Bike Gallery

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Postby Fleshpiston » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Gd'Day fellow bike lovers,

here's my 1st custom project completed...components consist of the following...

BMC streetfire SSX 2007 medium sized frame
Easton EC70 carbon fork
5600 series 105 groupset including wheelset
Dura Ace brake and shifter cables
FSA K Force carbon handlebars and setpost
FSA OS-99 80mm stem with 40mm FSA carbon spacers
Selle Italia SLR carbon saddle
BBB carbon bottle cage
Continental tyres and tubes...upgrading to GP4000 and ultra light 50 gram tubes very soon
Cateye cadence comp

entire groupset and wheelset will be upgraded to Dura Ace spec mid 2009

Cheers,
brad

Image
"I ride not because it's easy, but because it's hard. I love to ride, i live to ride" - ramblings from my alter ego 3.3.2010

"BMC frames get better over time just like women and wine" more ramblings 14.3.2010
User avatar
Fleshpiston
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: in my hidden lair or in the basement of Lou's tavern

by BNA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 am

BNA
 

Postby bowie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 am

600 on location chilling in the sun out the front of the Library.. 8)

+ 3 nerds point to me :P

Image
b is for bicycle :D
User avatar
bowie
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:55 pm
Location: Sir! Albert Park.

Postby deks » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:59 pm

bowie wrote:600 on location chilling in the sun out the front of the Library.. 8)

+ 3 nerds point to me :P


nothing wrong with chilling at library's and/or book stores, some of the hottest chicks i have seen have been in Dymocks in brissy city :twisted:
User avatar
deks
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: South East Brisbane

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Image
Commuter.

Image
Roadie.

Image
Steel steed.

Image
Spare.

All bikes linked in sig.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5062
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Postby lukas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:08 pm

Have previously posted a pic of my tarmac.. here's the R3..

Image

Best thing about this bike... umm everything! It's light. Stiff. Climbs amazingly well. If you're looking for bikes in this price range, at least give it a test ride.. you're doing yourself an injustice not to. 8)
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL
Image
lukas
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Hurstville, Sydney

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:51 pm

hey familyguy,

what sort of pedals are they on your Avanti and your more than competent looking 'spare'??

(they look like they are the same style)... are they some sort of clipless pedal?

Thomas.


oh and Brad,

your BMC looks awesome, killa frame. when you say custom project, what do you mean exactly? did u gather all the listed components seperately and then build it up yourself?

Thomas.
Thomas
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby Fleshpiston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:55 am

Thomas wrote:oh and Brad,

your BMC looks awesome, killa frame. when you say custom project, what do you mean exactly? did u gather all the listed components seperately and then build it up yourself?

Thomas.


yep, 1st bike that i 95% built up from individual parts...i didn't install the gear or brake cables...however...next one i'll do everything...the philosophy behind
the project from start to finish was to purchase quality parts that could be used again and again once the groupset needs replacing...its very light and a
new dura ace groupset and wheelset will only remove 800 grams from the current spec...i have another BMC frameset do nothing...imo its frame geometry
is more attractive with regards to the rear chainstays.

here's a pic of my other BMC frame http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2429/img0135ak8.jpg

kind regards,
brad

here's another angle almost from the riders perspective

Image
"I ride not because it's easy, but because it's hard. I love to ride, i live to ride" - ramblings from my alter ego 3.3.2010

"BMC frames get better over time just like women and wine" more ramblings 14.3.2010
User avatar
Fleshpiston
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: in my hidden lair or in the basement of Lou's tavern

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:23 am

yeh your not wrong about the other frame, that also looks sick!

i understand the primary motivation for doing this would definately be the passion of it and have little to do with price but out of curiosity, does it work out cheaper to do it this way than if you were to buy a bike of equal quality and similar componentry??

thanks for the other pic too, cool view.

Thomas
Thomas
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Adelaide

My new ride

Postby royalrodger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Picked this up today, yet to be named, yet to have over 10 kms on the computer.

Scott Speedster S50 '09 model

IMG]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/royalrodger/IMG_0245.jpg[/IMG]

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thoughts, feelings and opinions?
royalrodger
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Postby Fleshpiston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Thomas wrote:i understand the primary motivation for doing this would definately be the passion of it and have little to do with price but out of curiosity, does it work out cheaper to do it this way than if you were to buy a bike of equal quality and similar componentry??

thanks for the other pic too, cool view.

Thomas


Well thanks to ebay it was only $600 more expensive than a standard spec streetfire :twisted:

cheers,
brad
"I ride not because it's easy, but because it's hard. I love to ride, i live to ride" - ramblings from my alter ego 3.3.2010

"BMC frames get better over time just like women and wine" more ramblings 14.3.2010
User avatar
Fleshpiston
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: in my hidden lair or in the basement of Lou's tavern

Postby Shard » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 pm

My LHT bought last Saturday. It's my everything bike.

Commuter, shopping trolley, weekend rider, carrying showtime home from bunnings, going to the movies. The idea is to replace the car completely, except for when me and the gf have to go somewhere together.

Took it out for an 80k ride today, I have some fenders to put onto it tommorow and i'd have a Brooks but they were out of b-17 so I put an order for one. I had to cut my ride short because the Marybyrnong trail decided to turn into a gravel trail and then I couldn't climb a hill on my gatorskins and CBF walking it up there. Have to refit the Conti Contacts that came with it I think. So far the steel frame is awesome for commuting and the 25 front and 28 rear gatorskins with liners seem to be doing a good job. I'll give them a month and then decide whether to go back to the original contacts.

Image

Image
User avatar
Shard
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby Fleshpiston » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:25 pm

lukas wrote:Best thing about this bike... umm everything! It's light. Stiff. Climbs amazingly well. If you're looking for bikes in this price range, at least give it a test ride.. you're doing yourself an injustice not to. 8)


nice bike lukas...thanks to you i'm now dreaming about a S1 for my next bike...thanks for the temptation :evil:

cheeers,
brad
"I ride not because it's easy, but because it's hard. I love to ride, i live to ride" - ramblings from my alter ego 3.3.2010

"BMC frames get better over time just like women and wine" more ramblings 14.3.2010
User avatar
Fleshpiston
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: in my hidden lair or in the basement of Lou's tavern

Postby lukas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Fleshpiston wrote:
nice bike lukas...thanks to you i'm now dreaming about a S1 for my next bike...thanks for the temptation :evil:

cheeers,
brad


Haha.. don't mention it Brad!

The S1 looks nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, although it's pretty much a repainted soloist team.

Nice BMC too.. I have a major soft spot for those bikes.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL
Image
lukas
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Hurstville, Sydney

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 am

Thomas wrote:hey familyguy,

what sort of pedals are they on your Avanti and your more than competent looking 'spare'??

(they look like they are the same style)... are they some sort of clipless pedal?

Thomas.


Thomas

They're Ritchey double-sided SPD pedals. Older style, forerunner of the current V4's. One red (NOS ebay, seen about 20km), one black (been on various bikes for quite a number of years now and still going well).

They're good for what I use, but now and then they can feel a little small underfoot as they are quite a narrow cage. I believe they're early generation MTB pedals, but I commute with them.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5062
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Postby plasmapuff » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 am

My first road bike :) Second hand and with a few drive chain upgrades later wallah!

Full 105 kit with CF front fork and rear stays. Standard beginner level WH540 wheels and Look delta pedals. Should be good enough for me for a few years to come hopefully. After riding a Huffy for 7 years (I know what you're thinking...how did it last this long?), and a retro 80's steel racer for a year...this feels amazing.

Image
Last edited by plasmapuff on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
plasmapuff
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:37 am

G'ay

Nice plasmapuff, very nice.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20106
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:17 pm

I think you need to replace the chain with one a little longer
Ever since the vasectomy...I mostly ride fixed.
User avatar
tallywhacker
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: on the road

Postby plasmapuff » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:00 pm

tallywhacker wrote:I think you need to replace the chain with one a little longer

Hmmm...what makes you say that? It was my first go following the Park tools site instructions.

It seems to shift great at the moment and when the LBS was adjusting the FD they didn't say anything...?

@Andrew: Thanks mate and for all your and the members of the BNA forum for helping me put it all together. For a student on a budget, the >$300 I was quoted for the drive chain parts was a bit too much considering the whole bike was only ~$500! With the sage advice of forumnites, a ribbles order and a lot of trial and error- its all worked out in the end :).
User avatar
plasmapuff
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:19 pm

plasmapuff wrote:
tallywhacker wrote:I think you need to replace the chain with one a little longer

Hmmm...what makes you say that? It was my first go following the Park tools site instructions.


I suspect Tallywhacker is referring to the angle of the rear derailleur. I have to go take a class so can't find some resources for you but will try and look later if not beaten to it.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20106
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:
plasmapuff wrote:
tallywhacker wrote:I think you need to replace the chain with one a little longer

Hmmm...what makes you say that? It was my first go following the Park tools site instructions.


I suspect Tallywhacker is referring to the angle of the rear derailleur. I have to go take a class so can't find some resources for you but will try and look later if not beaten to it.

Andrew


This is not what I was thinking of, but it may give you an idea of how the rear derailleur should look.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20106
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:18 pm

haven't ridden a geared bike for several years but from memory and what I see around (even pictures earlier in this post) show this as the "normal" derailleur position. I would assume that with it in the position you currently have it in there will be greater wear on the jockey wheels, cassette and chain also greater stress on the mechanism itself as it is already nearly fully extended.
Image
Ever since the vasectomy...I mostly ride fixed.
User avatar
tallywhacker
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: on the road

Postby plasmapuff » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks guys...I'll take this thread into another topic for a "where to from here".

:)

Damn...and I thought all the tinkering was over...
User avatar
plasmapuff
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:24 pm

plasmapuff wrote:Thanks guys...I'll take this thread into another topic for a "where to from here".

Take a look at the Park Tools website and the Bicycle Tutor for advice on chain length.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20106
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby sittingbison » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 pm

just have a look at the pics on this page of thread...basically they are vertical or lean backwards.

This could be because the gearing is big chainring/big cluster cog, which is not the gear of choice. I usually use gearing such that the big half of the cluster is on the smaller chainring, and the smaller half of the cluster is on the big chainring ie 17-23/39 and 11-15/53 to avoid stretching the chain and derailleur.

If you look at shard's Surly the same thing has happened, and that is on the same gear as well.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University
User avatar
sittingbison
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: Subi, WA

Postby plasmapuff » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:14 pm

This could be because the gearing is big chainring/big cluster cog, which is not the gear of choice. I usually use gearing such that the big half of the cluster is on the smaller chainring, and the smaller half of the cluster is on the big chainring ie 17-23/39 and 11-15/53 to avoid stretching the chain and derailleur.

Whoops I didn't know this... I was using big chain ring with large cluster pretty consistently on the flats on the 100 km ride on Sunday. :oops:
So in that case whats a good combo to use on the flats? Say if you wanted to maintain 30km at high cadence? (I was using the big-big previously)
User avatar
plasmapuff
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], MoreBikesPlease



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit