2017 - 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo.

Discodan

Re: 2017 - 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo.

Postby Discodan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 am

+1 to Zwift and TodaysPlan being a good combo. I've been playing with the 2 week TP trial and was manually exporting the TP workout file to Zwift (still easy to do), now that your next weeks' of workouts appear automatically in Zwift it's even easier. Interestingly the auto generated ones are using my old FTP, I may need to regenerate the training plan.

Now it's time to decide whether to commit fully to Today's Plan...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:47 am

Discodan wrote:+1 to Zwift and TodaysPlan being a good combo. I've been playing with the 2 week TP trial and was manually exporting the TP workout file to Zwift (still easy to do), now that your next weeks' of workouts appear automatically in Zwift it's even easier. Interestingly the auto generated ones are using my old FTP, I may need to regenerate the training plan.

Now it's time to decide whether to commit fully to Today's Plan...
It helps when you have Queequeg's coach - who is an absolute top bloke.

Training Peaks you can also do workouts, but it's not so easy to put them into other apps, you've got to export the file as one of the many formats. I think Zwift is one of them, but I've only done Zwift once. Hated it, but was pretty quick up the mountain none the less. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 am

I ended up doing Zwift again. Probably will use it once a week for a longer indoor training session. Nothing specific, just smash myself as much as possible.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Over the past few months, have done the 6 week beginner FTP builder plan, followed by the 4 week FTP booster plan.

I should have done more regular FTP tests, but it looks like I've gone from an FTP of 160w to 176w.. Still fairly low, but I'm happy with that. I was starting out from nothing and at least feel I have some base level fitness now.

Currently trying to decide on another plan to follow, but for now doing a lot of SST, McCarthy Special (ouch), High Intensity Recovery and other workouts in the 60 - 90 minute range.. Definitely feeling it a lot more after having adjusted up my FTP

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

thatmdee wrote: I should have done more regular FTP tests, but it looks like I've gone from an FTP of 160w to 176w.. Still fairly low, but I'm happy with that. I was starting out from nothing and at least feel I have some base level fitness now.

Currently trying to decide on another plan to follow, but for now doing a lot of SST, McCarthy Special (ouch), High Intensity Recovery and other workouts in the 60 - 90 minute range.. Definitely feeling it a lot more after having adjusted up my FTP
That sounds awesome. Having a crack and getting fit. Gotta be happy with that :D Try getting into a few of the races for a bit of a challenge.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am

I definitely need to do something a bit more challenging. My last FTP test a few weeks ago resulted in 180w. Still fairly low, but I'm still noticing an increase in fitness. I've just finished the Zwift Academy 2016 workouts, so looking for something else to try now.

At the moment, I'm averaging around 12 hours per week (~300km) -- all of which is exclusively erg mode workouts. I really need to get out on the road more (I'm worried my bike handling skills are atrocious thanks to only riding on Zwift for the past several months!)

I'm unsure what kind of increases I should be expecting in my FTP, but I have noticed my recovery seems to be a lot quicker now. I feel as though I'm pushing myself hard enough (difficulty finishing higher intensity workouts, heart rate sufficiently high), and muscle soreness doesn't seem too bad. By the time the next day arrives. I feel ready to work out again. I'm not obsessing over FTP too much, and I think I'd prefer to try and focus more on endurance riding.

The main limit I seem to be coming up against now, is that I'd love to start doing longer rides (2 hours+). I desperately need to do a bike fit, as I find after around 90 minutes I'm sore in the behind (sit bones, I think), a bit of lower back pain and some soreness in the knees.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:27 pm

thatmdee wrote: I've just finished the Zwift Academy 2016 workouts, so looking for something else to try now.
The new Zwift workout sessions look pretty good. We all know intervals are key and and these short sessions seem to nail it. Multiple events each day.
I plan on getting on a few as they definitely look like the way to go.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 pm

I've been riding 10K+ each year for nearly eight years now.
I thought I was fit, and secretly thought I was fast. Ha, ha! :D
The LBS has loaned me a Cycleops Hammer for the weekend. Rigged it up, loaded Zwift and away I went. Cocky as...
I tried the hour and ten minute FTP Test.
Barely survived the warm-up, all fourty minutes of it.
Then I had to go like all hell for twenty minutes, with not a whole lot left.
Ten minute cool down and I was completely knackered. :D
Excellent fun though.
FTP was 160, don't tell anyone. I'm riding Zwift under a psuedonym. Strava, never. :D

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Any recommendations for good bibs that aren't too pricey for indoor riding? I'm doing around 12-13 hours a week on Zwift, which means rides of 1.5 hours+.. I want to start doing longer rides, but my bibs are a hindrance.

I'm currently just using some cheaper dhb bibs (they were around $70 each), but I think they're well past their life expectancy. I've used them for approximately 9 months now. After around 80-90 minutes, I find the chamois is way too sweaty and shifts around, and they just aren't comfortable. I have a Sunair 30cm fan, plus a Nu-Tec 30cm fan (Bunnings) -- one on either side, which should be enough?

Ideally, I don't want to spend $300+ (if possible!) for a pair of bibs. I'd like to spent around $150ish or so, and rotate between 2 pairs so I always have a pair of bibs while the other dries.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I doubt that expensive shorts are going to absorb more sweat than cheaper ones.
I've never worn bibs, I've never felt the need. Plain shorts do it for me.
The thickest pad will probably absorb more sweat than thinner ones.
Within my collection of Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneaux and Ground Effect shorts the Garneaux have the deepest padding.
As a second thought why not try no shorts at all. :lol: . By that I mean a pair of very light weight cotton or synthetic shorts without padding. Maybe less bulk under your backside will be less uncomfortable and less sweaty. I've noticed riding indoors without road vibration is much more comfy on the rear end than a real ride.
$300.00 on a pair of bike shorts/bibs is just plain ridiculous to my mind. For $100.00 I expect exceptionally good shorts such as the higher end Louis Garneaux (on special).

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Tim wrote: $300.00 on a pair of bike shorts/bibs is just plain ridiculous to my mind.
My go to brand is ALE, love all their gear. Not wearing it out on the trainer though. Cheap Anaconda bike shorts cost me about $35 on sale. They work fine for the trainer.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 am

outdoor 30646 km
inside 0 km

outdoor 26397 km - included Giro Tasmania 1018 km in 72 hrs - a complete lap of Tassie which is an awesome place to ride!! :D
inside 0 km

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 am

In 2018, the 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo. is being combined with other longer-distance challenges:
2018 - 6,000km, 10,000km and 18,000km Clubs

As these are stickies and take a bit of space in the General Cycling Discussion forum sections, the compact format makes sense and you can simply define your goal for 2018 in that thread. There might be prizes / incentives as well!

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA