Bike Gallery

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

batmatt wrote:Some amazing bikes here. I'll get a photo of mine up asap

You are not wrong there mate, its a great thread.

Does anyone know if there is a way to back up a thread? In case it disappears for no apparent reason.

It would be a real shame to lose it.
Baldy

by BNA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm

BNA

Postby Fresh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Provided the forum db gets backed up regularly if it ever shits itself it can be restored easily enough.
Fresh

Postby gooldin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Here is my new 2011 Giant TCR Composite 1....The thing I love about my bike is everything! The thing I hate about my bike is cleaning it!

If you can spare a few dollars for a great cause please click the link below -

http://br13.conquercancer.org.au/site/TR/Events/Brisbane2013?px=1009009&pg=personal&fr_id=1110
gooldin

Postby backslashio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Love the Elite red bottle holder :D Really matches the bike well
backslashio

Postby gooldin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 pm

It does! Since then I've gotten another one to match, a fi'zi:k under saddle bag, and a Garmin Edge 500! :D

http://br13.conquercancer.org.au/site/TR/Events/Brisbane2013?px=1009009&pg=personal&fr_id=1110
gooldin

Postby maDKient » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:47 pm

gooldin wrote:Here is my new 2011 Giant TCR Composite 1....The thing I love about my bike is everything! The thing I hate about my bike is cleaning it!

If I was you, I'll invest in a better lock. That really is a nice bike.

And be careful with those type of bike racks, many times I've seen my bike knocked resulting in chips in the top tube and cosmetic damage.

And yeah cleaning is a bitch!
maDKient

Postby gooldin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah this is something I was gonna ask in another topic! How to lock up your bike in this type of rack without any risk! I've but clear stickers I got from the bike shop to put on the fork's to help protect them. But it's not 100%! Any ideas?

gooldin

Postby maDKient » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm

gooldin wrote:Yeah this is something I was gonna ask in another topic! How to lock up your bike in this type of rack without any risk! I've but clear stickers I got from the bike shop to put on the fork's to help protect them. But it's not 100%! Any ideas?

I've the Kryptonite D-Lock (New York) which I leave on the racks. It's heavier as hell that's why I don't take it with me. There's appears to be no problems with it so far, our racks are placed in the basement of the building which is only accessible by swipe card so security is pretty good at my workplace.

As for protecting it, I wouldn't have a clue. Since it's scratched and dented already, it saves me from having to worry about it being imperfect which is an advantage I suppose lol. Maybe just wrap a towel around it? Or invest in a top tube cover, see http://blog.circles-jp.com/?eid=500147 for an idea. Though it does look more suitable for a fixie.
maDKient

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 pm

gooldin wrote: How to lock up your bike in this type of rack without any risk! I've but clear stickers I got from the bike shop to put on the fork's to help protect them. But it's not 100%! Any ideas?

If you always lock it to the same rack/s, why not get some plumbing pipe insulation foam (Bunnings?) and put that round the rack tubes then secure with electrical insulation tape?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
Sven Nijs

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm

gooldin wrote:Yeah this is something I was gonna ask in another topic! How to lock up your bike in this type of rack without any risk! I've but clear stickers I got from the bike shop to put on the fork's to help protect them. But it's not 100%! Any ideas?

Some of those hollow pool noodles would fit right on those racks. Just need to cut it open down one side, push it onto the rail and it will most likely stay there by itself.

For $20 you could buy enough pool noodles to do a good amount of those racks. Maybe run the hat around all the regular commuters and just buy enough to cover the lot. They are not very expensive new and can be found dirt cheap at secondhand shops/recycle centres.

Awesome looking bike by the way, I like the cables and headset spacers. They are a nice touch.

cheers
Baldy

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:29 pm

tallywhacker wrote:finally finished. Took it out for a shake down ride this morning, very hard to get used to gears after riding fixed for 7 years. Stopping pedaling doesn't stop the bike, european cabling means that the right brake lever operates the rear brake and its been 25 years since I used friction shifters and had to trim the gears

You, sir, are a certified retro-grouch, and I just wanted a chance to flip the photo over again. :D :D

Have you sorted the seat angle slightly and angled the bars 5º since the photo was taken?
rustychisel

Postby gooldin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am

Baldy wrote:Some of those hollow pool noodles would fit right on those racks. Just need to cut it open down one side, push it onto the rail and it will most likely stay there by itself.

For $20 you could buy enough pool noodles to do a good amount of those racks. Maybe run the hat around all the regular commuters and just buy enough to cover the lot. They are not very expensive new and can be found dirt cheap at secondhand shops/recycle centres.

Awesome looking bike by the way, I like the cables and headset spacers. They are a nice touch.

cheers

This is a great idea! I'm sure the building manager would have no problem with this!

Thanks guys!

ps I think the lock is good enough as it's in the basement of my work building which (I hope) is pretty safe! Anyone ever heard of a guy blatently walking into the basement of a building with a bolt cutters? Hopefully not!

gooldin

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 am

gooldin wrote:This is a great idea! I'm sure the building manager would have no problem with this!

Thanks guys!

ps I think the lock is good enough as it's in the basement of my work building which (I hope) is pretty safe! Anyone ever heard of a guy blatently walking into the basement of a building with a bolt cutters? Hopefully not!

Yeah I would be investing in a better lock. Hell I have a ABUS Granit X+ which cost me $200 which I use to lock up my home built fixie (only cost $300 to be built) or my Orbea (cost ~$700 new).. at least I know that it is safe. Yes I am locking up at Uni/work as well in a 'secure' area, but you can never be too safe.

Best bet would be to grab something small and secure like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evol ... lex-cable/

Use the U-lock to lock your rear wheel and frame to the rack, and the cable to secure your front wheel. Also means that you can use the lock while out on rides as it is quite small and light.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm

tallywhacker wrote:finally finished. Took it out for a shake down ride this morning, very hard to get used to gears after riding fixed for 7 years. Stopping pedaling doesn't stop the bike, european cabling means that the right brake lever operates the rear brake and its been 25 years since I used friction shifters and had to trim the gears

absolute stunner mark, youve done an incredible job getting her back on the road.

youve also multplied my regret in letting the frame go!
jaseyjase

Postby Yongkun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Yongkun

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:21 pm

rustychisel wrote:

You, sir, are a certified retro-grouch, and I just wanted a chance to flip the photo over again. :D :D

Have you sorted the seat angle slightly and angled the bars 5º since the photo was taken?

its a bad photo, makes the fork look slightly bent. I was always told that the bars should point to the rear brake bridge (~5 degrees ?), doesn't look it but they do. I have to move the levers on the weekend, just a bit too high. Didn't put a level on the saddle and it does need to point down slightly.
I'll have to post some pics of the Carlton flyer, it predates this by a few years
Ever since the vasectomy...I mostly ride fixed.
tallywhacker

Postby scrubnbash » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

That is a beautiful bike. Makes me want to spiritedly take Brasso to my crankset, stem, forks...
My number one bike is of a similar vintage ( :? I think) and it doesn't look half of that. I've just run the cabling the other way, looks a little awkward though.
Tops.
scrubnbash

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 pm

gooldin wrote:ps I think the lock is good enough as it's in the basement of my work building which (I hope) is pretty safe! Anyone ever heard of a guy blatently walking into the basement of a building with a bolt cutters? Hopefully not!

No, but the guy who stole my Bianchi rode an old bike into the basement where I worked while carrying bolt cutters :cry:
Stand on my dog I cut off your head
bianchi928

Postby filpee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 am

Malvern Star Cougar '99

Not bad for a bike neglected for many many years. Currently doing about 100km a week on this thing, fitness rides only.

Since starting riding again in February I have:
*Added front and rear lights
*Replaced the knoblies for slicks
*Fitted 2nd hand spd combo pedals
*Added a bag to hold spare tubes etc
*replaced the chainwheel, freewheel and chain

Saving up to replace the saddle, brakes and all the cables.
filpee

Postby nitramluap » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm

My bike is heavier than your bike. :D
nitramluap

Postby Zynster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

nitramluap wrote:Image]

Love it. They must be great for chewing up lots of Kms in relative comfort. Just out of curiosity, how much is this thing worth? I'd be great if they got so popular no one blinked at seeing. You must get way too much attention.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby Comedian » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

nitramluap wrote:Image

Wohoo! That is my very favourite velomobile :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's pilot and it hammers too!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby nitramluap » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Zynster wrote:Love it. They must be great for chewing up lots of Kms in relative comfort. Just out of curiosity, how much is this thing worth? I'd be great if they got so popular no one blinked at seeing. You must get way too much attention.

It's a very comfortable ride and it can carry quite a lot of gear. It's very practical as a commuter too.

It's about AUD$9000 delivered - of that $1500 was shipping (air not much more expensive that sea strangely)! It's handmade buy a small group of people at the Sinner Ligfietsgarage in Groningen, The Netherlands.

The attention from motor vehicles is quite good - they generally keep their distance! :D

There are a few velomobiles down south (Trisled Rotovelo, etc) - Melbourne & South Australia but I've not seen another velo in Brisbane.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D
nitramluap

Postby GraemeL » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm

That is one AWESOME bike/trike/car :mrgreen: All you need is a little electric motor for those lazy days and your set :)

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Here are our latest editions to the family. It's a bit of a culture shock coming from MTB's to these :) You really feel every nook and cranny :lol:

Mine is a Merida Racelite 904

The wife's is a Merida Juliet Ridelite 94

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion