Back

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Back

Postby tuco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 am

Well visiting Melbourne was an experience.

I lived half my first 20 years 50km SE of Melbourne and have been away for a further 20+ years. I've been back but never into Melbourne itself.

We went to the fireworks on the banks of the Yarra by train and it was like visiting another country. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against non caucasians, I'm just stating a fact. We have a Panamanian friend and I employ a Vanuartian (spelling) guy. Fact is we were a minority group at the fireworks. I've never been overseas and now I know what it'll be like.
In fact some of those tan skinned woman are the most beautiful women I've ever seen. Almost wished I was 20 years younger and single.
Anyway, back to reality, I'm not 20 years younger and I'm not single.
It was so packed walking back to the train that when my shoe lace came undone there was no space to bend over and tie it up and other people were standing on it all the way back to flinders street. There wasn't even standing room on the train. A sardine would have felt claustophobic. Those new trains sure are quieter than the old red rattles I went to school on and they talk!

Had a great time even though it didn't get over 20 degrees for the first three days until we went to northern Victoria.
Sadly I didn't have time to go to any cycling stores to look for clipless shoes and pedals.

The short story is that we had 3 xmas lunches, one before we left and one at each sets of parents and I actually lost a little weight and 1 cm off my waist measurement.
The big test will be when I get back on the bike tonight and discover how much fitness I've lost. I did get close to a road bike on holidays. My brother in law showed me his Cannondale with dura ace gear set and offered me a ride on it but he had clipless shoes and my foot is 4 sizes larger than his.
tuco

Return to General discussion