Bike Gallery

__PG__

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 am

Baum don't use decals. They are either blasted (or painted) logos on top of polished titanium. This is a better look:
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

RomanTheCube

Postby RomanTheCube » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

damn. that looks good

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 am

__PG__ wrote:Baum don't use decals. They are either blasted (or painted) logos on top of polished titanium.
Very nice.
Would love to send my Blacksheep in for some blasted logos.
I am happy with the decals on my Moots though.
Last edited by sumgy on Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 am

If only there wasn't a 6 month wait every time I break my existing frame!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

You broke another frame? Or the Oppy?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

Dimma - time to dump light and go strong (e.g. Fuji SST 1.0) - go for a sprinters frame.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Nah just when the last Oppy went I would have loved a Baum but 6 month waiting list was the deal breaker.
I now have 'Sprinter' pedals after snapping the 12nm version, only problem is I can't sprint.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm

__PG__ wrote:My first new bike in almost 20 years.

worthy of a 2 decade wait and worthy of another look

I love it, Baum make beautiful bikes and I hope to own one down the track, mind you I hope I am not waiting 20 years for my upgrade :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:08 am

20 years is impressive PG, is there an aspect of mid-life crisis sports car/Titanium roadster to it? =D

I managed 3 months of "no new bikes for 2013" new year's resolution, possibly even sold one in that time, but then saw this on clearance with winter in mind has proved itself a worthy investment this week in Perth, and another found its way to me that I couldn't refuse rescuing, that one is still being prepped for surgery.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 am

Rowen33 wrote:hi all what was old is new again.
and yes it is a shogun ninja 97ish
total re build cost $450
Tidy Shogun, nice work. Did you post over in the shogun appreciation thread as well?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am

eldavo wrote:20 years is impressive PG, is there an aspect of mid-life crisis sports car/Titanium roadster to it? =D

I managed 3 months of "no new bikes for 2013" new year's resolution, possibly even sold one in that time, but then saw this on clearance with winter in mind has proved itself a worthy investment this week in Perth, and another found its way to me that I couldn't refuse rescuing, that one is still being prepped for surgery.

I kinda like your "grown-up BMX" styling.

Jim

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 am

eldavo wrote:20 years is impressive PG, is there an aspect of mid-life crisis sports car/Titanium roadster to it? =D
Well the story is a long one, but I figured that here would be as good a place as any to tell it.

I've been riding my Cecil Walker custom-build Reynolds 531 frame since 1994. It was the first 'real' bike I ever owned and I bought it with my money from my part-time job at university. When I moved to England in 2006 I worked for a company that dealt with ATB, the distributors for Wilier in the UK. Many people at the company rode Wiliers on the lunchtime rides (the factory was located in beautiful rural Oxfordshire so the lunchtime rides were spectacular). I almost bought one in 2007 (maybe a Mortirolo from memory?) but decided on a ski holiday in Austria instead (it was one or the other).

When I returned to Australia I couldn't commute to my job and the weekends were full of parenting so the bike went back into the shed for a year until I started commuting once a week to a new job in the city. The next year the commuting was 2-3 times a week and all through the winter. I began to return to all the old rides that I used to do in my youth and found that I was much fitter and stronger than in my 20's. However, the bike was now requiring lots of maintenance to keep it on the road (e.g. replacement rear derailleur, seat post bolt snapping) and so the wife gave financial clearance for a new bike. At this point I thought my budget would be at a Trek Madone 5/Giant TCR Advanced/Focus Izalco level. The new bike would be a bike for now, not a 'lifer' like my current steel roadie. Originally I figured a rough breakdown of $1000 on wheels, $1000 on a frameset and $1000 on groupset would make a good ride.

At this point, when my Dad found out I was getting a new bike he said I 'had to get a titanium one'. He's a real bike nut (one of the reasons I got into cycling) and his retirement present to himself was a Litespeed touring bike which he bought in the late 1990's. When I replied that a titanium bike was out of my budget, he said he'd pitch in some cash, at which point the budget began to embrace a Lynksey frame.

By this point I had test ridden a Trek Madone 4, Giant TCR/Defy Advanced and a Moots CR. I had considered a Wilier Izoard and Focus Izalco Pro as well.

At the same time I was helping Dad start up a new business. We made a sale a few months later and subsequently he said that some of the corporate profits could go towards a new bike. "Get the best" he said, to which I replied that he should be careful what he says as there is a bike builder in Geelong who builds titanium frames and who has a world-class reputation, but his frames are very expensive. The price for the Baum Romano (entry level frame with straight tubing) was pretty close to the Moots CR so I decided to visit the Baum factory and talk to Darren for a while to see what all the fuss was about. I have a background in mechanical engineering so I asked him lots of technical questions and I was very impressed with the depth and knowledge of his answers and his particular viewpoints regarding bicycle design.

So at this point I was considering a Romano with standard sized tubing would be a good bike for my needs (i.e. recreational climbing). This soon crept up to a Cubano (mid-level butted frame) with paint. On the day of the factory fit, Darren offered to let me ride his own bike (the Corretto) as the geometry of his would be close to my bike. I decided to take him up on his offer and after belting it up and down the street a few times I was rather amazed that a metal bike could respond and feel like that. So at this point all rational thoughts began to fly out the window and I began to wonder how could I justify the Coretto frame and how on earth could I afford it.

So 'we' decided to go with a Corretto frameset with no paint. However, in the interim an opportunity came up to attend a trade show attached to a scientific conference which I thought was essential to attend. Dad wasn't too keen on attending so most of the 'Baum' money was ploughed back into the business, which didn't make the wife too happy.

I picked up the frame and fork earlier in the year and it just sat around the house waiting for some additional funds to finish it. As you could imagine, while the groupset and wheelset budget was adhered to, the frameset budget was blown out of the water. But my wife got fed up with our house looking like a bicycle workshop, full of frames, wheels and groupset components lying all over the house so she said to me over the school holidays "Just get the bloody thing finished".

And so I did. It's not really a mid-life crisis bike, as I had my mid-life crisis back in my mid-30's and that manifested itself in a nice array of shoes and suits :lol: I needed a new bike and almost pulled the trigger back in 2007. This bike is more than I expected and its more than I need. Yes its a completely extravagance and honestly a waste of money. But I've shown form for holding onto bikes for a long time and I'm hopeful that after 10 years or so the Baum would begin to represent good value.

The riding position is vastly different to my old Cecil Walker and it is so much more comfortable, especially on my neck and shoulders. As I mentioned in the 'riding with no hands' thread, the differences in the seat post angle and fork rake etc. make the bike much more stable. It's much faster on the flats (as you'd expect for a lighter and stiffer bike), but on the climbs the advantage is less because you can't get away from the fact that at 6'3" and 88 kgs I'm not exactly built like a mountain goat!

I may get it painted in the future. It just needs to be ridden more now.

BTW more photos of the build process can be found here : weight weenies
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

My commuting machine with alloy wheels

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm

__PG__ wrote:
Well the story is a long one, but I figured that here would be as good a place as any to tell it.
<snip>

weight weenies
Excellent post. Thanks
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm

__PG__ wrote:Well the story is a long one, but I figured that here would be as good a place as any to tell it.
*snip*
BTW more photos of the build process can be found here : weight weenies
Cheers PG that was a good read, committed like the bike :)

PS: jinx hergest heehe

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun May 12, 2013 11:36 am

My New Commuting Machine. I will post more decent photos later.

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm

rheicel wrote:My New Commuting Machine. I will post more decent photos later.
Stack attack.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sun May 12, 2013 5:04 pm

rheicel wrote:My New Commuting Machine. I will post more decent photos later.
Why would you take a wicked looking stealth machine and put baby blue bottle holders on it? :roll:
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Zynster wrote:
Why would you take a wicked looking stealth machine and put baby blue bottle holders on it? :roll:
Funny you have noticed that. Those holders are for my son's bike. I ordered mine overseas and will be fitting them as soon as they arrive.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm

rheicel wrote:
Zynster wrote:
Funny you have noticed that. Those holders are for my son's bike. I ordered mine overseas and will be fitting them as soon as they arrive.
No!!!! I actually seriously liked the blue water bottle holders on the stealth black. :(

Ah well, guess it'll be all black black black once yours come through.

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Finally built..... my......... N+1

2013 Bottecchia SP9 Supernova size 48 frameset
Xentis Mark 1 front tubular and Mark 1 TT rear tubular wheels
Full Campagnolo Super Record Gruppo (exc. Chorus cassette)
Cinelli Neo Morphe bars finished with Deda Mistral neon yellow tape
Selle SMP Dynamic saddle and Time RXS Carbon Ti pedals
Vittoria EVO Corsa CX III tubulars with mismatched yellow twin stripes

Weighs 7.02kg without cages, computer / sensors / mountings / brackets / lights / MP3 player
Weighs 7.36kg with all of the above metioned fitted so no weight weenie here.

Neon yellow is difficult to expose properly in a photograph, still have no photo to really do it justice....... Quite possibly visible from the International Space Station..........:D
Now if it would only stop raining (only joking) I can take a maiden royage........

3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

I like it but what is it that is so heavy??
I am guessing it is the wheels?

My size 58 FM098 weighs 200g less than that.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm

That bottechia is a thing of beauty. Not a huge fan of the wheels but hectic bike
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm

my god that Bottechia is sex on wheels.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey openroader, that is one heck of a good photograph or one heck of a good bike, possibly both...