E tag

open topic, for anything cycling related.

E tag

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:00 am

Bloody hell, Victoria is like a police state now. Without an E tag you can't go anywhere without planning ahead. It's like a prison, you need 24 hour passes, weekend passes, passes for passes, etc.

This time we have to hire the car at the airport at almost midnight and get through Melbourne to the south east. We'll have to call the hire company to make sure it comes with a 24 hour pass.
Last time my sister-in-law left her car at the airport. It was a Nissan Stanza and after 14 tries I couldn't physically fit behind the wheel so my wife had to drive through Melbourne which pissed off my wife - not that I was fat, just the wrong shape.

You can't go anywhere without being charged a fee. Looks like it's back to the old way up north through Lillydale to escape which suits us as we're heading north east anyway. Other than getting to and from the airport we have no need to be in Melbourne. I worked in and around Melbourne long enough, I have no urge to go back. Maybe I've lived to long in the large country towns and realise it's a much better lifestyle, or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy. Whinge over.

Any Melbourne people here? I believe a 24 hour pass starts after it's first used? I've tried ringing the pass people but I get on hold and then customers come in the shop and I need the phone line for EFTPOS.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

by BNA » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:11 am

BNA
 

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:11 am

Welcome to Melbourne. Yep, it sucks!

But Sydney is starting to look that way, but there's always an alternative surface road alternative.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16929
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:49 am

If the principal as got to you and I agree, you can avoid using the E tag roads by selecting the appropriate motorways, especially to go south east. Check out the maps.
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14806
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:28 am

sogood wrote:Welcome to Melbourne. Yep, it sucks!

But Sydney is starting to look that way, but there's always an alternative surface road alternative.


True, there are alternates but when Kennett was in power he changed all the roads on me and then renamed them while I was living else where, the bastard.

Hopefully we'll only be in the south east for a day or two then head north.
I've heard xmas day and boxing day will be about 14 and 18 degrees. Should be interesting, I don't own a jumper and only have one long pair of pants.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:32 am

tuco wrote:I've heard xmas day and boxing day will be about 14 and 18 degrees. Should be interesting, I don't own a jumper and only have one long pair of pants.

Care to take up skiing this year? It's good high altitude leg training in the winter in preparation for the summer cycling season. :wink:
Last edited by sogood on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16929
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby Bernard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:37 am

It may be too late but the RTA sells infrequent user E-tags now, you could get one of those and take it whenever you travel to Melbourne. Sydney will be the same when the Lane Cove Tunnel opens. I worked out if you live in the Hills district (Castle Hill / Kellyville etc) it'll cost about $25 in tolls for a return trip to the airport.

E-Tag Link: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationss ... 070923.pdf
Merida CX 4
User avatar
Bernard
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 2:20 pm
Location: Artarmon

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:41 am

Bernard wrote:I worked out if you live in the Hills district (Castle Hill / Kellyville etc) it'll cost about $25 in tolls for a return trip to the airport.

That really sucks! What are the taxes paying these day? You would think that the purpose of tax is to fund these projects.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16929
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:47 am

sogood wrote:
Bernard wrote:I worked out if you live in the Hills district (Castle Hill / Kellyville etc) it'll cost about $25 in tolls for a return trip to the airport.

That really sucks! What are the taxes paying these day? You would think that the purpose of tax is to fund these projects.


I've been out of Victoria for nearly 20 years so I could be wrong but isn't it because Kennett sold the roads or private companies built the roads or some such thing?
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:50 am

tuco wrote:
sogood wrote:
Bernard wrote:I worked out if you live in the Hills district (Castle Hill / Kellyville etc) it'll cost about $25 in tolls for a return trip to the airport.

That really sucks! What are the taxes paying these day? You would think that the purpose of tax is to fund these projects.


I've been out of Victoria for nearly 20 years so I could be wrong but isn't it because Kennett sold the roads or private companies built the roads or some such thing?


I think they are new motorways, such as in Sydney. But it sucks anyway cos we pay heaps of tax everytime we fill up the tank. (Tank is the nickname for my Magna).
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14806
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Postby europa » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:17 am

Ahhhh, nothing like a good grump to help you enjoy your Christmas travelling.

Have fun Tuco :D

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby beauyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:50 am

Brisbane is also heading that way. the Hale street link and NSBTunnel (which in my mind are both a huge waste of money) are going to be straight E tag systems.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:53 am

We're all starting to sound like the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch.

"When I was a kid . . ."
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby europa » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:03 pm

The Four Yorkeshirmen

I like Youtube :D

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby mduriem » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Prob. bit late now but i actually work for CityLink (the pass people in melbourne) and yeah passes last 24hrs from first trip. But you have to nominate a day of travel.

You can buy day passes for citylink up to 3 days post travel.

Memorised sales rants over. Enjoy melbourne, and don't get too stressed by the Kennet legacy ;-)

EDIT: Re the roads, Transurban was contracted by the gov't (ie. Kennett sold the roads to TU) to refurbish them, that is, the old Tulla and South Eastern between Burnley and Toorak Rd.
However they also built some new road, essentially joining the Tulla to the South Eastern via bridges and tunnels; hence CityLink.

All said, the only time I'd personally use CL is getting to the airport (I live south of the city); but, then again, I'm just a poor student.
mduriem
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby tuco » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:43 pm

mduriem wrote:Prob. bit late now but i actually work for CityLink (the pass people in melbourne) and yeah passes last 24hrs from first trip. But you have to nominate a day of travel.

You can buy day passes for citylink up to 3 days post travel.

Memorised sales rants over. Enjoy melbourne, and don't get too stressed by the Kennet legacy ;-)

EDIT: Re the roads, Transurban was contracted by the gov't (ie. Kennett sold the roads to TU) to refurbish them, that is, the old Tulla and South Eastern between the Punt Rd and Toorak Rd.
However they also built some new road, essentially joining the Tulla to the South Eastern via bridges and tunnels; hence CityLink.

All said, the only time I'd personally use CL is getting to the airport (I live south of the city); but, then again, I'm just a poor student.


Excellent, just what I wanted to know, thanks Mduriem.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2wheels_mond, baldy1975, jules21, ldrcycles, Lukeyboy, mac-r, malnar, singlespeedscott, Stepr, warthog1, yugyug



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit