Insurance - Possible to cover stolen parts?

willgrice

Insurance - Possible to cover stolen parts?

Postby willgrice » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 am

Hey all,
I am trying to find bike insurance that includes cover for stolen parts. Are there any insurers providing this?
Most I have viewed state that they do not cover parts unless damage occurs to the bike also, meaning if I park my bike at the shops and someone takes my wheels, I am not covered.

Help? :?

Thanks,
Will

Ross

Re: Insurance - Possible to cover stolen parts?

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 pm

You would most likely find the excess would be similar or more than the cost of new wheels, if you can find an insurer that will cover just parts.. Bike insurance in general (IMO) is a rip-off. Bikes generally need to be near new with other exclusions like no racing and it costs similar amount to insure as a car worth a lot more.

willgrice

Postby willgrice » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Ross wrote:You would most likely find the excess would be similar or more than the cost of new wheels, if you can find an insurer that will cover just parts.. Bike insurance in general (IMO) is a rip-off. Bikes generally need to be near new with other exclusions like no racing and it costs similar amount to insure as a car worth a lot more.
Thanks Ross, where are you finding info? I haven't been able to find any that provide that level of cover.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:43 am

My bikes are insured as part of my house contents through cyclecover and they cover accessories... so I presume that would also cover parts. I recently had a claim for a replacement frame as mine was cracked and they also paid out to have the front wheel changed from QR to 15mm thu axle as the current frames had changed the forks since I purchased mine... although most accessories are less than the excess but they are covered
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.