Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Jmuzz

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?
It's just a joke that it is something which comes up as a debate, there are reasons for both over and under and a lot of it depends on the helmet, glasses and head shape and if you find scratching a $100 lens because you forgot about glasses when removing helmet to be a problem.

So they settled on over as the best looking style, or winner of the debate, in their opinion.

It's only in good fun, do whichever works for you.
If you do over then you can declare yourself correct citing velominati when having a laugh around the coffee table.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?
The reasoning is that in the event of a crash sunglasses should fall off rather than stay on and potentially cause an eye injury.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
More comfortable, having the arms under the helmet straps presses on them. I don't see what the difference is with the straps above or below the arms of the glasses with regards to your eyes watering.
Sorry. I didn't explain myself as clearly as I could have. Wearing the sunnies helps to stop my eyes from watering, the positioning of the arms doesn't make any difference in that regard. There is a small gap between my helmet straps and my head above my ears, and the spectacle arms fit nicely into this gap. If I wear the spectacles the way Rule #37 mandates, the helmet straps are pushed in and the spectacle arms are pushed out - which is what I meant by it feeling wrong!
NASHIE wrote:
It would just be a look thing, don't worry about it, i fail a good %50 of the rules, so must not be a cyclist :wink:
I like the rules but , when I read through them, I get the feeling that I am committing some kind of a fraud by representing myself as a cyclist.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 am

Philistine wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
It would just be a look thing, don't worry about it, i fail a good %50 of the rules, so must not be a cyclist :wink:
I like the rules but , when I read through them, I get the feeling that I am committing some kind of a fraud by representing myself as a cyclist.
Ah but you know the answer to that. RIde a recumbent! Then you can be comfortable and wear whatever you like[1].

Zebee

[1] There is one rule of recumbent riding.... Your shorts shall not be so loose and flappy that a bee can enter. Plus, there are things once seen cannot be unseen.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 am

Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1
People should spend more time riding and less time worrying about stupid rules. Simple.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:45 am

mikesbytes wrote:Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1
Questioning the rules is not the same as disregarding them, although, in the interests of full disclosure, I have been disregarding #Rule 37. This could change as I like the idea of sunnies falling off cleanly in an accident (thanks RonK).

At least the velominati refer to them as "rules"; unlike the pretentious administrators of sports such as cricket or Rugby, who persist in calling their rules "laws", which, of course, they are not.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 pm

We all secretly follow at least some of the Velominati Rules, even if we don't admit it :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

RonK wrote: The reasoning is that in the event of a crash sunglasses should fall off rather than stay on and potentially cause an eye injury.
I use safety glasses when riding. I came off my motorcycle in an openface helmet many years ago, the safety glasses I was wearing have a rather disturbing gouge in them. Rather them than my eyes I think. Of course if they had been standard sunglasses and not something designed to withstand sharp edged things flung at them at speed it would be a different story.

But generally safety glases are cheap, light, wrap around well to keep the wind out, and have decent UV protection and the dark ones manage as well in bright light at any sunnies I have worn.

(I also have a clear pair for low light levels)

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan
Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 pm

NASHIE wrote:Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.
Where's the like button :lol: 8)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

NASHIE wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan
Not sure that I can downgrade from a 1994 Hilux ute :(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:42 pm

RobertL wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
RobertL wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25
True!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25
Depends - is it newly registered with a full tank of fuel ? :D

spork

Postby spork » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I came to this thread after trying to find the origins of rule 36 (sunglasses over straps).
I wear prescription multifocals, and dropping them EVERY SINGLE TIME I take my helmet off sucks - so I will be a rebel and ignore this rule.
Rule 47 however is definitely worth adhering to, for cyclists, non-cyclists and everyone in between.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:11 pm

spork wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 pm
I came to this thread after trying to find the origins of rule 36 (sunglasses over straps).
I wear prescription multifocals, and dropping them EVERY SINGLE TIME I take my helmet off sucks - so I will be a rebel and ignore this rule.
Rule 47 however is definitely worth adhering to, for cyclists, non-cyclists and everyone in between.
. Rule #1: Obey The Rules :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:32 pm

I don't have much to add apart from appreciation of the title of this thread.
It works on so many levels with the rules. :)

I have violated rule #65 on several occasions.
Specifically;
"The Principle of Silence can be extended to say that if you are suffering such that your breathing begins to adversely affect the enjoyment of the other riders in the bunch, you are to summarily sit up and allow yourself to be dropped."10

:( :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I can go with #22

Cycling caps can be worn under helmets, but never when not riding, no matter how hip you think you look. This will render one a douche, and should result in public berating or beating.

The beating may be a trifle harsh. UNLESS>>>>>> said douche is wearing a baseball or trucker cap, riding or not. There's something very irritating about the sight of a baseball cap wearing dude/dudette on a velominati type bike. And Ms. Hinault should drop the next idiot that climbs the TDF podium with one on his misshapen, emaciated skull :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:41 pm

The Badger strikes again 8) :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:40 pm

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:40 am

^^I guess I did say "strikes" again :shock:
I was thinking of when he pushed that protester off the tdf presentation dias a few years back. He certainly is a volatile character.

Yeah, I violate quite a few rules.
My go to coffee is a large soy cap.
So far I have avoided a beating (off the bike anyway)
A mate shouted me a coffee on the ride yesterday and I told him of that rule. He was already aware :o :)
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:57 am

fat and old wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:16 pm
I can go with #22

Cycling caps can be worn under helmets, but never when not riding, no matter how hip you think you look. This will render one a douche, and should result in public berating or beating.

The beating may be a trifle harsh. UNLESS>>>>>> said douche is wearing a baseball or trucker cap, riding or not. There's something very irritating about the sight of a baseball cap wearing dude/dudette on a velominati type bike. And Ms. Hinault should drop the next idiot that climbs the TDF podium with one on his misshapen, emaciated skull :lol:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:40 pm

march83 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:57 am
fat and old wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:16 pm
I can go with #22

Also taxi driver in Crocodile dundee.....campag cap from memory.