Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Cardy George

Re: Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Postby Cardy George » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:12 pm

bychosis wrote:Yup. If you are talking about fat bikes in general, then they do have merit off road in soft conditions. I haven't ridden mine in sand yet (and we don't get snow here) but over the loose surfaces I have ridden it it has been quite good. If you are talking about buying a Big W fat bike, then that can only be done by a cycling enthusiast as a joke. Despite having large tyres and looking like a fat bike, it isn't built to be ridden like one.
I'll second all of that. The gearing that's on my Moose (and I assume bychosis' Mammoth) practically rules out riding in soft sand, although having said that for me it's pretty much bang on the money for ON road riding. That and they are soooo heavy, 22kg for my Moose.

So why did I buy it? Well for starters, the whole bike cost bugger all, I can ride it with the kids over whatever we come across, I like my vehicles to be noticed (for whatever reason) and I can do things like this to it without worrying about destroying something expensive

Saw a pair of Mammoths with 2 foot high Monkey Hangers the other day, still kicking my self for not taking a photo :oops:
Last edited by find_bruce on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix photobork

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Like those rims. Bought me a hole saw, just need to find the time to get drillin.

They definitely turn heads! I think I saw a motorised one recently. Dude rode past on a roundabout while I was in the queue. He was off like a shot from the start, but quickly ran out of cadence to go any faster and with 23+kg of boik under him was doing too well to be 'naturally' powered.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:26 pm

bychosis wrote:Like those rims. Bought me a hole saw, just need to find the time to get drillin.
The process took maybe a whole day in the shed, but that included rebuilding the out of round rear wheel and converting to tubeless
bychosis wrote:They definitely turn heads! I think I saw a motorised one recently. Dude rode past on a roundabout while I was in the queue. He was off like a shot from the start, but quickly ran out of cadence to go any faster and with 23+kg of boik under him was doing too well to be 'naturally' powered.
Wow, that would be an experience, I don't have the benefits of a disc brake! :shock:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:35 am

Mammoth on Gumtree... for $100 and it comes with a spare. Paid too much for mine! Pity it's a bit far away otherwise I'd have three (for a little while)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I knew I'd seen an electric mammoth locally. All yours for $1k

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 03, 2016 8:06 pm

bychosis wrote:I knew I'd seen an electric mammoth locally. All yours for $1k
That would need 250 W just to get it rolling :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 am

I sent a message to the seller asking what power, range, speed and if it has a rear brake. Apparently it is 36v (no wattage) and about 2hrs riding. There is no rear brake. I've got no idea how you are supposed to stop probably 35kg of bike plus rider on one rough as guts disc brake.
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed May 04, 2016 10:15 pm

So, this happened

"Surprised?" You ask......

Nup :wink:
Last edited by find_bruce on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix photobork

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 am

That's not ideal ;). Surely I smell the scent of upgrade rather than defeat? Part of th reason mine isn't ridden too much is that the bike is just a bit too small, and the seat post is at its extremity for me.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Cardy George wrote: Image[/url]
Please tell me that's not a cadence sensor on the chainstay... :lol:
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 08, 2016 8:47 am

I actually am surprised to see that, all of the K Mart type bikes i've seen have very thick walled seatposts. Obviously it's just pig iron but you make a tube thick enough and it can be strong.

What does surprise me is the V brake, i thought the mammoth only had a coaster brake on the rear?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun May 08, 2016 9:13 am

ldrcycles wrote:What does surprise me is the V brake, i thought the mammoth only had a coaster brake on the rear?
Cardy george has the Moose model. Slightly different, the Mammoth has rear coaster. Not sure which I'd prefer TBH, probably the V.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Moose it up For the kids in QLD...Ended: 09 May, 2016 19:43:36 AEST...No SALE

Was riding the Fernleigh track the other W/E came up through the Tunnel under City Road out of the saddle past a bearded "Mammoth Rider" & quipped "Go the Mammoth" which elicited a chuckle from the rider....so bottom line is they are out there in the wild being ridden.

Did not see him on the way back from Belmont, so not sure where he finished.

Rob

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 pm

bychosis wrote:I've got no idea how you are supposed to stop probably 35kg of bike plus rider on one rough as guts disc brake.
Wouldn't be that much difference between stopping 90Kg of rider + bike to stopping 115Kg of rider + bike.

Anyway, just get an electric drive with braking. Electric braking would be very effective. Doesn't suffer from fade either.

David

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Rob74 wrote:Moose it up For the kids in QLD...Ended: 09 May, 2016 19:43:36 AEST...No SALE

Was riding the Fernleigh track the other W/E came up through the Tunnel under City Road out of the saddle past a bearded "Mammoth Rider" & quipped "Go the Mammoth" which elicited a chuckle from the rider....so bottom line is they are out there in the wild being ridden.

Did not see him on the way back from Belmont, so not sure where he finished.

Rob
Wasn't me. :lol: Haven't had time to ride mine lately. :roll:

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Hey hey, I'm back. Geez, has it been a month already??
bychosis wrote:That's not ideal ;). Surely I smell the scent of upgrade rather than defeat?
Absolutely. I'm the "kid" who builds them in that particular store so the distributor sent me a brand new post.
bychosis wrote:Part of th reason mine isn't ridden too much is that the bike is just a bit too small, and the seat post is at its extremity for me.
Me too, another couple of inches and it'd be perfect. You can tell they're built for the part timer who's not used to not having both feet flat on the ground. The plan is to cut the bent part off the old one, weld the new one to the bottom and insert a sleeve through the inside. It'll keep plenty of meat at the stress point.
silentbutdeadly wrote:
Cardy George wrote: Image[/url]
Please tell me that's not a cadence sensor on the chainstay... :lol:
Well, yes. Yes it is.... But it's also the only computer I have, and I swap it between the two bikes. And just for the record, I can't record cadence as the cranks are too short and the chainstays are too long. The speed magnet needs to be mounted on the sidewall of the tire for it to all line up. :shock:

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:59 pm

May as well spam both relevant threads for good measure. $150 Huffy Moose at BigW: Image

https://www.bigw.com.au/bigw-catalogues ... 73&page=23
Offer valid Thu 21 Jul - Wed 27 Jul 2016

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:32 am

I know its not in the same league as the mammoth but Reid have an entry level fatty at 360 if you buy on ebay, also claims to be 17kg which isn't to shabby for a fatty. wasn't the mammoth pushing 30kg?

don't look terrible either, its an ally frame but with the poxie thumb shifter and 7 speed freewheel let it down a little bit.

Lifetime Reid warranty on frame and rigid forks all though i don't know how well they honor this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2016-REI ... 3641.l6368

wouldn't mind if one of these popped up on the 2nd hand market. (which is a hint for someone to buy one of these and sell cheap :D :D :D )

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:57 pm

bychosis wrote:The US Mongoose Beast version doesn't come with a front brake at all, but our rules state there must be two brakes on a bike so they have fitted a front disc, probably the easiest solution along with a dash of bling.
Wondering which rule you're referring to? This NSW Government page states that "Your bike must be fitted with at least one working brake."
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:10 am

tcdev wrote:
bychosis wrote:The US Mongoose Beast version doesn't come with a front brake at all, but our rules state there must be two brakes on a bike so they have fitted a front disc, probably the easiest solution along with a dash of bling.
Wondering which rule you're referring to? This NSW Government page states that "Your bike must be fitted with at least one working brake."
AFAIK the Australian standard requires that new bikes be sold with two brakes, wheel reflectors, pedal reflectors, a chain guard and probably a couple of other things. once it's out the door you only need one working brake, a bell, front and rear reflectors for night riding.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 pm

koshari wrote:I know its not in the same league as the mammoth but Reid have an entry level fatty at 360 if you buy on ebay, also claims to be 17kg which isn't to shabby for a fatty.
Interested! But the gearing is just plain weird. A 7 speed freewheel isn't weird at all but a 7 speed 14-28 being driven by a 36t front ring on a fat bike strikes me as an exercise in utter exhaustion...or am I getting it all wrong?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 pm

bychosis wrote:AFAIK the Australian standard requires that new bikes be sold with two brakes, wheel reflectors, pedal reflectors, a chain guard and probably a couple of other things. once it's out the door you only need one working brake, a bell, front and rear reflectors for night riding.
Ah noted - thanks! Though obviously a lot of bikes don't come with pedals (and therefore pedal reflectors) and... chain guard? What does that entail, because you don't see a lot of those on 'serious' bikes?!?
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:15 pm

tcdev wrote:
bychosis wrote:AFAIK the Australian standard requires that new bikes be sold with two brakes, wheel reflectors, pedal reflectors, a chain guard and probably a couple of other things. once it's out the door you only need one working brake, a bell, front and rear reflectors for night riding.
Ah noted - thanks! Though obviously a lot of bikes don't come with pedals (and therefore pedal reflectors) and... chain guard? What does that entail, because you don't see a lot of those on 'serious' bikes?!?
Race bikes are exempt from some stuff, but a front derailleur is kinda considered a chain guard. I think the pedal rule has an exemption in it for small pedals.

Back on topic, I haven't been playing with bikes for some time, but the mammoth is still here and awaiting some upgrades, notably drilling the rims and ghetto tubeless.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:53 pm

After doing nothing more than moving the Mammoth around the garage a couple of times it was time for the summer beach holiday.

Apologies for the blur in the pic, didn't realise until afterwards the GoPro had a smudge.

I can confidently say the Mammoth is "Not designed for off road use". Despite it being OK on barging its way through the sand it requires a fair deal of power from the rider to keep it moving. It was OK to ride along the shore line, but up in the soft sand was asking a bit too much, unless following recent 4wd tyre tracks. Definitely over-geared and overweight. Tyre pressure was down as low as the gauge on the pump would read.

I managed a 7.2km ride, of which was around 90% on the beach and averaged 10km/h and had to put in some decent effort to keep it moving. It handled OK though. Pushing it back up the steep beach access wasn't easy!

The kids thought it was great to cruise around the caravan park on, but the biggest (other than me, at 13yo) couldn't manage much on the sand. Typically again got lots of comments from the locals too.

Time to get the hole saw out and do a quick ghetto tubeless conversion to reduce the weight. Anyone got some better tyres they are finished with too?

Took some video but my computer overheats with video editing in the summer so might have to wait a bit.
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.