For Chirsts sake stand up!!!!!!

beauyboy

For Chirsts sake stand up!!!!!!

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:26 pm

For New Years Eve me and my other half went for a 100k cruse along the brissy bikeways and a small bit of redcliffe.
Everything was going alright until we had to pass under the railway at Toombul. We were re-entering the bikeway off the road and there is a fair dip. I mean a real dip at least a drop/dip of 6" from road into gutter and a 12-15" climb back onto the path. Well my other half did not slow enought and he does not stand up that often, and bloody well did not stand up this time :evil: . BANG rear wheel takes full impact of change from drop to rise. His bum takes a fair impact at that time as well he being 90kg of muscle.
Did not stop just told him to stand, anyway 15ks on I fall in behind him for the first time since the impact. First thing I notice, a buckle in the wheel. The wheel is shaking 1cm to the left and rubbing on brake pad. Well ride continued got to suttons beach, Redcliffe. Redcliffe certinally needs to widen there sharded paths the last km to the beach was clogged and very frustrating.

Dropped the Bike off at the shop today for repair. One broken spoke, damaged bearings and possible further damage to the internals. Oh well my other half may learn to stand up now as he is paying for repairs.
My corner looks so wrong now with the Pionear sitting there without its mate the Discovery. :(

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:33 pm

It could have been worse. Bet his bum'll remind him to handle bumps differently in future :wink:

How long did he ride with the buckled wheel? I mean, it took you 15km to notice it - surely he noticed something was amiss? Or was his tail end too horrified to pass on the messages :shock:

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:41 pm

LOL :lol: Well I noticed a change straight after the impact. The rubbing of the brack pad slowed him down a fair bit. Well apart from that he did good. He would of ridden about 80ks with a buckled wheel. I was temped to disengauge the back brakes on the flat open bits but he was not keen on that :P .

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:47 pm

80 km eh? Stern rider. It would have been easier to turn around and go home. :wink:

Did you consider just flicking open the "funny lever you flick to open out the brakes when you take the wheel out but who's name I can't remember right now"? If it's V brakes, you pull the cable carrier out of it's notch on the brake. In either case, that opens out the brakes, enough to reduce the rubbing if not stopping the rubbing, but still leaves them operational (sort of - they wouldn't have been much fun with a buckle anyway).

Richard

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:26 pm

europa wrote: If it's V brakes, you pull the cable carrier out of it's notch on the brake.
I am a veteran of this technique, start of the ride at Oxford falls in Sydney riding down the metal stairs with sharp right bend and my bike can't decide whether to go straight or turn, hence a slightly buckled front wheel. V-brake was duely disconnected and along with it came an amazing feeling of living on the edge... all that stands behind you and a crash through the bush or off a rock is the V-brake ... behind you.

I did test it out and on one section unwittingly found out what happened when I forgot that the front brakes were not there and the rock was too wet and mossy for the rear brakes to work... off the rock with a nice soft landing in the bush next to the trail... plus the oncoming MTB pair saying "Wow".

Sometimes technical failures don't mean that the ride is over, simply the rules have changed.

Cheers
Christopher

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 pm

I see this teenager riding around town with a huffy BMX, no helmet, the front brake is broken and the rear brake is hanging very wide with shaggy ends on the cable... Ah well....

Mind you, I also see one riding a BMX with a tiny 11 or 12t rear and also tiny 22/24t or so front, and I think, "Small gears on a single speed? Don't you know you're limiting your torque, risking chain skip, and wearing through your running gear far faster than a larger set with the same ratio would give you!!?!?" :roll:

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 pm

I was going to pull the brakes on the back but as I have told my other half never to hit the front brakes, mainly due to me going over the handle bars.

Donald

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:28 pm

You're right Christopher, my advice applies to caliper brakes and not to V-brakes ... unless you are suicidal (maybe that's why I didn't pick my mistake :twisted: )

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:13 pm

OK update time.
Picked the bike up from the shop today. As well as damaged bearings and broken spoke my other half has managed to damage the axle. The guy was not able to tell me what damage there was to the axle but it needed replacing.
Oh well $45 later my other half is starting to relise he needs to stand up.

Donald

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:00 pm

At $45 it's a cheap lesson. I was expecting something a tad more horrific.

Did you bring the old axle home? If not, go back to the shop, ask for it (or another one, it doesn't matter), screw it into a vice and put a decent bend in the thing, then leave it somewhere obvious and tell everyone that he did that when he tried to ride over that kerb :twisted:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:19 pm

europa wrote:Did you bring the old axle home? If not, go back to the shop, ask for it (or another one, it doesn't matter), screw it into a vice and put a decent bend in the thing, then leave it somewhere obvious and tell everyone that he did that when he tried to ride over that kerb :twisted:

Hehehehehe, good one 8)