What bike for 400km?

KetoPirate

Re: What bike for 400km?

Postby KetoPirate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks guys, i'll look into that too

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:57 pm

As somebody who nows the first 50km of the Perth to Bunbury route (along the PSP) intimately (my commute to work), the next 50km fairly well, (training ride area), but know stuff all about the 100km from South Yunderup to Bunbury. My concern is the road surface and the lack of compliance in the Propel. The Propel is very stiff race bike. Geometry aside, because you can make changes and you appear young and flexible.

The Propel would be my recommendation if you were riding from Perth to South Yunderup and back, twice for your 400km a day. The PSP surface is good and the wind cheating nature of the Propel is great for punching into the the South Westerly, that happen 90% of afternoons.

However, if the surface between South Yunderup and Bunbury is typical country chip seal road, the vibration transmitted through a Propel frame, to your hands and butt willcmake the ride a numbing and challenging experience.

Also you need to work on how to carry the required water, food and spares as there is no refill spots after 50km (Safety Bay Road), a tri double bottle holder behind the seat will help, but what else will you need.

KetoPirate

Postby KetoPirate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

That's a good point Nicko.

I have done perth to bunbury a fair few times. You are right in that after forrest fwy, its just plain old country road with a pretty wide elbow. The trucks are the biggest challenge down that way :P. But yeah, the surface can be gravelly but its not too bad. Reading through a lot of propel reviews, a lot say they were expecting a rough ride on cobblestones and other rough surfaces but were surprised that it wasnt actually too bad. I hope that is the case. If not, i guess i will turn back at the end of forrest hwy and do 2 laps like you suggested.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Go inland a bit and add a bit of a distance, per some local Audax routes to Australind/Bunbury.

I do not find any stretch of the main road enjoyable at all.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 pm

KetoPirate wrote:Hi all

I have $2000 and am looking for a bike that will be used only to ride from perth to bunbury and back once per month and one way trips once per week.

The road between the two cities is mostly flat and straight.

I have done it several times on a 2012 giant defy 1 but unfortunately sold it a couple of years ago.

Am considering just getting another giant but saw some good deals on 2015 propel advanced 2s. Also considering used triathlon bikes.

My aim is to gradually increase my time on these endurance events to reach my best possible time.

If you were to do this, would you get a defy, tcr, propel or triathlon bike?

Thanks for any opinions.
The key to comfort over these distances is fitting quality 28 mm tyres (and their ability to soak up road buzz) - probably more important than frame geometry. The Defy will certainly handle 28s - you may want to check on the maximum size the Propel can handle.

KetoPirate

Postby KetoPirate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks, I think 25 are the max.

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:30 am

28's a definate no in the Propel (unless never inflated), 25's might be a bit tight (or not even possible) in the back end from the Propel I've seen. Mate of mine has one of the 2015 orange one's with Ultegra Di2, light, quick, handles the road buzz, but tires are a limited size option due to the chainstay length and the tight clearance of the seat tube to tire.

Too Tired

Postby Too Tired » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:14 am

human909 wrote: Image
I'd give my left nut for that bike.
The cyclist formally known as AusTrinity

Requirements:
Cycling: A bike
This forum: A thick skin and witty retorts

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 am

It's a Livestrong Trek though! You can't ride that. Unless of course you could get it repainted. :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:23 pm

The TCR would be a good middle-ground; basically the same race-bred geometry as the Propel, but the layup is tuned for a more forgiving ride. I've done over 300km on my older TCR, on some pretty ordinary roads, with no more ill effects than you'd expect for 11 hours on the thing.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

KetoPirate

Postby KetoPirate » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah, that was my conclusion too. There is nearly a $1000 difference between my propel and a good tcr with equivalent components. Would get a tcr if both cost the same. But propel it is :P

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:02 pm

For another opinion of Propel vs TCR find out which of those two John Degenkolb (or other Giant–Alpecin team mates) rode in Milan San Remo or Paris Roubaix. He would of a had a choice between both for a 320km race and then a rather bumpy race 260km race.

A TT/triathlon bike would only be a choice if you were going to race (or collect max strava KOMs), and it is the only choice in those circumstances as it is 3 to 5% faster, But it is challenging to ride over moderate 80km+ distances, in my experience.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:16 pm

nickobec wrote:For another opinion of Propel vs TCR find out which of those two John Degenkolb (or other Giant–Alpecin team mates) rode in Milan San Remo or Paris Roubaix. He would of a had a choice between both for a 320km race and then a rather bumpy race 260km race.

A TT/triathlon bike would only be a choice if you were going to race (or collect max strava KOMs), and it is the only choice in those circumstances as it is 3 to 5% faster, But it is challenging to ride over moderate 80km+ distances, in my experience.
+1 Sage advice. The Degenkolb example also challenges the claim that the Propel is always faster.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm not sure about Milan - San Remo, but fot Paris - Roubaix they use the Defy Advanced SL, albeit the 2014 model due to anti-disc brake rules that were still in place at the time.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:45 pm

Duck! wrote:I'm not sure about Milan - San Remo, but fot Paris - Roubaix they use the Defy Advanced SL, albeit the 2014 model due to anti-disc brake rules that were still in place at the time.
He rode a Propel in Milan-San Remo. Rough surface and it's the Defy.