Victorian Gravel Routes

Calvin27

Re: Victorian Gravel Routes

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Toyopet wrote:Head out from Hurstbridge to Strathewen, where you’ll find a range of options. You can even avoid much of the (quiet) main road to Strathewen and take the gravel road off to the left; Eagles Nest Rd. This road is not too rough or steep. Once you get to Strathewen, you can choose 1 - Bowden Spur, 2 - Beale Ave, 3 - Bald Spur, or 4 - Chads Creek/Pine Ridge.

Bowden Spur is quite climbable on a road bike. Beale Ave and Bald Spur are steeper and rougher. A CX with good gearing or a MTB is recommended. Chads Ck/Pine Ridge is beyond MTB capability, and you’ll be walking much of the way up. These two tracks take you closer to Mt Sugarloaf and Pheasant Ck rather than Kinglake.

If you take the main road up to Kinglake from Hurstbridge, there’s an option to go off-road onto Cookson Hill Track. This is the track towards the left from Mountain Rush Junction. It’s steeper and rockier than the main road, with quite a bit of single track at the start, which widens out once you get into it. CX and MTB are fine on this track.
Cheers - wealth of info there! Right now my legs are a little bit crap so happy to mtb
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 pm

The route I have taken in that area a few times is https://www.mapmyride.com/au/greensboro ... -309195319

The climb up Old Toolangi Rd is quite pleasant.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:29 pm

nezumi wrote:The route I have taken in that area a few times is https://www.mapmyride.com/au/greensboro ... -309195319

The climb up Old Toolangi Rd is quite pleasant.
Thanks mate, gonna copy your route but shorten it a bit - still recovering from holiday fatness haha.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I need a big gravel ride soon. Maybe Friday.

Maybe Old Toolangi Rd ...Healesville/Panton’s Gap/LaunchingPlace/trail back towards Lilydale. Train home from Lilydale, about 132kms. Ride all the way, ~155kms.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I need a big gravel ride soon. Maybe Friday.

Maybe Old Toolangi Rd ...Healesville/Panton’s Gap/LaunchingPlace/trail back towards Lilydale. Train home from Lilydale, about 132kms. Ride all the way, ~155kms.
I took advantage of the AFL Grand Final public holiday a couple years back and rode Hursty - Toolangi (going similar to the route above), camped overnight, then on to Warburton via Panton Gap and the O'Shannassy Aqueduct Trail - before bailing on the extra nights due to torrential and ceaseless rain. Rode the rail trail back to Lilydale to get home.

I'm hoping to take Mr 2.5 on the rail trail as an overnighter sometime in the next three months (weather dependant).

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:14 pm

nezumi wrote:

I took advantage of the AFL Grand Final public holiday a couple years back and rode Hursty - Toolangi (going similar to the route above), camped overnight, then on to Warburton via Panton Gap and the O'Shannassy Aqueduct Trail - before bailing on the extra nights due to torrential and ceaseless rain. Rode the rail trail back to Lilydale to get home.

I'm hoping to take Mr 2.5 on the rail trail as an overnighter sometime in the next three months (weather dependant).
Nice. My ‘short’ option (more likely) is train to Lilydale, trail and Dons Rd, back of Donna, lunch in Warby, trail to Lilydale(train) or home. 110/130 km.

I wish they’d get on with a rail trail Lilydale>YarraGlen.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I wish they’d get on with a rail trail Lilydale>YarraGlen.
Reckon I'll have 'graduated' to an e-bike by the time that happens :lol:

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Hey Calvin27,

It sounds like you’re prepared to head to Kinglake from Yarra Glen / Steels Creek rather than Hurstbridge. Old Toolangi Rd to Kinglake is a nice option. There are a couple of other options from Yarra Glen / Steels Creek which will bring you out a little closer to Kinglake.

1 – Mt Slide Rd, a gravel road just west of the main Melba Highway. Probably not as nice as Old Toolangi Rd, as it’s a little busier (but not really busy at all). The surface is usually good unless there’s been a recent laying of fresh gravel. It’s not too steep. Road bike climbable.

2 – Old Kinglake Rd, a closed unsealed road which is surprisingly good, and brings you out onto the main Hurstbridge-Kinglake Rd at Mountain Rush Junction from where you have the option continue straight across the main road onto Cookson Hill Track. Old Kinglake Rd has a clay base rather than a gravel base. It’s not too steep. The only things to be wary of are the occasional open drainage furrows and uncleared fallen branches/trees, as this road is not cleared very often. Road bike climbable.

3 – Mt Everard Track, just off to the east of the main Hurstbridge-Kinglake Road. This one is not from Yarra Glen / Steels Creek, but from the St Andrews area. Pick up Mt Everard Track from Buttermans Track (sealed), Fox Rd (unsealed) or Rifle Range Rd (unsealed). It’s a little steep and rocky in spots. CX or MTB recommended.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Toyopet wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I wish they’d get on with a rail trail Lilydale>YarraGlen.
Reckon I'll have 'graduated' to an e-bike by the time that happens :lol:
actually got an email update on it a few days ago saying starting construction (not design/consultation?) in early 2019 so I'm hopeful and looking forward to it:

this is link to register for updates: https://rideyarraranges.us3.list-manage ... 25a1a9154b

plain text from update copied below

Wondering what's been happening with the Yarra Valley Trail project?

We're getting ready for stage one from Lilydale to Yarra Glen!

Community information sessions
View the Yarra Valley Trail stage one plans and have your questions answered at one of our community information sessions:

Saturday 10th November, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Lilydale (at the Lilydale Reserve entry on Main Street near the Olinda Creek bridge)

Thursday 15th November, 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Yarra Glen (at McKenzie Reserve)

Saturday 17th November, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Yarra Glen (at the pedestrian lights on Bell Street)

Works starting soon!
Construction for stage one of the Yarra Valley Trail will start at the Lilydale end in early 2019.

This stage will be approximately 12 kilometres long and will run along the rail corridor between Lilydale and Yarra Glen.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 pm

antigee wrote:......actually got an email update on it a few days ago saying starting construction (not design/consultation?) in early 2019 so I'm hopeful and looking forward to it:

this is link to register for updates: https://rideyarraranges.us3.list-manage ... 25a1a9154b
Thanks for the good news antigee.
I'm now registered.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 am

Toyopet wrote:
antigee wrote:......actually got an email update on it a few days ago saying starting construction (not design/consultation?) in early 2019 so I'm hopeful and looking forward to it:

Thanks for the good news antigee.
I'm now registered.
Ditto. :)
The initial trail section to Yarra Glen is the key for me to open up the climbs described either side of Melba Hwy by Toyopet. Otherwise I have a long ride from home in Balwyn through Eltham or Warrandyte just to get to the good bits !

I’m looking forward to being able to begin and end some more great rides from Lilydale station. Also I occasionally drive to YarraJunction or Warburton to do bigger training rides to DonnaBuang/Lake Mountain/Marysville/AcheronWay. With the loop in place I can get in a big ride in including some decent climbs up to Toolangi and Pantons Gap in a loop from Lilydale. Always good to be able to leave the car at home. :wink:

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:18 am

On the other hand we have this:

http://www.yvr.org.au/lilydale-leader-2-10-18/

Looks like a classic left hand/right hand situation.

I am a fan of both heritage railways and rail trails!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:28 am

Mike Ayling wrote:On the other hand we have this:

Mike
Me too, though I prefer actual functional railways to heritage/tourist ones.

antigee

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:43 am

Mike Ayling wrote:On the other hand we have this:

Mike
not sure how that impacts stage 2 of the Yarra trail plans but like above I'm happy that will be able to safely loop thru Yarra Glen

under FAQ on the Yarra Valley Trail site (same link as my post above):

"Will the rail trail prevent the rail corridor from being used for trains in the future?

Planning for the trail has involved working with Yarra Valley Railway, including agreement regarding the sharing of facilities at the Yarra Glen Station and keeping the option open for a tourist railway between Yarra Glen and Lilydale in the future.

The existing train tracks between Lilydale and Yarra Glen are in poor condition and will be removed to accommodate the trail. Extensive bridge and rail construction works will be required to accommodate any future rail provision along this corridor."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm

antigee wrote: not sure how that impacts stage 2 of the Yarra trail plans but like above I'm happy that will be able to safely loop thru Yarra Glen

under FAQ on the Yarra Valley Trail site (same link as my post above):

"Will the rail trail prevent the rail corridor from being used for trains in the future?

Planning for the trail has involved working with Yarra Valley Railway, including agreement regarding the sharing of facilities at the Yarra Glen Station and keeping the option open for a tourist railway between Yarra Glen and Lilydale in the future.

The existing train tracks between Lilydale and Yarra Glen are in poor condition and will be removed to accommodate the trail. Extensive bridge and rail construction works will be required to accommodate any future rail provision along this corridor."
I do not forsee the railway line between Lilydale and Yarra Glen ever being replaced notwithstanding any pork barrel promises by politicians which disappoints me as a heritage railway fan but second prize of a rail trail is a great idea.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:I do not forsee the railway line between Lilydale and Yarra Glen ever being replaced notwithstanding any pork barrel promises by politicians which disappoints me as a heritage railway fan but second prize of a rail trail is a great idea.

Mike

It will when they want this area to become like Cranbourne and split it up into thousands of 1/4 acre plots which I guess us what the people asking for the railway want? :evil:

antigee

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm

piledhigher wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote:I do not forsee the railway line between Lilydale and Yarra Glen ever being replaced notwithstanding any pork barrel promises by politicians which disappoints me as a heritage railway fan but second prize of a rail trail is a great idea.

Mike

It will when they want this area to become like Cranbourne and split it up into thousands of 1/4 acre plots which I guess us what the people asking for the railway want? :evil:

being a pom I love the expression "pork barrelling" ... not sure what people are asking for but big money is being committed to a steam heritage rail project Yarra Glen to Healesville...not quite the same as extending the (rail) commuter belt beyond Lilydale

this article seems to suggest cyclists will be welcome on the trains and am pretty impressed by the levels of volunteer commitment

http://www.yvr.org.au/mountain-views-mail-25-09-2018-2/

yarra valley railway homepage here http://www.yvr.org.au/ good luck to them .... see no conflict with the railtrail program ....might head along on Saturday to the Lilydale consultation and ask but means getting up early after youngest plays ice hockey and get home after midnight :shock:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
nezumi wrote:

Nice. My ‘short’ option (more likely) is train to Lilydale, trail and Dons Rd, back of Donna, lunch in Warby, trail to Lilydale(train) or home. 110/130 km.

I wish they’d get on with a rail trail Lilydale>YarraGlen.
Well today I rode a shorter mixture of the above due to time constraint and some CBFs.

Train to Lilydale, trail to Dons Rd, O’Shannassy Aqueduct Trail to Acheron Way, down to Warby (stopped at Cog Cafe), trail back to Lilydale. Nice loop, 86kms.

Never actually done the aqueduct trail before - some nice views over Yarra valley. Steep climb uphill from Dons Rd though ! Must do the section out to O’Shannassy Dam sometime.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:26 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Train to Lilydale, trail to Dons Rd, O’Shannassy Aqueduct Trail to Acheron Way, down to Warby (stopped at Cog Cafe), trail back to Lilydale. Nice loop, 86kms.

Never actually done the aqueduct trail before - some nice views over Yarra valley. Steep climb uphill from Dons Rd though ! Must do the section out to O’Shannassy Dam sometime.
I've done this in reverse - it's much more friendly going up the regular donna buang on tarmac, then descending on the rough stuff and don road. I generally have to look at elevations before I commit due to being soft haha!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:44 pm

cyclotaur wrote: Well today I rode a shorter mixture of the above due to time constraint and some CBFs.

Yeah, that first section off Dons Rd is a major shock - especially when you are coming from the other direction and go past it! :oops:

I highly recommend riding the O'Shannassy Aqueduct east of Acheron Way and venturing down through the Redwoods.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:10 am

Calvin27 wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:

I've done this in reverse - it's much more friendly going up the regular donna buang on tarmac, then descending on the rough stuff and don road. I generally have to look at elevations before I commit due to being soft haha!
It was a snap decision, was planning to head up the back of Donna but changed my mind after flagging on the first uphill on Don Rd. Strava tells me I took about 5 minutes to drag the 11kg gravel bike up that slope ! :oops:

I prefer the clockwise routes as I can then stop for a break in Warby after doing all the climbing and before heading back to Lilydale.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:12 am

nezumi wrote:
cyclotaur wrote: Well today I rode a shorter mixture of the above due to time constraint and some CBFs.

Yeah, that first section off Dons Rd is a major shock - especially when you are coming from the other direction and go past it! :oops:

I highly recommend riding the O'Shannassy Aqueduct east of Acheron Way and venturing down through the Redwoods.
Yes, definitely on the agenda. Are there good routes back to the Woods Pt road from the O’Shannassy dam, or is it best to return along the trail?

antigee

Postby antigee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:19 am

not quite as far as the Dam but Cement Rd / road 18 is a good alternative to the Donna Buang sealed rd

road 1 looks like it could be a good option? the only time been as far as the Damn I ran out of water :-( and so just went back without exploring reminded me to go have another look