Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 am

Rules 16 and 73 are canon, all else are recommendations
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:16 pm

I like Rule 40 about mounting tyres with the label over the valve stem. That makes the valve slightly easier to find.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Yep, they were borne from the old school, but are great fun to have a chuckle at - and to riducule your mates!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm

I live by rule 43.

E.g. I rode past a bloke on a penny farthing this evening. Whilst I'm sure he is used to getting comments I made him laugh when I said
"Oh, how Ordinary!"

Cheers,

Cameron

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 pm

ironhanglider wrote:"Oh, how Ordinary!"

Cheers,

Cameron
8)
Your prize Sir!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Further to "The Rules" from The Velominati, Phil Gaimon has come up with....

The (New) Rules :)

http://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules- ... iluminati/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:47 am

Toyopet wrote:Further to "The Rules" from The Velominati, Phil Gaimon has come up with....

Love it.

Except Rule #6 - Wave to triathletes ? Seriously :roll: :lol: :lol:

Actually, they are common sense, but I like 'em

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 am

The rules are just a clever ploy to get advertising revenue for their site.

Now we'll all just continue on and ride our bikes instead of worrying about stuff that doesn't need to be worried about.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 am

Yeah all fun and games *cough* *cough* I just counted 49 rules that I follow religiously. :D
I overtook some people going uphill once.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 am

MichaelB wrote:Except Rule #6 - Wave to triathletes ? Seriously :roll: :lol: :lol:
I was more perplexed by scooters. Either motorised or kids toy, they are not part of the family.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 am

Toyopet wrote:Further to "The Rules" from The Velominati, Phil Gaimon has come up with....

Nice, but even better is to stop after Rule #1:

Rule #1: Everyone riding a bike and being safe and having fun is doing it right.

The End.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:

Love it.

Except Rule #6 - Wave to triathletes ? Seriously :roll: :lol: :lol:

Actually, they are common sense, but I like 'em
You never know your luck:; if they try to wave back you'd at least get the chance to see them lose balance.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Has Phil Gaimon had a sense of humour by-pass?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:59 pm

^ Probably, but after reading through this thread it's pretty obvious than many here don't get that the Velominati Rules are a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour by a bunch cyclists who are poking fun at themselves.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Rule #25 is my favourite
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm

RonK wrote:^ Probably, but after reading through this thread it's pretty obvious than many here don't get that the Velominati Rules are a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour by a bunch cyclists who are poking fun at themselves.
It isn't really about humour or poking fun at themselves, it's really about driving traffic to their website and using viral marketing and social media sharing to do it. Such traffic also good for the advertisers too.

Maybe I'm being too cynical - but I do know that industry inside out and does anyone really do anything genuine these days in a world of alternative facts and fake news?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 am

g-boaf wrote:It isn't really about humour or poking fun at themselves, it's really about driving traffic to their website and using viral marketing and social media sharing to do it. Such traffic also good for the advertisers too.
You make it sound so evil. The guys who started Velominati are regular cycling enthusiasts with ordinary day jobs; I don't think they have an insidious marketing agenda aside from selling a few books and apparel - when available - and keeping their web hosting fees paid up.

I mean, they haven't really posted anything since January this year and there was a fair gap before that, if it was a viral marketing machine wouldn't they be bombarding us with tweets and updates?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am

P!N20 wrote:I mean, they haven't really posted anything since January this year and there was a fair gap before that, if it was a viral marketing machine wouldn't they be bombarding us with tweets and updates?
They don't need to do anything, you are all doing the work for them - exactly perfect. When the readers are sharing your work for you, your content is working. :D If only it were always that easy.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 am

g-boaf wrote:
P!N20 wrote:I mean, they haven't really posted anything since January this year and there was a fair gap before that, if it was a viral marketing machine wouldn't they be bombarding us with tweets and updates?
They don't need to do anything, you are all doing the work for them - exactly perfect. When the readers are sharing your work for you, your content is working.
Meh - that applies to any web site, including this one
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 am

g-boaf wrote:They don't need to do anything, you are all doing the work for them - exactly perfect. When the readers are sharing your work for you, your content is working. :D If only it were always that easy.
I, for one, welcome our new internet overlords.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm

When I first became aware of the rules (in these columns as it happens), I commented that the knowledge had depressed me, as I had previously believed myself to be a cyclist, and the rules made it clear to me to me that I was just a bloke who rode a bike. I was of course joking, but there was an underlying kernel of truth in my words. I believe there is more to being a cyclist than simply throwing your leg over the crossbar occasionally and pedaling off into the distance. In my view, the rules are taking a gentle dig at the pretensions of some cyclists, while at the same time delivering a serious message of respect - respect yourself, respect your sport, respect your bike, and respect other cyclists!

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:24 pm

You can tell the true Velominati - they're the ones whose glasses clatter to the ground as they remove their helmets after a ride. (Rule 36) :roll:

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?
More comfortable, having the arms under the helmet straps presses on them. I don't see what the difference is with the straps above or below the arms of the glasses with regards to your eyes watering.

I'm wearing POC glasses that fit quite well, they have only minimal gaps around the edges. However this was still enough for a bee to manage to get inside them on a high speed and very bumpy descent (around 65km/h) last week. Maximum braking ensued, ripped those glasses off and swatted that thing away. Thank heavens it didn't sting me. :shock: :shock: :shock: That was a close call!
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?
It would just be a look thing, don't worry about it, i fail a good %50 of the rules, so must not be a cyclist :wink: