A born again rider with some questions

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Insert blatant product plug here.....

I've been wearing Ground Effect Supertanker shorts or Ranchslider longs for years, they aren't lined or padded as such, but they do have a seamless crotch area which has a towelling? sort of insert for a bit of bum comfort, the longs also do a great job of reducing road rash for those "unfortunate" moments :shock: they also have velcro bits to snug the legs around the ankles.

As for other products, get some nappy rash cream from the chemist. It soothes and protects. Just don't tell them why :lol:

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:40 pm

beauyboy wrote:bike knicks are not essential. Most of the time when I ride I ride in Jeans. Unfortunitly all my jeans now have a dirty big grease stain on the right leg :? but whos going to notice :P .
Now you may wonder why I ride with Jeans on up in brissy well simple fact is I have had two accidents. In both cases I was wearing jeans and the jeans pretected my legs from some pretty nice cuts. Sure I still had blood comin out but still less then if I had had shorts on.

Donald
i'm often riding in jeans, simply cos there's not the option of a shower/change at the end of that commute... yes, had the jeans rub the chain and get wrecked, so i decided stuff the fashioon sense, and stuff the jeans into the socks, now it's all good... well, until you forget to pull them out after the ride, and everyone starts looking at you weird and giggling.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:48 pm

ok, I get the message :) Thanks.

I went for my first double digit ride today, road from Glen Waverley almost to Oakleigh and back again, mostly on the Scotchmans Creek trail. I knew it was there, but had never been near it before - it's really quite nice. The light rain didn't deter, it helped keep things cool. :)

I've now found my nerve-induced speed limit - 50km. I let the bike get up to that down a larger hill, and though "yup, that's fast enough for me". :shock:

So 13km today, in about 1'15". It might sound like a leisurely pace, but I was keeping an eye on the ticker, and I averaged 152bpm, with a peak of 176, I'm not willing to push any harder yet, I've still got some fitness to build.

Definitely must get a bike rack too - the bikes don't fit in the back of the wifes car (she drives the big car) with a passenger in the front seat. I've got a tow bar on order for mine, just have to wait for it to be fabricated and shipped.

Thanks again to everyone - your advice and encouragement is making this a far less daunting experience than it may otherwise have been.

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:04 pm

Well done on the ride Pugsly! 50kph! That's pretty fast in my book. Must have been a decent hill too. I've come close to 50 a couple of times when rolling down a hill and was in the same boat as you. No peddling and that was fast enough for now.

Keep it up. We might even get there. Make that....we WILL get there!

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Pugsly, at the rate you have been riding, it will only be a matter of time before you find all your clothes getting too big and those shorts that didnt fit will be too. So the frustration of having something not fit will turn to the frustration and joy of finding clothes in your wardrobe that dont fall off! (Lost 20kgs myself so know all about it) Keep it up, you are doing well. It's great to see another person catch the cycling bug.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:13 pm

The worst part about all this pugsly, is that we won't let you change your usename. In two years time, new members will be wondering about this bloke called pugsly doing 100km sprints before breakfast and eating pro-racing bikes for morning tea :D

Well done mate.

Richard

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:42 pm

This is a way of enjoying being a brand new rider again without any pain.

Robert

eldavo

Re: A born again rider with some questions

Postby eldavo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:43 am

Bump for Puglsey.