Trainer for Zwift

wexford

Trainer for Zwift

Postby wexford » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:25 pm

If there's already a thread I'd appreciate being kicked in its general direction :D

I'm keen on getting into Zwift and indoor training, and am considering the Wahoo Kickr Snap http://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-kickr-sn ... ainer.html or the more expensive Wahoo Kickr power trainer http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/wahoo- ... vAodKlsLxg. I have yet to educate myself enough to know why one is better than the other, or if there's something cheaper or more appropriate for use with Zwift, so any advice would be gratefully received!

macca33

Re: Trainer for Zwift

Postby macca33 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Many on here have the Wahoo Kickr - wheel-off smart trainer and love it - myself included. I would assume the Kickr Snap - wheel-on would be just as good. There are plenty of recommended trainers mentioned on the Zwift website.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:53 pm

There are two types of people in this world, those who like riding on indoor trainers and those who hate it.

I am from the hate it camp. I bought a tacx VR trainer years ago and rarely use it, preferring to ride outdoors.

So unless you are sure about riding indoors, it mayight be a costly experiment.

One alternative is buy a cheap basic trainer (readily available 2nd hand) and a power meter for about the price of a snap. Can run Zwift (ok without the automatic changes in resistance) and be able to train outdoors.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:48 pm

I think the correct answer is kickr, but I have a jetblack trainer and use zpower (and ignore the heckling). Tossing up getting a Tacx Vortex Smart, because I can't really justify to myself dropping kickr money on something that only gets used once or twice a week. Or I might just keep doing what I'm doing which seems to be working.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:18 am

I think going for either the Bushido or the Vortex smart trainers would be the way to go if your a bit budget minded both are very capable trainers I think they are cheaper than the Wahoo KICKR Snap. Or if money isn't that much of an issue go the Wahoo KICKR/Tacx NEO. The Tacx NEO is a pretty quiet unit too.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:09 am

My riding buddies all have kickrs but I'm still not convinced.
If money is an issue, why drop that kind of coin on something you can only use indoors?

IMO, buy a decent magnetic trainger (Kurt Kinetic) which can be found under $500 and buy a power meter that you can use indoors and outdoors.
Sure it won't have automatic resistance, but I'd rather have a power meter for outdoor use than have auto resistance indoors.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 am

I personally think using money on a Kickr is better than a powermeter if you want to seriously train indoors. Training indoors is hard enough, you don't want to be further frustrated with a crap trainer. That said, you probably can get decent trainers for less than a Kickr but you definitely can't go wrong with a kickr

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:03 pm

I agree that a crap trainer is not a good way to go, but there are some very good trainers out there that although not fully electronic and don't offer all the wiz-bang features of the current crop - are still very capable and will suite the needs of most.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:50 pm

reviving this thread.

1) What's currently the cheapest smart trainer available? I'm seeing the tacx vortex at $620 on c r c and the BKool locally in store for $700. Anything cheaper available?

2) Are there any real advantages to going with a wheel off trainer VS a wheel on considering I already have a dedicated trainer wheel/cassette/tyre combo for my rollers?

3) Anyone using a smart trainer AND a powermeter on zwift? Does this present any difficulties?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri May 06, 2016 7:59 pm

I bought the Kickr Snap a couple of weeks ago and have been using Zwift. Love it ... under statement. Did a 100 km ride a couple of days back and may do another tomorrow and Sunday also. Essentially though, since I got it I have hardly left the house, & with winter looming large, I reckon that the majority of my rides will be on Zwift.

rolytav

Postby rolytav » Wed May 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I got the Vortex from Germany and was a lot cheaper and took a week to arrive.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx ... wg_id-6822

Only "issue" is needing a power adapter to plug it in to Australian socket...

works well on Trainer Road etc but I haven't used it with ZWIFT

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed May 11, 2016 2:25 pm

That is a very good price. When converted to AUD is just a tiny bit more than I paid for my Satori Smart.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed May 11, 2016 2:43 pm

$477 delivered for a Vortex plus the sweat cover is a pretty tempting option.

I've tried Zwift without the smart trainer and didnt really rate it, maybe it needs the smart trainer to shine.