Tyre rub - inside chainstay Giant Defy

Sparx

Tyre rub - inside chainstay Giant Defy

Postby Sparx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 am

I've got a 2016 Giant Defy and yesterday I took the rear wheel out out to change the tyre and noticed a 20c piece sized oval rub mark on the inside of the chainstay. It does not look too deep.

Anyone else had this? With the disc brakes - the wheel should always be centred correctly in the drop outs should they not?
I did have an issue with the dish on this wheel (which the bike shop fixed) so this may have been the cause. I've had the wheel out once or twice since though and I didn't notice it so I can't be sure.

Is this something I just live with or is it a warranty issue?

mikgit

Re: Tyre rub - inside chainstay Giant Defy

Postby mikgit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

the wheel should be center whether it's disc or not, But just by having dics brakes won't necessarily mean the wheel I centered.
You probably want to check wh the wheel is rubbing.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

Surely if the wheel is not sitting correctly in the drop outs then the rotor cannot be sitting correctly in the caliper (assuming a correctly built/set-up bike)? Or conversely - if the disc is not rubbing then the wheel MUST be seated in the drop outs?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Should, but it's not an absolute. Biggest IF is the assumption the caliper is actually set up perfectly, but you'll still have a tiny amount of wiggle room.
But whatever, when you have the wheel on the bike,what is it doing, if it's rubbing you need to figure out whats going on.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Sparx wrote:I did have an issue with the dish on this wheel (which the bike shop fixed) so this may have been the cause.

I reckon that's most likely it.

How flexy are your wheels? I had a cheap set of wheels which would flex when I stood on the pedals. Have you busted any spokes? Does the wheel wobble when you spin it?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

mikgit wrote:Should, but it's not an absolute. Biggest IF is the assumption the caliper is actually set up perfectly, but you'll still have a tiny amount of wiggle room.
But whatever, when you have the wheel on the bike,what is it doing, if it's rubbing you need to figure out whats going on.

Absolutely want to figure out why it's rubbing, whatever it was seems to be fine now, there is decent amount of clearance.
rkelsen wrote:
Sparx wrote:I did have an issue with the dish on this wheel (which the bike shop fixed) so this may have been the cause.

I reckon that's most likely it.

How flexy are your wheels? I had a cheap set of wheels which would flex when I stood on the pedals. Have you busted any spokes? Does the wheel wobble when you spin it?

Wheels are the standard composite wheels that came with the bike, don't think they are particularly flexi and I'm not that heavy. No broken spokes and the wheel is true.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:34 pm

What width tyre were you using?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 pm

biker jk wrote:What width tyre were you using?

25's - same as what the bike was fitted with, just a different brand (gp4000 vs giant oem)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Sparx wrote:
biker jk wrote:What width tyre were you using?

25's - same as what the bike was fitted with, just a different brand (gp4000 vs giant oem)

Ok just checking in case you were running 28s, since Conti GP4ks measure 31mm on a wide rim (17c internal) and I believe the maximum tyre width on a Defy disc is 30mm.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Sparx wrote:I've got a 2016 Giant Defy and yesterday I took the rear wheel out out to change the tyre and noticed a 20c piece sized oval rub mark on the inside of the chainstay. It does not look too deep.

Anyone else had this? With the disc brakes - the wheel should always be centred correctly in the drop outs should they not?
I did have an issue with the dish on this wheel (which the bike shop fixed) so this may have been the cause. I've had the wheel out once or twice since though and I didn't notice it so I can't be sure.

Is this something I just live with or is it a warranty issue?

The alignment of the wheel should follow that of the axles - has nothing to do with the discs. (Although properly installed disc brakes should follow the correct alignment of the wheel.

Not sure if the 2016 Defy uses QR skewers or thru-axles, but with QRs it is definitely possible to have the wheel not straight within the dropouts (especially if the wheel is installed on the stand rather than on the ground).

A wheel out-of-true (which is different to dishing) can also rub on the frame (especially with a bit of flex under power).

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 pm

madmacca wrote:
Although properly installed disc brakes should follow the correct alignment of the wheel.

Not sure if the 2016 Defy uses QR skewers or thru-axles, but with QRs it is definitely possible to have the wheel not straight within the dropouts (especially if the wheel is installed on the stand rather than on the ground).

Yes your comment about the brakes and wheel alignment following if everything is correctly installed is what I was trying to say.

2016 Defy uses QR, I am very careful when putting the wheel back in, always do it on the ground. But I think I would have noticed if the wheel was not in correctly because the brakes would have been out of alignment.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Took it to the shop. They agreed that the wheel being out of dish was the most likely cause.

They said the bike is still safe to ride and they are going to fix up the paint work for me at no cost.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 pm

In your first post you say that the wheel wasn't dished properly and had been fixed by the bike shop. How did you know the wheel wasn't dished properly given you hadn't seen the rubbing on the chainstay or did the bike shop discover the wheel wasn't dished correctly?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 pm

I noticed the wheel was not sitting centrally, had a bigger gap one one side when looking at the wheel in relation to the chain stays. There is a heap of clearance there though, even with the bad dishing.

Not sure why I didn't pick up the tyre rub then to be honest.

b2theb

Postby b2theb » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 am

Hi

I think I've sussed this....I have a Giant Defy, 2016...not that I think that it has anything to do with it!!!! I had some new wheels and as it turned out, they had not been set up properly and the hub on the drive side had not been tightened...this it turns out was enough to cause the rub....This had no effect on the Disc rubbing, but then you adjust the caliper to sit true on the disc......Hope this helps...I'm yet to hear back from the bike shop that sold me the wheel......

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”