Back on the road, in more than one way.

stryker84

Back on the road, in more than one way.

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Wheee! After a couple of months of none / short distance riding, due to doing my back, the last couple of weekends I've managefd to get out for more than an hour each time. Nowhere near as fast as I'd like, and still a tiny bit ginger sitting up after being hunched over the bars, but on the whole, success!

However, while I can survive 1.5 hours on the bike, my skin don't quite like 1.5 seconds on the asphalt. Caught some gravel durng a slow turn, a over she went! Bad gravel rash, left elbow, hip and a little scratch on the ankle. Gonna be stiff and sore tomorrow!
Might have ruined a pair of good knicks too :( they're soaking now to get the blood out,and then we'll see how bad the tear is.

Ah well, all's mostly good.

PS. Riding in near gale force winds ain't no fun, especially when they're coming across you!

Hawkeye

Re: Back on the road, in more than one way.

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 pm

stryker84 wrote:However, while I can survive 1.5 hours on the bike, my skin don't quite like 1.5 seconds on the asphalt. Caught some gravel durng a slow turn, a over she went! Bad gravel rash, left elbow, hip and a little scratch on the ankle. Gonna be stiff and sore tomorrow!
Might have ruined a pair of good knicks too :( they're soaking now to get the blood out,and then we'll see how bad the tear is.
You forgot to answer the really important question: how's the bike??! :wink:

Seriously, hope you're recovered soon. Rest Ice Compression and Elevation sppeds the process. I find it's the bony bits that are sensitive longest.

stryker84

Re: Back on the road, in more than one way.

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:You forgot to answer the really important question: how's the bike??! :wink:

Seriously, hope you're recovered soon. Rest Ice Compression and Elevation sppeds the process. I find it's the bony bits that are sensitive longest.
Bike is fine. Might look into the drivetrain, seems to be bit rough, and the chain fell of just as I wheeled it through the gate a=, though that may just be a fluke.

Yeah, bony bits hurt. Banged my palm just above the wrist, at the base of the thumb, hurts like goodness. I shudder to think how much worse it'd be if I didn't have the gloves on though!

My biggest worry now is how to lie so as not to get blood on the bed/carpet/whatever. Doh!

plasmapuff

Postby plasmapuff » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 pm

[quote]Rest Ice Compression and Elevation sppeds the process.[/quote]

Yep second that. Ice in the first 48 hours helps reduce swelling, which decreases recovery time a lot. Though after ~72hrs heat (eg one of those microwavable heat packs) may help for muscle injuries.

Key thing is also to clear away all the debris from the wounds to reduce the risk of infection. Soft fingers during a warm shower works best. Covering up the open wounds with a sterile dressing (can get a large pad from the pharmacy which you can cut to size for like $1) + tape is probably the way to go too (bandaids usually too small plus the adhesive is often cheaper grade = sticking to open wound).

Once the wound gets "crusty" keeping it moist (NOT dry) will help increase healing and reduce scars, you can put stuff like sorbolene cream or wound care gel (used for burns) to help with this.

Hopefully in a week or so you'll feel like riding again. :D I've had my shares of falls as well and yeah they're not fun, but at least your bikes ok!

All the best mate!

Julian

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 am

Hey Julian, you from a medical background or something? Either that or you've had the eact same wound management principles taught to you as I have!

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement. Nothing too bad, just sore, as it is when there's large scabs. Back on the bike in no time!

rob e

Postby rob e » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:56 am

Sorry to hear Stryker, at least no broken bones mate. You'll be back out next weekend i reckon 8)

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 am

Best wishes from me .. and if it helps any .. I'll be right behind you .. :lol:

plasmapuff

Postby plasmapuff » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:23 am

stryker84 wrote: Hey Julian, you from a medical background or something? Either that or you've had the eact same wound management principles taught to you as I have!

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement. Nothing too bad, just sore, as it is when there's large scabs. Back on the bike in no time!
Hey mate, yeah a bit from box A & a bit from box B. I also work in a pharmacy on weekends and the number of people you see with dodgy wound management is crazy.

Most of these are motorbike riders who fall off (most with quite extensive grazes all up one side) and then all they do is pour "Dettol" straight onto the wound (which you're not supposed to do as it needs to be diluted to work!). They then come back a week later with gravel, tyre, dirt etc still congealed into the wound which is now redder, spreading and getting bigger for "some reason" :roll: .

Also back to your crash- if after the swelling goes down and your wrist is still sore after a couple of weeks, ya might want to get it checked out for fractures. But hopefully your gloves took most of the fall.

Vinegar I believe is also the best thing to use to get rid of blood stains if you did get it on your sheets/bed etc...

All the best with it mate! Glad you and and your bike are ok! :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Owww, not the best way to get back aboard.

Heal quick Stryker.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011