fly12 first impressions

tomee

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby tomee » Thu May 04, 2017 8:37 am

anyone got recommendations of a 64gb SD card?

my sandisk extreme is not liked in the device. I suspect it is because it is a UHS class 3. I might try a HC class 10

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 am

tomee wrote:anyone got recommendations of a 64gb SD card?

my sandisk extreme is not liked in the device. I suspect it is because it is a UHS class 3. I might try a HC class 10
Interesting. My SanDisk Extreme 64Gb UHS-I card works fine in my Fly12.

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 am

biker jk wrote:

i regularly get the 2 beep to say it has trouble recording during a ride :(
the card is genuine and have formatted it regularly

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 am

tomee wrote:
biker jk wrote:

Perhaps try the original micro SD card to determine if the Fly12 may be faulty?

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu May 04, 2017 11:45 am

biker jk wrote:
tomee wrote:
biker jk wrote:
yup have done that and no beeps yet. just that 16gb is too small

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 05, 2017 7:32 am

The classes of cards is a bit confusing as the rating system evolved from a single schema (Speed Class) to UHS Speed Class and Video Speed Class. To see the basics, here is a useful chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Di ... ass_rating

Add in the Bus Speed and associated logos (there is also a I, II, III rating) and then the mumbo jumbo from the manufactures on their packaging and card labelling and you have yourself a real cryptogram.

The rule of thumb has always been a Class 10 card for HD video - slower cards may not be able to keep up. Technically the U3 (UHS Class 3) should be even better and usually this is also a more expensive card (the faster the card and the larger the card (GB), the more expensive). San Disk are also a reliable brand though there are also fakes around which 'less trusted' retailers may sell.

Are you formatting the card with the SD Card Formatter? This software (no cost) is directly from the SD Association and I suggest doing full formate. A basic format just changes the file information but you need to properly wipe the card by 'zeroing all data'.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri May 05, 2017 3:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The classes of cards is a bit confusing as the rating system evolved from a single schema (Speed Class) to UHS Speed Class and Video Speed Class. To see the basics, here is a useful chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Di ... ass_rating

Add in the Bus Speed and associated logos (there is also a I, II, III rating) and then the mumbo jumbo from the manufactures on their packaging and card labelling and you have yourself a real cryptogram.

The rule of thumb has always been a Class 10 card for HD video - slower cards may not be able to keep up. Technically the U3 (UHS Class 3) should be even better and usually this is also a more expensive card (the faster the card and the larger the card (GB), the more expensive). San Disk are also a reliable brand though there are also fakes around which 'less trusted' retailers may sell.

Are you formatting the card with the SD Card Formatter? This software (no cost) is directly from the SD Association and I suggest doing full formate. A basic format just changes the file information but you need to properly wipe the card by 'zeroing all data'.

Cheers
Christopher
yup the classes are all confusing but i thought buying a class3 UHS would be a no brainer. In this case i was wrong.

Cycliq have asked for me to format the card always by their app which i have been doing.
Have purchased a class 10 yesterday and will see how this goes over the next couple of days

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 pm

I suggest doing a full format with the SD formatter app and then you can do a format via the device/app.
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat May 06, 2017 8:03 am

tomee wrote:
biker jk wrote:
tomee wrote:
yup have done that and no beeps yet. just that 16gb is too small
I had the exact problem you had. Ultra's don't work. I went to the latest (and they upgraded them a while back) extreme and no problems since. When the card wasn't right, the device just kept erroring

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

tomee wrote:Cycliq have asked for me to format the card always by their app which i have been doing.
Have purchased a class 10 yesterday and will see how this goes over the next couple of days
+1 on doing a full overwrite format using SD Formatter. If this works then I'd consider the card to be OK.

BTW I have two of the same 64GB card which I have used successfully in several Fly12 cameras, one has now been un-touched for around 4000km of riding. It would be fragmented to buggery but no I/O errors yet. That's on a Fly12 with the current released fw version.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm

PiratePete wrote:
tomee wrote:Cycliq have asked for me to format the card always by their app which i have been doing.
+1 on doing a full overwrite format using SD Formatter. If this works then I'd consider the card to be OK.

BTW I have two of the same 64GB card which I have used successfully in several Fly12 cameras, one has now been un-touched for around 4000km of riding. It would be fragmented to buggery but no I/O errors yet. That's on a Fly12 with the current released fw version.
yup i had run the SD formatter the same time cycliq said to format using their app but still got errors.

how do you update the firmware on the fly12?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 09, 2017 5:39 pm

tomee wrote:
PiratePete wrote:

yup i had run the SD formatter the same time cycliq said to format using their app but still got errors.

http://support.cycliq.com/support/solut ... t-firmware

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue May 09, 2017 6:58 pm

I am on some camera forums and the word i not to use a sandisc card with a dash cam or action camera. Some Chinese sellers actually say not to use sandisc with their product.
Me I don't know how to test that theory, though I had a problem with a vehicle dash cam and it had a 32gb card in it. I gave another card a try and it is working well a year later.
It might depend on the camera, I don't know. But now I buy other than sandisc for that type of camera.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

biker jk wrote:
tomee wrote:
PiratePete wrote:

http://support.cycliq.com/support/solut ... t-firmware
thanks for that!
Do they have a list of what changes were made?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 10, 2017 1:38 pm

tomee wrote:
thanks for that!
Do they have a list of what changes were made?
Not that I could find. It would be useful to know what has been fixed. Just note that when you update the firmware all the settings will revert to the default.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm

So after the Fly12 firmware update the date on the video is January 2015. I reconnected to the app and the date is still wrong. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri May 12, 2017 6:17 pm

biker jk wrote:So after the Fly12 firmware update the date on the video is January 2015. I reconnected to the app and the date is still wrong. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I supposed you went to the settings part of the app once connected? I think that's the action which sets the clock. :|

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm

outnabike wrote:

I am on some camera forums and the word i not to use a sandisc card with a dash cam or action camera. Some Chinese sellers actually say not to use sandisc with their product.
Me I don't know how to test that theory, though I had a problem with a vehicle dash cam and it had a 32gb card in it. I gave another card a try and it is working well a year later.
It might depend on the camera, I don't know. But now I buy other than sandisc for that type of camera.
So if not Sandisk.. do they have other suggestions?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Comedian wrote:
biker jk wrote:So after the Fly12 firmware update the date on the video is January 2015. I reconnected to the app and the date is still wrong. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I supposed you went to the settings part of the app once connected? I think that's the action which sets the clock. :|
I'm pretty sure I did go to the settings part of the app since I had to change the light modes and sound volume back to where they were after the firmware upgrade. Admittedly, this may have been due to me having to do a factory reset when the Fly12 froze after the firmware update. Anyway, not a smooth process unlike firmware updates on every other device I own.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am

still having problems with the device rotating in the k-edge combo mount :(
it's rotating that much that the device is shutting down (thinking i've had a crash)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm

List of issues:

Fly12CE
- The video quality is too dark. In anything other than direct sun light it is very hard to see detail.
- Turns off randomly (no known pattern).
- Sometimes is just fails to record. Looks like it is working, but no files recorded.
- Downgraded SD card support. 32GB support is woeful. 128GB support is required.

Fly6CE
- The video quality is horrendous compared to the Fly12CE with the exact same settings.
- The video is washed out and loses lots of details in direct sun light.
- The video files are 50% smaller than the Fly12CE files with the exact same settings. It appears that the Fly6CE is using very aggreesive lossy compression.
- Turns off randomly (no known pattern).
- Sometimes is just fails to record. Looks like it is working, but no files recorded.
- Downgraded SD card support. 32GB support is woeful. 128GB support is required.

Until these issues are resolved, I would not recommend buying the units.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Drizt wrote:List of issues:
Until these issues are resolved, I would not recommend buying the units.
I've been using a Fly12CE since just before public release, and doing so with a Lexar 633x microSDXC UHS-I 128GB card. None of your issues noted. I know that the 128GB card isn't supported, but it's being used to establish whether the FW copes with it. Not sure what else is the difference here, but something's not right for you to have so many issues. I have idle timeout disabled, possibly? Or has incident mode been triggered?

I started using a Fly6CE last week (current FW) also with a lexar 128GB card. Not confident that this will be trouble free as they're obviously different animals. The bit rate is much lower and the EiS makes it look like the camera is moving around rather than smoothening the footage. For now I've disabled EiS (not needed anyway), and I'll see what happens when it starts to overwrite the files once the card is full and report back.

With the Fly12 (original version) there were definite issues with the FW early after release for support with larger than 64GB cards, I did lots of testing with SANdisk, Cycliq, and Lexar 128GB SD cards, the firmware issue was sorted and my Fly12 has been running a Cycliq supplied 128GB for over a year without issue. I did have some issues with the SANdisk card which appeared to be a timing/latency issue when the number of files in the directory got too large.

Ive had virtually nothing to do with Cycliq on these new cameras so have no understanding or inside information as to why they've made the support statement of 32GB card maximum. I know the Fly12CE is just fine on 128GB, providing its a quick card, however this is obviously at your own risk, don't expect warranty support with a larger capacity card.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a cycliq Fly 12 CE and Fly 5 CE Gen 2. Having a few teething issues, mostly getting to know how to control them. I noticed the time date showing on the video was the wrong year so I synced both cameras to the laptop using Cycliq Plus. Today, after my ride I noticed the 2 videos were synced about an hour apart but not exactly so not a daylight saving issue. So this evening, I synced them both again and videoed the internet time from the laptop screen.
Fly 6 was 0m 19s slow
Fly 12 was 1m 9s slow

Better but still not synced together.
So I synced them both the the laptop again and repeated the video.
This time
Fly 6 is 24s slow
Fly 12 is 60s slow

This is not good if the time date on the video is incorrect, how can you coordinate front and rear footage and what value is it as evidence?

So, just wondering if anyone has found cause and/or solution?

As a final comment, there is a manual time date setting but what is the point of all the sophisticated programming and interfacing features in these products if we have to resort to manual operations anyway? I mean to say that pairing with my Edge 520 is a massive fail because I can't control the light modes, even if I set the Flys to flash only 1 light mode, when the Edge starts then up, I just get solid full bright mode and can't override manually. I thought it would be good to have metrics coming up on the footage but as it is, all these tech features just look useless so far. I'm beginning to wonder if they are actually Sirius Cybernetics Corporation products.... or is it just me???

Ken

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 pm

ken - sync with the phone app

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat May 02, 2020 9:25 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 pm
ken - sync with the phone app
Don't have a smart phone.
I do have a voice/txt mobile for emergencies but IME a smartphone means having real life interrupted constantly.
I've had enough of that, people can leave messages and just wait.
I'll go online when I'm home and have time.

Ken