Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Cardy George

Re: Tales of the Big W fatty. The Hyper Mammoth.

Postby Cardy George » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Woo-hoo! I was thinking this thread was dead and buried, but no, it lives on! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bychosis wrote:After doing nothing more than moving the Mammoth around the garage a couple of times it was time for the summer beach holiday
Looks like you had a heap of fun! Just as Huffy intended!

I changed jobs over Christmas and there's quite a few cyclists in the place. I'm thinking of introducing my Moose to them sometime this week :lol:

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 am

Iam seeing a couple of Mammoths turn up on sale sites at significantly more than the $150 Big W clearance price.

looks like these rigs have become either "cult" or "collector" pieces, possibly due to your reporting Bycosis.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Cardy George wrote:I changed jobs over Christmas and there's quite a few cyclists in the place. I'm thinking of introducing my Moose to them sometime this week :lol:
Good to hear you still have yours. Any adventuring on it?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Unfortunately not. As well as landing a new job, we bought and moved into a new-old house, rehomed a Great Dane, and had two kids birthdays either side of Christmas. It's been THE most chaotic three or so months I've ever had.

On the plus side though, the Great Dane is much happier, the mortgage is $100 bucks a week cheaper than the rent we were paying, and the pay rise that came with the new job has completely covered the mortgage. Oh, and the house has a HUGE shed. Just saving up for my own welder and I'm away.

The best part of the new job is there are no compulsory weekends, so I can go exploring. :D

glenndini

Postby glenndini » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Does anybody know what size BB these mammoths have? I have a similar style of fatbike and need a new BB cartridge but I'm having trouble finding one. The spindle on mine is 167mm and the shell width is 120mm. It's made by NECO but I can't find a retailer and the distibutor is only intersted in suplying wholesale.
Hay anyone replaced the BB on the mammoth?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Ain't nothin like a fancy cartridge in a Moose, good ole cup and bearing. I took it all the load points apart and put real grease in them before it turned a wheel in anger......

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Where do you get tubes for these things? I saw fatty kids bike a while back which would be sweet for my kids, but I have no idea where to get the spares.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Xplora wrote:Where do you get tubes for these things? I saw fatty kids bike a while back which would be sweet for my kids, but I have no idea where to get the spares.
Truck yard.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 pm

bychosis wrote:
Xplora wrote:Where do you get tubes for these things? I saw fatty kids bike a while back which would be sweet for my kids, but I have no idea where to get the spares.
Truck yard.
Bahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I'm the bike contractor for the local Big W and whilst I've never tried, I've asked and have been told by my contact to order replacements through them. I don't know how much, and your local contractor may not be as helpful, but its worth asking the dept manager to ask their bike builder if they can help. I've also seen 20in fatbikes in Amart Sports, you'd think they should be able to help.

Failing that, the interwebs may be your only friend.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 am

Don`t know what size do you need.

Cheap one from Torpedo7 at $9.29c but need $149 for free delivery.

Reid cycles got some but it`s out of stock.

Or Velogear with free p&h.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Dragsteer

Postby Dragsteer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:45 am

I’ve been looking online for someone who also bought a Hyper Mammoth bike from BigW and also found it to be terribly designed. So I’m glad I found your review.
Mine was also geared badly so that when Ireached it’s maximum speed it was barely cruzining even though my legs were turning as fast as I could turn them.
But the biggest problem was is what you mentioned about the bike feeling like it was going the fall ove i worked out that if I rode it in a serpentine way I could keep it virtical.
Iy actualy thre me on the first ride, it has a gear ratio of 20T at the back wheel and 36T at the front.
So I’ve been trying to fid a 16T sprocket.
Thanks for confirming I was going senile, lol...!!
I never would hace bought it myself. It was a present from my moyher

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 am

Don't forget that if you do change the gearing it is going to make hills even harder than they already are.

I rode mine again over the long weekend and did have to hop off and push up a couple of hills. And the gearing is just a bit tall for riding on sand.

Despite the gearing I don't mind the ride... for occasional and recreational use only.

Edit: I currently have 2 in the garage. Bought a second one for $100. Some other projects have completed and I think its finally time to get the hole saw out and attack the rims.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 pm

bychosis wrote:Don't forget that if you do change the gearing it is going to make hills even harder than they already are.

I rode mine again over the long weekend and did have to hop off and push up a couple of hills. And the gearing is just a bit tall for riding on sand.

Despite the gearing I don't mind the ride... for occasional and recreational use only.

Edit: I currently have 2 in the garage. Bought a second one for $100. Some other projects have completed and I think its finally time to get the hole saw out and attack the rims.
Huzzah! :D :D :D

Mine keeps looking at me funny from the other side of the shed.......

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wUzyY

Man this linking thing is annoying. Thanks for nothin photobucket.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm

bychosis wrote:Image

Man this linking thing is annoying. Thanks for nothin photobucket.
Don't say I never do nothing for you. Right click on image, copy image location paste in image tags

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/37FjgZ0.jpg[/img]
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks. Was trying to do it on my phone and all I got was fail after several edits! Was going to resort to the pc later this evening and download some photobukcet stuff and fix the the start of the thread too.

Just been out in the garage playing with a hole saw. About half way through the first rim and I thought I’d better give the drill and saw a cool down.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Why don`t you go back and fix the borked photorustedbucket pics and edit it in the link and put " ~original " after the png and the pics will come up.
But check it out first in preview to see if it works before being submitted.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Pretty, you can now make gift sets of pizza cutters for your family & friends :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm

bychosis wrote:Image
Your holesaw looks a bit sturdier than mine. It broke halfway thru the second rim and I had to go buy a new one.

What are you lining them with?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Haven’t worked out a lining yet. So far I’ve only drilled the front rim and smoothed about half the holes. Takes a bit of time and using the dremel means no night shift.

Other works completed include regreasing all bearings, replaced the crankset with an alloy set and switched to a 32tooth front ring. Also switched to another rear cog, but have already forgotten how many teeth. I do know it will be an easier gear. Have some alloy bars to put on once the wheels are done and the chain guard is gone. All ‘new’ bits from the parts bin so far so the only cost has been the hole saw.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Am I the only one who is a little bit terrified by that photo? :lol: Can't wait to see the finished product.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Am I the only one who is a little bit terrified by that photo? :lol: Can't wait to see the finished product.
It's the modern drillium, there is too little left for amateurs to hack away at their bikes like there used to be..

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

bychosis wrote:Haven’t worked out a lining yet. So far I’ve only drilled the front rim and smoothed about half the holes. Takes a bit of time and using the dremel means no night shift
Did mine with the good ol hand file. The lining is three inch wide reflective tape held in place by the gorilla tape I used to seal the rim. It was even flexible enough to bubble out like the 'real' fat rims :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Got some new tyres for cheap. Weighed them and both combined are lighter than the lightest of the two I removed. There was also a whopping 300g difference between the two bigW tyres!! Pretty sure I haven’t worn off 300g with maaaadd skidz, but i guess it’s possible.

Weekend should get some more time for installation and then put the whole beastly Mammoth back of the bathroom scales.