Belt drives about to hit mainstream?

Shard

Belt drives about to hit mainstream?

Postby Shard » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Was searching for chain info for my bike and came across an article re. Trek 2009 bikes with belt drives.

The Soho http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/ and the District http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ur ... /district/ urban bikes come standard with belts now over trains.

Unusual for something make a debut at the commuter level but what do you guys reckon on the tech behind it. I know it's not new tech but long term reckon it'll find it's place? As primarily a commuter I know I'm at least a little bit interested.

Shame there's no dropbar version (yet).

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Won't be a drop bar version for a while, no deraileurs will work with it.

Main benefit is for commuters, no grease on chain = clean trouser leg, easier to store.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:02 pm

prototype trek cyclo-cross

The soho looks v interesting.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Bnej wrote:Won't be a drop bar version for a while, no deraileurs will work with it.

Main benefit is for commuters, no grease on chain = clean trouser leg, easier to store.
maybee not but if they introduce a geared rear hub or crank similar to the two downhill crank they may put something out.But after years of servicing motorbikes with belt drives I think I will stick to a chain.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:maybee not but if they introduce a geared rear hub or crank similar to the two downhill crank they may put something out.But after years of servicing motorbikes with belt drives I think I will stick to a chain.
Weight weenie road riders won't accept what a downhiller will.

If you ran two planetary gear systems in the same drive train, you'd also end up with a potential total drive efficiency well down in the 80% range. i.e, imagine the rustiest, driest chain you can, cross chained with the front dr rubbing. But quieter. ;)

Probably will see light as single speed, someone might do a hub geared roadie one day.