2017 - 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo.

Paul B

2017 - 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo.

Postby Paul B » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Well after 20,000 KMs in 2016... this sounds achievable and a nice solid effort for the year. 2016 was 9,000 road KMs & 11,000 Zwift. The focus of many of rides I did on Zwift was Hi Intensity. Absolute hammerfest. As a result, my performance on the road improved markedly. And it was way more convenient, safer... and Zwift is an awesome community and heaps of fun.
I'll make an early prediction that my road KMs will be reduced in 2017 with a focus more centred around Zwift.

Who's in :?: :?: 8) 8)

NhiTrac

Re: 2017 - 18,000 KMs Road/Zwift combo.

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 pm

You rode 20,000km and youre in Tas?

I went to Tas for the first time for 2 weeks and all I can say is wow, your legs must look like these

https://images.google.com.au/imgres?img ... h%2Fx%2Fim

Edit: Just googled Swift... Ok so maybe not those legs but still pretty impressive I think!

So question, why so many km on the trainer and not outdoors? Doesn't it get, boring?
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:25 pm

NhiTrac wrote:You rode 20,000km and youre in Tas?

So question, why so many km on the trainer and not outdoors? Doesn't it get, boring?
Yea the cycling down here is great!! Right outside my door I have a variety of good courses to choose from. Really good. Nice hills and quiet roads. In 2016 I did 9K on the road, my biggest ever year... so what's your point :?

And... I did 11k on the trainer with Zwift as the medium. Now Zwift is bloody awesome. Massively engaging. Essentially I'm doing a lot of super hi intensity rides and racing against guys from all parts of the world. The courses are awesome, the feel is very realistic. I don't crash, get abused and in no way subject to the negative side of cycling outdoors.
When I do go outside... my fitness is massively improved due to my indoor efforts. So in 2017, the ratio of indoors vs outdoors will increase.
Zwift is already popular... by the end of 2017 I predict it will be a lot more so. Ultimately it's going to be huge. I believe that like me, many cyclists will increase their time on the trainer and reduce outdoors.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 pm

I ride to get away from being in the indoors. I couldn't think of anything worse, even if it does make me fitter.

Getting setup to do Zwift properly is not a cheap affair either.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:36 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I ride to get away from being in the indoors. I couldn't think of anything worse, even if it does make me fitter.
Glad to hear it. Each to his own of course.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:06 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Getting setup to do Zwift properly is not a cheap affair either.
That depends on what you consider cheap/expensive. If you have a reasonable computer, I am using a 2012 MacBook Pro, so I reckon a lot of users are better equipped than me in that regard. I did buy a an iPad Pro recently. That works well as you can just connect wirelessly without any other connection devices required. And I did just purchase the new Kickr for $1,500.
You can use a much more inexpensive trainer than that though.
So breaking it down... Computer, trainer and any bike will do. Plenty of cyclists will spend more on just a new bike alone this year.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Paul B wrote: so what's your point :?
Absolutely no point - was just curious as to why you racked up so many indoor miles :wink:

But your post did remind me, I have a TACX trainer sitting in my garage and I dont ride anywhere near enough. Going to taker her out again for those nights I'm feeling lazy. Might even check out this Zwift thing. Thanks!
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am

NhiTrac wrote:
Paul B wrote: so what's your point :?
Absolutely no point - was just curious as to why you racked up so many indoor miles :wink:
Yea I knew that... just a bit of stirring banter on my behalf. Look... RUN to the shed and get that trainer out. get on Zwift. It totally rocks.
My week schedule to date: Mon night. Z TAZ A- I run this group and we have an A&B bunch. A bunch is ballistic 1 hour hammerfest.
Tue night. SAS - Easy spin with a full gas 20 second sprint each of the 4 laps. 1 hour.

Wed night. AHDR - Easy 3 laps with an after party race lap which is crazy fast. 1 hour.
Matt Hayman was on the AHDR last night so that was kinda cool. I have won the AHDR race lap for the last 2 weeks. It's taken a while but I think my weekly routine is coming together. Mon - Wed is sorted. I'll be doing something else on Zwift plus I would like to get about 5 K in on the road for the year. But Zwift is such a blast that it is the priority.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Was this stickied on purpose?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 pm

BenGr wrote:Was this stickied on purpose?
Not that I'm aware of, but I wonder if all the other 2017 threads were also stickied on purpose too? ;)

I shall not be doing Zwift, did it once - that was quite enough.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:50 pm

Why wouldn't it be ?? It's a place for cyclists to who have a goal of 18K for 2017 to post. Same as the 10k club I started last year. Only this one caters to Zwift guys a little more specifically.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Paul B wrote:

Why wouldn't it be ?? It's a place for cyclists to who have a goal of 18K for 2017 to post. Same as the 10k club I started last year. Only this one caters to Zwift guys a little more specifically.
And if it had not been... It would have looked a little like the Zwift haters at work again :roll:

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:40 am

Paul B wrote:
Paul B wrote:

And if it had not been... It would have looked a little like the Zwift haters at work again :roll:
Sorry, it was just how you started the post, sounded like a personal thing.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 am

BenGr wrote: Sorry, it was just how you started the post, sounded like a personal thing.
No prob. I realised later that I left the word "Club" off the title. That would have made it a little clearer.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:31 pm

& it's a bad start to the year!!! Already off the pace. Pushed a bit hard to hit the target last year and paying the price now. Plus it's summer... not a fan of the warm weather :-) Though ... I have a house overlooking the beach :) So I would rather be cooling off in the water than sweating up a hill... or on the trainer.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I went to Tas for the first time for 2 weeks and all I can say is wow, your legs must look like these

Edit: Just googled Swift... Ok so maybe not those legs but still pretty impressive I think!

I'd imagine weather would be the main reason.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

djw47 wrote:

I'd imagine weather would be the main reason.
The weather's pretty nice in TAS, second driest capital city after Adelaide and reasonably mild conditions all year round.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Historically indoor training has been preferred by those trying to get fit as efficiently as possible or in bad weather, but Zwift is very big now (and still growing) and has attracted a whole new type of people to indoor cycling. It's closer to spin classes at the gym I guess - it's social and competitive and there is a real sense of online community around it. Some people do actually like it enough that they pretty much stop riding outside altogether and spend 1-2 hours a day on the trainer.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Historically indoor training has been preferred by those trying to get fit as efficiently as possible or in bad weather, but Zwift is very big now (and still growing) and has attracted a whole new type of people to indoor cycling. It's closer to spin classes at the gym I guess - it's social and competitive and there is a real sense of online community around it. Some people do actually like it enough that they pretty much stop riding outside altogether and spend 1-2 hours a day on the trainer.
Surely they couldn't?!?!

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Any suggestions on which workouts to look at for a beginner in Zwift?

Up until now, I've largely just been hopping on the bike and riding around in Zwift -- pushing myself for 45-60 minutes at a time.

I did a step test a few days ago, which has my estimated FTP at an embarassing 152 watts. I'll do a proper FTP test shortly. Part of me thinks the high spindown time of 35 seconds on my Kickr (it should be 17 - 23 seconds -- Wahoo support still haven't provided me a fix or feedback on my spindown data after a couple of weeks) might be throwing the accuracy out. Also happy to admit I'm only relatively new to cycling, and probably not very fit.

I was looking at Trainer Road, as it seems to have a lot of highly regarded training plans, but if possible I'd like to stick to Zwift now -- especially as it's a little more immersive and interesting to look at.

I'll also look at incorporating Golden Cheetah in as well to dig through my data.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:34 pm

If you're unfit don't worry too much about structured training programs, your goal should really just be to ride as much as you can as regularly as you can. Set a goal such as kms or hours a week and just try to be consistent. Group rides are really the main draw of Zwift, it's surprising how a little motivation and accountability gets you riding more, just like in real life. Check the mobile app for upcoming events that suit you and sign up to one. If you really do want to do a training workout or it just suits your schedule/situation more, just pick one and go for it. Pretty much anything will be good, just stay away from ones with sprint efforts, they're a pain to do on a trainer and not that useful if you just want to build general fitness. Remember you can adjust the workout up or down 10% on the fly now with pg up/dwn.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:14 am

Excellent, thanks. For now I'll just stick to my current routine, which is 45 - 60 minutes a day of just riding around in Zwift. The main thing I need to be careful of at this point is fatigue and allowing my legs to recover. Each day I try to push myself as much as possible, which is probably not the best idea.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Paul B wrote:You can use a much more inexpensive trainer than that though.
So breaking it down... Computer, trainer and any bike will do.
Let me say first - I find the idea of Zwift exciting and the very thing to get me cycling indoors. I've only recently acquired a trainer and, somewhat surprisingly, thus far I've only ever been keen to jump on for another session; I never imagined I'd take to it like I have. But the idea of Zwift takes it to the next level, and now I dream about owning the TACX Neo Smart. :mrgreen:

But - if you're looking to be "competing at your best" on Zwift then a dumb trainer just isn't going to cut it, and you'll end up feeling frustrated. Worse still, an unsupported trainer will leave you watching the bunch ride off into the sunset while you burst an artery.

Just a few days ago I signed up for a 7-day free trial on what I already knew to be an unsupported dumb trainer (beggars can't be choosers). I know Zwift caution that unsupported trainers will serve only to "give you a taste of the experience", so I didn't expect my numbers to "add up" for me but I also didn't expect to be languishing around 60W for the entire 1/2hr session. And for a bit of a reality check, whilst I was averaging 20-24kph according to IpBike on my phone (which compares well with my outdoor sessions), Zwift had me ambling along around 8-10kph on the flats and the climbs - let's just say that I would run the risk (being in NSW) of being booked for track-standing! :wink:

I did try specifying some "similar" trainers on other sessions and got... interesting... results. Whilst my flat and descent speeds were closer to what I imagine I could achieve on the road, once the road turned skyward my speed plummeted again. Again, I'm not looking for engineering/programming miracles here, but from what I've read, it's a relatively common complaint for dumb trainers in Zwift.

So whilst you could argue that Zwift-on-a-budget is possible, I would argue that it leaves you with little more than a taste and not even worth trying with an unsupported trainer. Furthermore, if you're seriously interested in being competitive, or even simply riding with a bunch at your level, you'll soon find a dumb trainer lacking and that $1,500+ trainer is going to be a need, and no longer simply a want.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 pm

If you're on a dumb trainer it's just as likely you'll be pedaling along easily and the game will say you're doing 400w and you win every race and leaderboard on Zwift. I'd imagine that's a pretty unsatisfying experience as well. If you want to have fun with it you do need to spend a little bit and get something that is at least half decent accuracy wise. The budget smart trainers like Rampa, Vortex and Snap are around $600-$700 now and if set up properly should be within 5-10% accuracy. So they still could be misleadingly inaccurate, but are probably good enough to not feel like cheating and give you a good idea about where you are. If after 12 months you still really love Zwift and use it a lot then you can consider getting a 1-2% smart trainer for $1500+ or just a power meter for your bike (which can be had for $500-$600 now).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:14 pm

thatmdee wrote:Any suggestions on which workouts to look at for a beginner in Zwift?

Up until now, I've largely just been hopping on the bike and riding around in Zwift -- pushing myself for 45-60 minutes at a time.

I did a step test a few days ago, which has my estimated FTP at an embarassing 152 watts. I'll do a proper FTP test shortly. Part of me thinks the high spindown time of 35 seconds on my Kickr (it should be 17 - 23 seconds -- Wahoo support still haven't provided me a fix or feedback on my spindown data after a couple of weeks) might be throwing the accuracy out. Also happy to admit I'm only relatively new to cycling, and probably not very fit.

I was looking at Trainer Road, as it seems to have a lot of highly regarded training plans, but if possible I'd like to stick to Zwift now -- especially as it's a little more immersive and interesting to look at.

I'll also look at incorporating Golden Cheetah in as well to dig through my data.
I am using Today's Plan for my training plan, which integrates directly into Zwift Workouts, so you can do all your planning and analysis outside of Zwift, but just jump on the trainer and knock out the planned ride simply by selecting it from the "Today's Plan Workouts" in Zwift (which only show if you have connected your Today's Plan account to Zwift obviously).

I have a coach, so he writes my plans for me, but Today's Plan has a whole library of training plans you can use to set something up for yourself depending on your needs.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi