fly12 first impressions

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 am

One thing I've run into is that if my phone has BT turned on (for Garmin upload) when I plug the charger into the Fly12, it won't charge but seems to stay stuck in BT mode. I've had to run the battery flat to get it out of BT mode so I can charge it.

Bug, or am I just too stoopid to work out how to get it out of BT mode?
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:25 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:One thing I've run into is that if my phone has BT turned on (for Garmin upload) when I plug the charger into the Fly12, it won't charge but seems to stay stuck in BT mode. I've had to run the battery flat to get it out of BT mode so I can charge it.

Bug, or am I just too stoopid to work out how to get it out of BT mode?
Umm, I haven't had that one. Normally after finishing with the app, I press the power button on the camera to shut it down. BT remains active for several days, so if you open the app the camera will connect without needing to be powered on first. You could try fully powering the camera down to see if that makes a difference, this is performed by pressing and holding both buttons till it chimes. Otherwise a paperclip reset may be in order. Failing that I'd be on the blower to Cycliq for advise.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks Pete, will give the power down a try!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 am

I suggest using longer bolts for oversize 31.8 bar clamp, and generally probably just a good idea to make the mount last.
I've changed the mount between several bikes and the alloy mount threads first stripped out at the top mounted on OS bar.
Using it only on 22mm handlebar grip area worked with bolts going right through for full thread use, but needing a grip spacer, compressing the rubber down eventually stripped the remaining thread.

So I'm looking for a new mount, ideally 22-32mm like this Cygolite Locktite gen2 quick release I'm used to.

I'm going to look at the screw mounted base that swivels, to see if I can use the Fly12 tripod mount adapted to the Cygolite handlebar mount. I have a Cygolite gen1 mount I can sacrifice if it looks promising and I can't find an equivalent compatible mount off the shelf.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:45 am

jasonc wrote:
biker jk wrote:I discovered that I had to select Pulse Low (brightness) for Flashing Low (brightness) to actually work.
I think this is the same on the iOS app - they are the wrong way around
After lodging a support ticket with Cycliq and a bit of back and forth with Andrew from Cycliq, it appears that Cycliq has a different definition of flash versus pulse...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:53 pm

Just plugged my Fly12 into my computer and had an error message that it's not recognised. This is the second time I've had this problem. On the previous occasion I had to re-format the memory card. Somewhat problematic if you want to view the video.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Was it a full format - writing to zeros?
Worth regularly doing a full wipe.
Cycling is in my BNA

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Here's what I was able to adapt for a temporary QR mount to use the Fly12 tripod mount.
I used an old digital camera tiny tripod base/screw and the gen1 Cygolite Expilion Loctite bar mount.
Initial issue was longer than the original bolted clamp mount, so one bike it wasn't as good a fit, not my ideal long term solution, but nice to have another option.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:13 am

AUbicycles wrote:Was it a full format - writing to zeros?
Worth regularly doing a full wipe.
If the card is removed from the camera and used in my computer the video can be played. You can also play the video with the card in the camera via the Android app. But you can't play the video via USB connection to a computer "as a device not recognised" error occurs. This sounds like a Fly12 firmware problem.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Possibly, if you can rule out a faulty cable and faulty USB.
If you can successfully connect - then video over USB may still not be the fastest.

Have a look at Cycliq Fly12 reset information (reset to factory settings) or option to update firmware. Afraid I don't have the details handy but am sure it is easy to find on the website - at minimum, support is quite good.
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:49 pm

does anyone else get inconsistent battery life

i always run it at 1080 (AT) 45 in low flash and sometimes ill get a half battery warning after a morning commute

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:29 pm

tomee wrote:does anyone else get inconsistent battery life

i always run it at 1080 (AT) 45 in low flash and sometimes ill get a half battery warning after a morning commute
So far, touch wood, mine has been great on battery. I only run the light on low though.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Low flash should be less consumption than low light.

I scrounged some long bolts for full thread use in the partly stripped top thread on the 31.6 bars, love the original bar clamp and didn't like the thread rotation of the camera tripod mount.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:43 am

tomee wrote:does anyone else get inconsistent battery life

I get this sometimes. I use high flash but if it's 10 hours of run time with camera only, I'd have thought high flash would last more then 1.5-2 hours before it died on me?
Then on other 2 hour rides I get home after using high flash and seem to have 1 or 2 beeps of life left when I turn it off.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:59 am

Is there a temperature or day/night pattern between the rides? LiPo delivers power better at room temperature, so cold air plus wind chill may cause variation.

I didn't like the light mode options dropping after 50% battery consumed, so it wasnt my preferred primary light. I use it as camera only primarily, bonus backup light or flash, especially since the pair of Ding FL1 arrived from Kickstarter. They are also under bar mount lights and the 750lm casts shadow on the Fly12 400lm.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:30 pm

eldavo wrote:Is there a temperature or day/night pattern between the rides? LiPo delivers power better at room temperature, so cold air plus wind chill may cause variation.

I didn't like the light mode options dropping after 50% battery consumed, so it wasnt my preferred primary light. I use it as camera only primarily, bonus backup light or flash, especially since the pair of Ding FL1 arrived from Kickstarter. They are also under bar mount lights and the 750lm casts shadow on the Fly12 400lm.
I'm quite happy with mine as a light. It's enough for me.

My main two gripes with the unit is that the LED indicator light is on the bottom if mounted upside down, and that you can't aim the light and the camera separately. I can't see a way around this one. If you have the camera straight then it is hard on oncoming bike eyes. I don't have much bike path on my commute so I can live with this.

Since I put the super good memory card in it hasn't missed a beat.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm running a nice 64GB card I had in my phone, and did a PC update via support before the Android app was ready. Haven't had any problems except the stripped mount clamp threads, so cut down my test hours. Back to trails with it now so looking forward to some new footage.

This plus the Ding light are two nice new 2016 Aussie Kickstarter products that have delivered (* everyone elses troubles not in focus but not forgotten for this statement).

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am

I am about to give up on this POS camera
i get video corruptions or the thing just stops recording mid ride :x

running a genuine sandisk 64gb UHS extreme card

numerous logs with cycliq trying to troubleshoot the thing with them saying the device is fine :?

i dont understand how $100 dashcams in my cars which run the same SD card have never had dramas over the years and this device has been plagued with bugs from day one

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Format the card and zero all data in a full wipe.

Also try a different card, even as a genuine Sandisk card, if the card is flawed, then it would be food to check it and rule that out with a secondary working card.
Cycling is in my BNA

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:57 pm

tomee wrote:I am about to give up on this POS camera
i get video corruptions or the thing just stops recording mid ride :x

running a genuine sandisk 64gb UHS extreme card

numerous logs with cycliq trying to troubleshoot the thing with them saying the device is fine :?

i dont understand how $100 dashcams in my cars which run the same SD card have never had dramas over the years and this device has been plagued with bugs from day one
I had lots of problems with mine until I got just the best card I could buy. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Try the car it came with, and if it doesn't play up then you know it's your card.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 am

I did a fly12 buy on the kickstarter opening. I'm not sure if its kaput. I can charge it up over night but put it on the bike and set off and its down to orange light shortly afterwards and conks out of charge within 15 mins. maybe it is a battery issue? should I just reformat it again?

I just didn't want to raise a ticket first off as I've just got an active ticket with the fly6 too and don't want to jinx myself or piss them off. other than that it has been good to date.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm

cp123 wrote:I did a fly12 buy on the kickstarter opening. I'm not sure if its kaput. I can charge it up over night but put it on the bike and set off and its down to orange light shortly afterwards and conks out of charge within 15 mins. maybe it is a battery issue? should I just reformat it again?

I just didn't want to raise a ticket first off as I've just got an active ticket with the fly6 too and don't want to jinx myself or piss them off. other than that it has been good to date.
Watching this with interest. My biggest concern with the fly6/fly12 is their non replaceable batteries. So far, touch wood the fly12 has been excellent in this regard. I've done three normal commutes (40 minutes, one with light), and one two hour ride this morning (half with light) and it's beeping twice indicating half charge. I can live with that.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

cp123 wrote:I did a fly12 buy on the kickstarter opening. I'm not sure if its kaput. I can charge it up over night but put it on the bike and set off and its down to orange light shortly afterwards and conks out of charge within 15 mins. maybe it is a battery issue? should I just reformat it again?

Sounds like a battery, I'd suggest contacting Cycliq.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm

so how do i stop the thing rotating upwards? am using a k-edge combo mount. anyone got an ideas?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

jasonc wrote:so how do i stop the thing rotating upwards? am using a k-edge combo mount. anyone got an ideas?
Mine doesn't do that on either bike. Have you got cables pushing it?