What saddle is that? Looks space age.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Sven Nijs

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:40 pm

elStado wrote:Looks space age.

Either that or it's suffering from "brewers droop"... :lol:

Seriously though - nice looking Cervelo
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Update photos

Sorry folks, just another re-hash of a Giant....... (2010 TCR Advanced 1)......... since original gallery posting :-

Replaced standard Ultegra 6700cranks with Ultegra 6750 compacts

Reversed head stem and removed 12mm of spacers (now sitting on top of computer bracket mount)

Replaced saddle with one that agrees with me (now Selle SMP Glider - thankyou - thankyou Selle SMP........ :D )

More red anodised alloy bling...... even more red anodised alloy bling..........

DECEMBER 31st 2010 UPDATE Fulcrum R-Torque carbon comapct cranks fitted- dark carbon is more in keeping with the stealth look........ :mrgreen:

Last edited by open roader on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:57 pm

open roader wrote:Update photos

Looks fantastic.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Wow!!!! A++ for effort with Red Bling.

How do you find the jockey wheels? I've heard mixed reports, some say they are very loud & wear your chain quicker, others swear by them.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

aroes

Postby aroes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Generally don't rate Giants looks wise but yours looks pretty tight.....always a sucker for black and red, nice attention to detail

That said though, I HATE the way Shimano cranksets look. So ugly

Nice bike

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:46 pm

HAKS wrote:How do you find the jockey wheels?

Haks,

The whole bling thing started with the jockey wheels :roll:

For some reason one of the teeth on original shimano top sprocket tore clean off. I've been riding on these KCNC ceramic bearing jockey wheels for over 2,000 km now and have had no issues with noise, sprocket or chain wear. I have no idea how long they will last but I'm hoping they will last as long as the OEM Ultegra chain lasts on this bike. If I get 5,000km + out of the chain I'll be expecting to replace the jockey wheels too but only time will tell.

ft_critical wrote:Looks fantastic.

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

aroes wrote:Generally don't rate Giants looks wise but yours looks pretty tight.....always a sucker for black and red, nice attention to detail

That said though, I HATE the way Shimano cranksets look. So ugly

Nice bike

I wish Giant would either reduce the size of, or eliminate the huge Giant decal on the lower tube and maybe eliminate one more of the Giant decals- there are too many Giant decals on this bike and the other Giant road bikes.

I agree with the gunmetal grey cranks, I perhaps should have replaced these with darker carbon items.

FWIW I think Giant would sell a lot more bikes with the addition of an inexpensive anodised alloy bolt kit to dress up thier bikes. I expect Giant sell a lot of bikes to first time new bike purchasers.......??

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm

OR that is a blingalicious looking bike!!!!!

Without meaning to sound negative I tend to agree a bit about shimano cranksets. A nice FSA with the hollow crank, maybe in carbon as you yourself said would finish her off beautifully IMHO.

aroes

Postby aroes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about the way Shimano cranksets look that screams cheap and generic

Don't get me wrong, I know they're as good if not better than other makes but yeah, just can't stand the way those rings/cranks look.......always conjures images of hi vis jacket-clad commuters on hybrids

Campy and SRAM chainrings look like REAL chainrings......lean, mean and tough

Still, as I said above, nice bike 8)

edit- SRAM Red outer ring looks a trifle strange, but for some reason I like it. OK I'm a bit drunk and rambling. Back to pics of bikes now :oops:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 pm

I love the look of the 6700/7900 cranks. Although must admit on that bike a black/carbon coloured crank would match in nicely.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:48 am

open roader wrote:Update photos

Sorry folks, just another re-hash of a Giant....... (2010 TCR Advanced 1)......... since original gallery posting :-

Replaced standard Ultegra 6700cranks with Ultegra 6750 compacts

Reversed head stem and removed 12mm of spacers (now sitting on top of computer bracket mount)

Replaced saddle with one that agrees with me (now Selle SMP Glider - thankyou - thankyou Selle SMP........ :D )

More red anodised alloy bling...... even more red anodised alloy bling..........

im not a giant fan, but that looks hot 8) 8) 8)
why the cc?
great choice in saddle too :wink:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:15 pm

ni78ck wrote:why the cc?

CC I assume we are talking compact crankset ?? The comapct cranks best match my cadence. the speeds i ride at and the terrain I ride across, mostly hill and dale country so I'm regualrly climbing as much as I'm decending and I really like to maintain a cadence in the mid to high 90's. With the 53/39 cranks I found I was forever changing from large to small front rings and vice versa - the compacts allow me to ride most terrain barring moderate to steep climbs on the front ring without too much chain crossing.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Some images from the dark side of my garage :P

2006 Giant Reign:

Recent additions (last 2weeks): XT Cranks, XT rear derailleur, XT shifters, Avid Elixir R brakes (front 7in, rear 6in), Fiz:ik Gobi saddle, Lizard Skin lock on grips, new tyres (not installed yet). Need to bleed and trim the brake lines in the NY. Just need a new rear shock and i'll be happy with it :).

Fiancée new machine: 2011 Giant Anthem XW (got it on a great special)

& the 2 together :lol:

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 pm

HAKS, your 2006 Reign appears to be in "as new" condition. You clearly have some decent maintainance skills. Photogenically speaking your model Reign is one Giant got right without modding or customising too much...... I like........

BTW how do these downhill bikes ride as a flat terrain proposition? My parnter says her MTB hartail is exactly that, hard on her tail, I've always wondered if a fully suspended bike might tempt her to ride more.......

FacePlant

Postby FacePlant » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 am

open roader wrote: I've always wondered if a fully suspended bike might tempt her to ride more.......

A suspension seatpost would be a much cheaper option. :wink:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:52 pm

open roader wrote:HAKS, your 2006 Reign appears to be in "as new" condition. You clearly have some decent maintainance skills. Photogenically speaking your model Reign is one Giant got right without modding or customising too much...... I like........

BTW how do these downhill bikes ride as a flat terrain proposition? My parnter says her MTB hartail is exactly that, hard on her tail, I've always wondered if a fully suspended bike might tempt her to ride more.......

I bought the reign 2years ago 2nd hand and to be honest have only prob done 200km on it since. This year I've been 100% dedicated to road and getting my KM up. I also didn't ride it much as there were a few issues with the old cranks etc. My Fiancee got the shits when we went riding on the road/paths as i always wanted to whizz off so we decided to go down the MTB path for her. My cycling roots are with MTB and i see that as a more fun side of riding, whereas Road to me is about going fast and pushing my body to the limits.

Anyway we have a big year planned (wedding etc) in 2011 so I know I am not going to get much road riding in, hence decided to do up the MTB, get her one and hit the trails and have some fun :).

The reign bobs around a bit partly due to a crappy rear shock (air valve leaks). But hers is rock solid as it has the lockout for riding on flats/paths. She has a bad back hence the reason we went dual suspension rather then hardtail.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 pm

finally got the thing built. Just gotta trim the cables and I'm good I think!

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Pretty funky looking pedals you got there.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:04 am

Here is my commuter. It's a Giant Farrago Cross frame which I've built up with bought and scavenged bits.

Frame: Giant Farrago Cross. It's steel and it's very heavy. Bought it from Munga right here.
Wheels: Velocity Dyad 36 spoke
Tires: Vittoria Randonneur Hyper City 37mm
Groupset: various scavenged Shimano bits with a new rear derailer and freewheel.
Saddle: Brooks B17 special
Grips: Portland Design Works
Sks mudguards and Topeak rack.

It's a very comfortable ride and for it's weight I can hustle it along at a fair pace. The whole bike cost me around $600.

Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Max

Postby Max » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Nice ride, Zynster. Is that Boundary St in West End?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Max wrote:Nice ride, Zynster. Is that Boundary St in West End?

It is. The lizard gives it away.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Max

Postby Max » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Lizard? Oh, yeh.. in the first picture. I recognised the pub. :oops:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

munga

Postby munga » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:34 pm

vroom vroom!

a.davis12

Postby a.davis12 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm

so, commuting on a turned down track bike with heaps of stuff (20kg + and a pair of size 12 shoes) on my back was a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! idea. goodbye soma, hello surly. far more practical. far more ugly. far more colourful. bike is a bastard child with (nice) !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of mine and works spares box and a set of nice custom wheels. i went a bit overboard on the colour (very bored at work and the coloured bits box was just asking to be raided). but who cares, its for commuting/maybe some cyclocross racing if i can be bothered. its nearly there, missing bags, a rear brake and a front mech (clamp, have the mech). need to spend some time fiddling with the brakes, currently squealing like a pig. not in a real rush to finish it, won't start properly commuting for another 2 months or so, but should be fun.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”