fly12 first impressions

tomee

Re: fly12 first impressions

Postby tomee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:10 pm

found a quick release gopro mount

http://www.shapeways.com/product/F6ZD5E ... pter-mount

essentially just run a garmin mount upside down, attach this thing to your fly 12 and now you have a quick release

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:37 pm

tomee wrote:found a quick release gopro mount

http://www.shapeways.com/product/F6ZD5E ... pter-mount

essentially just run a garmin mount upside down, attach this thing to your fly 12 and now you have a quick release
Hmmm, make sure your using the lanyard...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:52 pm

OK... I am looking at mounts for my Fly12. I need 2-3 so to avoid having to move them between bikes. What is the easiest,cheapest best...and where from?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 pm

I'm happy with my k-edge combo mount. I have one on each bike

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:18 pm

jasonc wrote:I'm happy with my k-edge combo mount. I have one on each bike
Cheers Jasonc.

Should have mentioned...I need a different solution as I have the hide my bell Garmin mount thingamagigs..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:35 am

TheWall wrote:I need a different solution as I have the hide my bell Garmin mount thingamagigs..
next time you'll buy a BBB easy bell for $6. With the elastic band, it can be attached anywhere. Then you can buy the k-edge mount

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:01 am

TheWall, Kedge mounts are simply expensive. You can price check however they are a bite-the-bullet type purchase.

The alternative are the super-cheap and almost identical mounts from the Chinese online shopping portal Alibaba. Alibaba is massive but you have to be very cautious as the scope for fraud is well documented. I can't comment on the quality and functionality of those mounts.. but it is an option.
Cycling is in my BNA

chrisvdv

Postby chrisvdv » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am

What is your take on the android app CycliqPlus so far?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:43 pm

chrisvdv wrote:What is your take on the android app CycliqPlus so far?
No Android app for a long time yet.

Andrew`s comment from Cycling Tips on 2nd August in the comment section. http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cycliq-f ... ht-review/

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tomee

Postby tomee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
chrisvdv wrote:What is your take on the android app CycliqPlus so far?
No Android app for a long time yet.

Andrew`s comment from Cycling Tips on 2nd August in the comment section. http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/cycliq-f ... ht-review/

Android app was released yesterday

kx315

Postby kx315 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

It was a long time coming but so far it is much better to use than the IOS version. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.......it took a while for the bluetooth to cooperate but once it did its been rock solid.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:26 pm

kx315 wrote:It was a long time coming but so far it is much better to use than the IOS version. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.......it took a while for the bluetooth to cooperate but once it did its been rock solid.
Let me know if you figure out how to use Strava Overlay. I don't see how it can work when you connect wirelessly to the Fly12 to download video and also need to connect to Strava at the same time.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 pm

biker jk wrote:
kx315 wrote:It was a long time coming but so far it is much better to use than the IOS version. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.......it took a while for the bluetooth to cooperate but once it did its been rock solid.
Let me know if you figure out how to use Strava Overlay. I don't see how it can work when you connect wirelessly to the Fly12 to download video and also need to connect to Strava at the same time.
I haven't had a chance to try it yet........I had to link the app to Strava like the IOS version I am presuming it links up behind the scenes somehow??
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:25 pm

kx315 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try it yet........I had to link the app to Strava like the IOS version I am presuming it links up behind the scenes somehow??
I linked to Strava, edit a video and when I hit the Strava Overlay option it says No Strava Data is Available for this video.

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:08 pm

biker jk wrote:
It might be like the iOS version which needed you to connect to the camera via wifi and then strava overlay needed the internet data via 3G. Which is crap if you only had a wifi device such as iPad.

I dont bother with the app and just use Garmin Virb software if i need footage

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 pm

biker jk wrote:
kx315 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
I linked to Strava, edit a video and when I hit the Strava Overlay option it says No Strava Data is Available for this video.
Glad I'm not the only one getting this. I have the app loaded on a 3G android tablet. No problem connecting to the fly12 using wireless but so far not able to get it to use the 3G which I assume it has to do for the strava info.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:24 am

One of the things which took me a while to figure out with Strava overlays on the Fly12 is that your device (i.e. smart phone) needs to connect via wifi to the Fly12 and simultaneously connect to the internet over mobile data (2G / 3G / 4G). If are using at the home or office or anywhere where you have wifi, it doesn't work on wifi alone.

I get-it, that your device can't connect to two wireless hotspots (Fly12 + modem) at the same time however would like the Fly12 solution set to allow Strava data to download via wifi so that overlays are possible.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 am

For iphone users of the Cycliq app - what are your thoughts on the stability of the Wifi connection?
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 pm

I have the production version of the Fly12 in review and while many owners are familiar with the function - I have an introduction video with a quick-look at the main features and settings of the Fly12.

Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:50 pm

For Fly12 owners interested in the overlays using the Strava data, this video is a walk-through to show the setup and creation of overlays using the Cycliq Plus app.

The key is to have mobile data on and ensure that you are signed into Strava - and then setup the wifi connection from your phone to the Fly12 camera. As a note - exported videos sit on your smart phone and not on the Fly12 camera - so they can be easily reached and shared from there.

Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:47 am

Christopher, your video suggests that connecting to wi-fi turns the camera on but don't you have to turn the camera on first to connect the app via bluetooth? That's what the android app tutorial says.

I still can't get the android app to do Strava overlays. Don't see how I can have an internet connection over 4G and wi-fi connected to the camera at the same time.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:42 pm

biker jk, For Android, it appears that you need to turn the Fly12 on manually for Android.

The Fly12 will turn on automatically from the Cycliq Plus app on the iPhone. The Fly12 wifi can also be turned on manually with the onboard wifi button for the same effect.

I tried on a Samsung Galaxy tablet and you need to turn on the Fly12, and before bothering with the Cycliq Plus app, first go into your Wifi settings, locate the Fly12 and connect. Then you can open or return to the app to get a connection. I know you are already this far - but I found it a little tricky.

Inside the Cycliq Plus Android app, then inside the Strava settings, at the top right (very tiny) is a connect option.

--

On Android, the processing of videos appears to work differently from iPhone in that the video is downloaded after you preview and then click the edit button. It may be downloading the low res version.

As I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet (wifi and no mobile), when I edit I can turn on a tramline however Strava is not available. It then downloads the footage again. This can take time and I found that the percentages (display) skip up and down - e.g. 80%, then back to 65% then all around.

The next thing when done, when I name the file and press save nothing appears to be happening. I click 'save' again and it says that 'your video is in the process of being saved' however I have no visual indication of this and it appears to be taking a while - a spinning globe would be useful (and a percentage). This step took much longer than the download and it may have been the processing - about 5 minutes for 50 seconds like on iPhone.

--

Though I have a tablet with wifi and no mobile data - I checked to see if I could start the first download, then switch back however it didn't allow me this options.

It certainly would be useful to provide an alternative and I think the best option is to allow strava files to be downloaded to your smart phone - they are typically less than 1MB each so better this way than moving full-res video to the iPhone first.

--

The look and feel of the Android app is nicer than iPhone, however in a very similar manner, it is not totally intuitive. Very specifically, the app says to turn bluetooth on... but it still can't find the Fly12. Fair enough - but it should say that the FLy12 be turned on via wifi and then a link provided to the wifi to connect.

That said - on the iphone there are essentially two modes:
- Connecting to the Fly12 over bluetooth with some settings available (including giving the FLy12 a new wifi name)
- Connecting to the Fly12 over wifi wich then provides access to review / edit video.

On Android, there didn't appear (for me) to be the connection mode via bluetooth.
Cycling is in my BNA

stretts

Postby stretts » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:46 pm

With little real estate on my bullhorns I've had to go with a stem cap mount. Haven't seen much footage using one so here is some. Not an awful view, enough to document any near death experiences (in combo with my Fly6). Hands get a little in the way while on the brakes. Using this stem cap mount: http://www.pushys.com.au/tate-labs-bar- ... mount.html

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm

I found a problem with the Android app relating to selecting light settings. I turned off all the light settings but for Flashing Low (brightness). However, when I next used the camera the light setting was on Pulse Low (brightness). I tried selecting what I wanted again and the same problem occurred. I discovered that I had to select Pulse Low (brightness) for Flashing Low (brightness) to actually work.

It also typically takes 45 seconds to connect to the app via Bluetooth which is very slow. In addition, I armed the alarm today and returned after five minutes. When I selected disarm it wouldn't register.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:06 pm

biker jk wrote:I discovered that I had to select Pulse Low (brightness) for Flashing Low (brightness) to actually work.
I think this is the same on the iOS app - they are the wrong way around