fly12 first impressions

eldavo

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:26 am

PiratePete wrote:
eldavo wrote:Is there a manual SD card PC interface method for updating firmware, or is the iTunes App the only way to do it presently? (Windows Phone user here... just kidding, Android of course :lol:
Dave the process is really simple, copy the img and bin file to the root of the SD card, and power on the camera. When the camera was released the latest fw files were on the Cycliq site, however checking now shows that this download is no longer there. So my guess is that the 'preferred' method is via the app, which I have to say works very well. I'm not sure how far away the Android version is, so if your chasing the current fw files then drop the guys an email.
Thanks Pete, I'll ask for the files through official site.

I was meaning to dig up my login details so I could also echo a "NO THUMBS" request firmware/app/manual config option for those of us who want to set it up once with app, then just use it as a simple hardware device, SD card out or USB connect with notebook to connect to the PC.
It's about 5% SD memory overhead, presumably similar 5% reduction in battery life. When we're using multiple lights and aiming for longest recording time from the single only front recording device, if possible I'd prefer 5% less battery consumption to be kept for longer battery life and that bit extra in longer run time when using it all.
If the app has been written assuming the thumbnails are there, error handling if there's a file error hopefully gracefully accounts for the option of not having thumbs there by choice.

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
jasonc wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:I'd like to know about the android app too... End of May has well and truly passed by now!
right after the windows phone app
:lol: Just cos your phone will never be supported, doesn't mean mine won't be.

@Cycliq Have you got an update for us re: Android please?
Hi GeoffinBrisbane - we post most of our major announcements & updates via our newsletter or on our social media channels so if you are after updates I recommend following us. We recently posted an update on the Android app timing here (https://www.facebook.com/Cycliq/photos/ ... =3&theater)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:44 am

When doing a master reset... is there meant to be some feedback? A noise? A light?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Drizt wrote:When doing a master reset... is there meant to be some feedback? A noise? A light?
Just did it to check and nope. If you use a thin-ish paperclip you can feel the micro switch as you press it in.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am

i picked a fly12 yesterday and today was the my first ride with it.

One of the worst experiences so far.
i get to work and try to look at the footage via the iphone app and it shows i have no footage :x
i thought far enough the SD might of been corrupted somehow after 1 use. :roll:

Next thing the device wont shut off as the LED is showing a constant red. Holding down the power button wont do anything so i master reset the thing.

After the reset i turn it back on and go back to the app to redo my settings and pop in another SD card albeit with only 2gb and now the REC switch wont turn back on. It will show gree for 5 seconds and then automatically turn back off
Is this because the memory card is too small?

I gave up and turned the fly12 off and went to have breakfast etc, come back after about an hour and noticed the fly12 was warm as if it was still on. i checked the app to make sure BT wasnt still on, Nope wasnt on. I then tried to turn the device back on and nothing happens as if it is totally flat.
So i have to master reset this POS again!

Going to try a better SD card at lunch before i try and set this thing up again.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:41 pm

That's not good Tomee. Maybe it is a dud?

@Cycliq, as I am on Android I don't know if there has been a firmware update already, but can I request OTG charging be enabled? I have an external battery pack which predominantly powers my Garmin on long rides, but it would be very useful to be able to move it to charging the Fly12 at some points, without having to switch the unit off.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm

@GeoffInBrisbane, someway back in the thread cycliq responded with regard to external charging that it was not recommended - I am guessing it is a 'can of worms' type issue for cycliq to accommodate and cater for this type of power.

I used it on the beta V2 Fly12 and was consistently getting long recording times (with a 64GB card). The light setting (and power requirement for that) will influence the run-time.
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:02 pm

anyone know of a mount which does quick release?

i used to run exposure lights with their quick release mounts shown here
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... lsrc=aw.ds

anyone know of anything similar for gopro mount?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:47 pm

I am certain you could find something on alibaba but... I don't like the idea of mounting an expensive camera on a mount that can accidentally open. I have had my seat post on the MTB open both from my cycling shorts and also being caught on a branch (after after doing something radical).

That said, I like cycle computer mounts that are hinged and require one bolt rather than two. With a hinge they are far easier to position and do up or undo.
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:15 am

i think the updated K-Edges run hinged.

does anyone know what the current firmware version is on the fly12?
trying to figure out how to update mine since its been buggy from day one.

Today it decided to turn itself off during a ride and then flip the footage upside down and beep at me every 5 seconds without recording

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:34 am

Tomee that also happened to my wifes Fly12. It seems to have fixed itself somehow as it hasn't happened again.

My Fly12 keeps randomly turning on the front light in flashing mode and stopping the recording. I've now turned every feature off (like incident detection etc) to see if that solves the issues.
Last edited by Drizt on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:18 am

the fly12 turned off on me in the dark this morning. i heard the beeps then my front light went off. quickly turned it back on and kept rolling. very odd

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:22 am

Has anyone developed a red light lense cap to use the Fly12 as a rear light as well?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:49 am

jasonc wrote:the fly12 turned off on me in the dark this morning. i heard the beeps then my front light went off. quickly turned it back on and kept rolling. very odd
I have had that happen just the once and never again since.

Actually.. since I replace the memory card and did all the software updates my unit has been running perfectly.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 pm

jasonc wrote:the fly12 turned off on me in the dark this morning. i heard the beeps then my front light went off. quickly turned it back on and kept rolling. very odd
Do you know if the Fly12 has any logging? I'll have a search of the SD card tonight to see if I can find one. Would be pretty handy if it did.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Comedian - I updated the fly12 when I got it, but not since. is there a new firmware?
drizt - i haven't seen any log files

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 pm

AUbicycles wrote:@GeoffInBrisbane, someway back in the thread cycliq responded with regard to external charging that it was not recommended - I am guessing it is a 'can of worms' type issue for cycliq to accommodate and cater for this type of power.

I used it on the beta V2 Fly12 and was consistently getting long recording times (with a 64GB card). The light setting (and power requirement for that) will influence the run-time.
Bugger. I run mine with light on full until dawn, then try to turn the light off from then on, however when riding all day I'd still like to be able to top the battery up... I implore Cycliq to change their minds on this...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 am

jasonc wrote:Comedian - I updated the fly12 when I got it, but not since. is there a new firmware?
drizt - i haven't seen any log files
I think I've had two updates. I'm on Fly12 firmware version 1604130.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:18 am

Drizt wrote:Has anyone developed a red light lense cap to use the Fly12 as a rear light as well?
I suppose you could stick some red cellophane or gels from photographic/stage lighting over the top of the light, but the supplied mounting for the Fly12 is horizontal for handlebars, whereas the Fly12 supplied mounting is vertical for seatpost attachment. You could make a mount yourself I suppose?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:21 am

For a mount ill be using a k edge saddle rail mount with a small metal gopro extender to get enough clearance to position the fly12 correctly

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:48 pm

I think you will have to do better than cellophane.

If they made ticktacks in red plastic, I would use that - and carefully cut out an exact shape to fit over the light half of the fly12 camera. If you can get a bit creative with some silicon (around the edges) or similar, you could create a nice tight seal which wont easily fall off.

I suggest testing to make sure it really does appear red to vehicles from behind.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Cycliq said the Android app was due in coming weeks on July 19 and still not here. :roll:

Also, did any of the prototype testers suggest that a status light be placed on both sides of the unit?

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Drizt wrote:Tomee that also happened to my wifes Fly12. It seems to have fixed itself somehow as it hasn't happened again.

My Fly12 keeps randomly turning on the front light in flashing mode and stopping the recording. I've now turned every feature off (like incident detection etc) to see if that solves the issues.
Turning off incident detection solved my random turning off issues. If you roll your bike around on its back wheel standing up for more than 5 seconds (or lay it over etc.) it will go into shutdown mode (takes 30 mins) and then turn on the main light in flashing mode and stop recording.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:29 pm

Drizt wrote:
Drizt wrote:Tomee that also happened to my wifes Fly12. It seems to have fixed itself somehow as it hasn't happened again.

Turning off incident detection solved my random turning off issues. If you roll your bike around on its back wheel standing up for more than 5 seconds (or lay it over etc.) it will go into shutdown mode (takes 30 mins) and then turn on the main light in flashing mode and stop recording.
Now that is fascinating. I had one unexplained shutdown and one only.. I'll go with that.

They should have some kind of indicator.. perhaps flash the light in some way. Of course this probably wouldn't help as the light on the top is on the bottom for all those with them mounted upside down.. (as previously noted).

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Comedian wrote:They should have some kind of indicator.. perhaps flash the light in some way. Of course this probably wouldn't help as the light on the top is on the bottom for all those with them mounted upside down.. (as previously noted).
5 seconds after incident mode has been triggered, an audible alert (couple of beeps) is emitted and the operation LED flashed rapidly alternating its colours (green/amber/red).

In my setup the camera is inverted so the LED isn't easily seen, so I ensure that the audio level is set at a volume which makes it unlikely for me to miss a notification.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram