Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Jmuzz
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?


It's just a joke that it is something which comes up as a debate, there are reasons for both over and under and a lot of it depends on the helmet, glasses and head shape and if you find scratching a $100 lens because you forgot about glasses when removing helmet to be a problem.

So they settled on over as the best looking style, or winner of the debate, in their opinion.

It's only in good fun, do whichever works for you.
If you do over then you can declare yourself correct citing velominati when having a laugh around the coffee table.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 10316
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: If you need to know, ask me
Contact:

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Philistine wrote:I realize I'm not supposed to question the rules but I don't understand what's behind rule #37 - the arms of the eye ware shall always be placed over the helmet straps. This has only just become an issue for me as I have developed a problem wherein my eyes have started watering excessively on cold days, and I have experienced some relief by wearing sunnies. Wearing the arms over my helmet straps simply feels wrong. Can anyone explain?

The reasoning is that in the event of a crash sunglasses should fall off rather than stay on and potentially cause an eye injury.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Philistine
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Philistine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
More comfortable, having the arms under the helmet straps presses on them. I don't see what the difference is with the straps above or below the arms of the glasses with regards to your eyes watering.

Sorry. I didn't explain myself as clearly as I could have. Wearing the sunnies helps to stop my eyes from watering, the positioning of the arms doesn't make any difference in that regard. There is a small gap between my helmet straps and my head above my ears, and the spectacle arms fit nicely into this gap. If I wear the spectacles the way Rule #37 mandates, the helmet straps are pushed in and the spectacle arms are pushed out - which is what I meant by it feeling wrong!

NASHIE wrote:
It would just be a look thing, don't worry about it, i fail a good %50 of the rules, so must not be a cyclist :wink:

I like the rules but , when I read through them, I get the feeling that I am committing some kind of a fraud by representing myself as a cyclist.

zebee
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 am

Philistine wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
It would just be a look thing, don't worry about it, i fail a good %50 of the rules, so must not be a cyclist :wink:

I like the rules but , when I read through them, I get the feeling that I am committing some kind of a fraud by representing myself as a cyclist.


Ah but you know the answer to that. RIde a recumbent! Then you can be comfortable and wear whatever you like[1].

Zebee


[1] There is one rule of recumbent riding.... Your shorts shall not be so loose and flappy that a bee can enter. Plus, there are things once seen cannot be unseen.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19153
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 am

Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9842
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1


People should spend more time riding and less time worrying about stupid rules. Simple.

Philistine
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:45 am

mikesbytes wrote:Questioning the rules means you are not complying with Rule #1


Questioning the rules is not the same as disregarding them, although, in the interests of full disclosure, I have been disregarding #Rule 37. This could change as I like the idea of sunnies falling off cleanly in an accident (thanks RonK).

At least the velominati refer to them as "rules"; unlike the pretentious administrators of sports such as cricket or Rugby, who persist in calling their rules "laws", which, of course, they are not.

Arbuckle23
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 pm

We all secretly follow at least some of the Velominati Rules, even if we don't admit it :lol:

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19153
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

zebee
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby zebee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

RonK wrote:The reasoning is that in the event of a crash sunglasses should fall off rather than stay on and potentially cause an eye injury.


I use safety glasses when riding. I came off my motorcycle in an openface helmet many years ago, the safety glasses I was wearing have a rather disturbing gouge in them. Rather them than my eyes I think. Of course if they had been standard sunglasses and not something designed to withstand sharp edged things flung at them at speed it would be a different story.

But generally safety glases are cheap, light, wrap around well to keep the wind out, and have decent UV protection and the dark ones manage as well in bright light at any sunnies I have worn.

(I also have a clear pair for low light levels)

NASHIE
Posts: 645
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby NASHIE » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan


Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.

Arbuckle23
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 pm

NASHIE wrote:Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.


Where's the like button :lol: 8)

RobertL
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

NASHIE wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan


Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.


Not sure that I can downgrade from a 1994 Hilux ute :(
Image

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19153
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:42 pm

RobertL wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I'm not complying with Rule #25 :( I should visit my bank manager for a personal loan


Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.


Not sure that I can downgrade from a 1994 Hilux ute :(

Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RobertL
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby RobertL » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
RobertL wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
Nah just downgrade the car and upgrade the bike with the cash :wink:.


Not sure that I can downgrade from a 1994 Hilux ute :(

Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25


True!
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7885
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Velominati - The Rules. From revered to ridiculed?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Ah but if you have a 94 Hilux then you are probably complying with Rule #25

Depends - is it newly registered with a full tank of fuel ? :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: antigee, Cosh, mgnovenie