

Unfortently most dog owners are not sufficiently responsible enough to own a dog. Like most pastimes its the actions of a few that set the image for the community.

Its not just cyclists but small children who are at risk, they could be hit by a cyclist avoding a dog, or get scared and jump onto the road to avoid, as they see it being attacked.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:09 am

The majority of dogs are smart enough to realise that dog + 'scary wheeled beasie' = 'pain for dog', and will keep out of your way, particularly if you keep your line and don't act scared - dogs love things that are scared of them. Trouble is, you never know when you're dealing with one of the aggressive ones ... though the teeth in the thigh is a bit of a give away. It's a bit like dealing with cars actually, only more predictable.

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:23 am

NSW dogs must be on a leash in public places, except for private property and designated off-leash areas, which are usually the less popular parks. However, it's like footpath riding and helmets - the law exists but good luck getting it enforced.

First the police have to know, then care, then catch them, then be bothered to do something.

I've had someone's little dog come and bite my back tyre when I was at about 15km/h on the road, I felt the tug on the tyre, then a yelp. I think it learned something. :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:53 am

There use to be a small dog (it may of been a rat) that use to come out of its house and attack me. One day I stopped (thats all I did). It stopped baking and quitely ran back in its house. Never bothered me again, that was one wimpy dog, I didn't even yell at it. But if I had caught the owner, there would of been some significant polite communication, just like the mafia "we are very disappointed that you haven't made the repayment, if it is not received by tuesday we will send around one of our financial planners to assist you with the payment". Only joking.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 pm

Bnej wrote:First the police have to know, then care, then catch them, then be bothered to do something.
In WA, it's controlled by rangers from the council. The one around here is pretty quick. He catches the dogs not on a lead, and then when the owner gets upset, he fines them for having the dog off of the leash.

When I walk my dog, I don't use a leash :shock: I have to use a thick piece of chain as 90kg of Rotty can break those leashes that you buy in pet shops.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:06 pm

bicyclewa wrote:When I walk my dog, I don't use a leash :shock: I have to use a thick piece of chain as 90kg of Rotty can break those leashes that you buy in pet shops.
Do you have a seat for him on your bike? :roll:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:15 pm

sogood wrote:Do you have a seat for him on your bike? :roll:
No, it would be nice though. The BOB trailer is only rated to 40 kg so that's no use either and those dog baskets that are available in bike shops are too small. :shock:

Anyway he doesn't like bike wheels. He chases the bike when I'm pushing it out of the house.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 pm

bicyclewa wrote:Anyway he doesn't like bike wheels. He chases the bike when I'm pushing it out of the house.
Strap him on a harness behind your bike, and he'll be able to push you along! There you go. 8)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:11 pm

Sorry I had a little giggle at some of the posts, it is a serious issue.

I've had a blue heeler ruin a near new set of Lake shoes, I thought the usual polite hello, and move 3 metres off the path, coupled with the lead the dog was on would have seen me right. Pity it was one of those bloody "extendalead" thingos :roll: When I picked meself up off the ground to have a polite chat with the middle aged couple about their hound, I copped the full mouthful and a threat to set the animal on me properly. I just kept going and got the tetanus shot later. One day maybe.....

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sorry I had a little giggle at some of the posts, it is a serious issue.

I've had a blue heeler ruin a near new set of Lake shoes, I thought the usual polite hello, and move 3 metres off the path, coupled with the lead the dog was on would have seen me right. Pity it was one of those bloody "extendalead" thingos :roll: When I picked meself up off the ground to have a polite chat with the middle aged couple about their hound, I copped the full mouthful and a threat to set the animal on me properly. I just kept going and got the tetanus shot later. One day maybe.....
That's exactly when you need that little digital camera for some happy snaps to give the council rangers or police. I don't think some dogs owners realise that a dog attack is assault and the dog owner is liable for what the dog does.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 pm

There's a girl that rides with a camera attached to her helmet. Handy for reporting dangerous actions on the road.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:There's a girl that rides with a camera attached to her helmet. Handy for reporting dangerous actions on the road.
That sounds good to me, got any details?