Wahoo Kickr Snap Club?

clint66

Re: Wahoo Kickr Snap Club?

Postby clint66 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 pm

so do you need to do the spin down every time you connect the bike to the trainer?

Agree they should give you the Ant+ dongle with the unit. I can't understand how some brands can ask $68 for a dongle.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

clint66 wrote:so do you need to do the spin down every time you connect the bike to the trainer?

Agree they should give you the Ant+ dongle with the unit. I can't understand how some brands can ask $68 for a dongle.

I'm going to do it again Clint ... when I first set it up I wasn't sure of the procedure and ate into the first part of the calibration doing nothing. I've just been for my second Zwift ride with what feels like the correct resistance from the KickR - did the London Loop with the Box Hill climb (15.1km) round trip. The KickR was brilliant, added resistance where you expect it ... I stepped off the bike leaving a pool of water beneath my handle bars and felt like a drenched towel. I'll fine tune the spindown and report back but essentially I'm getting one hell of a work out in the meantime ... my power is relative to whether I feel like I'm getting my behind kicked or not ... at the moment that's all I'm really concerned with. I'll be buying a Stages or Quark PM later so dead on accurate can wait ... I'm just looking for a workout on days I can't get outside right now and so far I'm happy.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am

UPDATE ...

So ... now I've had a couple weeks to play with Zwift and my KickR Snap here's my brief review ...

Do I have to re-calibrate Spindown each time I ride on the KickR Snap? ... Ans = No. Here's what I did and how I've maintained consistency so far.

1 - I have my Bike set up on the KickR and leave it in situ ...
2 - I make sure the rear tyre is inflated to 110psi before every ride.
3 - The Blue Knob on the KickR that engages the roller to the rear wheel does not have any indicator on it to provide the user with a reference point for making the turns consistent. This is KEY ... using BluTack, I marked a section of the Blue Knob (BK) at the 12-o-Clock position and then wound it in 2 full 360 degree turns until the roller just touched the rear wheel. From here I made 2 full turns as advised by Wahoo and conducted a Spindown Test. My initial Spindown at 2 turns gave me a result of 19 seconds ... too long. I then made quarter turns beyond the 2 turns and performed 3 additional Spindown tests. At 2 and 3/4 turns exactly I got my Spindown just under 15 Seconds which is acceptable for Wahoo. If I had made 3 Full turns I could have got it to 12.5 seconds or so ... but I was happy with the resistance and the feel of the Bike on the KickR.

I have had solid results since then and have already clocked in 250km on Zwift. If you follow the above procedure I can't see anyone having any issues - my calculated Watts readings have been consistent and I'm fine with that. I did notice that Zwift would not read my speed beyond 82km on a decent ... I was out of the saddle on one decent and know I was putting down more speed than 82km but somehow between the KickR and Zwift it maxed out at 82km and would not read above it ... pretty sure I was up around 90km.

I have had no issues with noise or vibration from the roller on the KickR Snap and I'm Zwift subscribed, addicted and RIDING ON!

RR.
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks for the 'review' RR!

I'm a newcomer to both trainers and Zwift but I'm already hooked! Unfortunately my dumb trainer isn't officially supported (original model JetBlack Fluid) but I choose the Z1 just to get some numbers happening for me. Took a blind stab at my FTP just to be able to do Jon's Short Mix for a few weeks; sweet-spot interval seems OK but I can't hit those 10s intervals at 300% FTP! Regardless, it's fun and I'm getting a workout!

Anyway I'm eager for more accurate numbers so I'm weighing up my options of supported dumb trainer, low-end smart trainer (eg Snap), or wait until I can afford the bees-knees (I've always been a bees-knees type of consumer). Decisions, decisions...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

Shelby35

Postby Shelby35 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 pm

How is the KickR Snap going? Looking at getting onr.
Rural Rider wrote:UPDATE ...

So ... now I've had a couple weeks to play with Zwift and my KickR Snap here's my brief review ...

Do I have to re-calibrate Spindown each time I ride on the KickR Snap? ... Ans = No. Here's what I did and how I've maintained consistency so far.

3 - The Blue Knob on the KickR that engages the roller to the rear wheel does not have any indicator on it to provide the user with a reference point for making the turns consistent. This is KEY ... using BluTack, I marked a section of the Blue Knob (BK) at the 12-o-Clock position and then wound it in 2 full 360 degree turns until the roller just touched the rear wheel. From here I made 2 full turns as advised by Wahoo and conducted a Spindown Test. My initial Spindown at 2 turns gave me a result of 19 seconds ... too long. I then made quarter turns beyond the 2 turns and performed 3 additional Spindown tests. At 2 and 3/4 turns exactly I got my Spindown just under 15 Seconds which is acceptable for Wahoo. If I had made 3 Full turns I could have got it to 12.5 seconds or so ... but I was happy with the resistance and the feel of the Bike on the KickR.

I have had solid results since then and have already clocked in 250km on Zwift. If you follow the above procedure I can't see anyone having any issues - my calculated Watts readings have been consistent and I'm fine with that. I did notice that Zwift would not read my speed beyond 82km on a decent ... I was out of the saddle on one decent and know I was putting down more speed than 82km but somehow between the KickR and Zwift it maxed out at 82km and would not read above it ... pretty sure I was up around 90km.

I have had no issues with noise or vibration from the roller on the KickR Snap and I'm Zwift subscribed, addicted and RIDING ON!

RR.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Shelby35 wrote:How is the KickR Snap going? Looking at getting onr.
Rural Rider wrote:UPDATE ...

RR.

All good mate, no problems at all ...

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

Kumungi

Postby Kumungi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Shane Miller, aka gplama, has completed a review of the kickr snap on his youtube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waV9l2wMANM

Worth a watch!

K
Giant Defy 1 2014
Giant Defy 3 2014 Composite
Giant Talon 29er 2014

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:07 am

I am a keen on the road rider and would rather ride outside than inside. But having said that I am not keen on riding in the rain.
So looking for a solution for those days when it is too wet and I need to ride.

I have a cheap mag trainer and to be honest really dislike riding on it.
Is riding Kickr Snap that much of an improvement?
Is Zwift worth the subscription?
Considering I will always prefer to be out if possible and only use inside if the weather is bad.

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:22 pm

so with less commuting time i have decided to go trainer route but undecided between the snap and tacx flux.

I know they are totally different price points but half of me wants the flux purely because of the noise aspect and the other half wants the snap because of the cost. ( iam able to purchase the snap for $675 new)

how bad is the noise from this thing?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 pm

tomee wrote:so with less commuting time i have decided to go trainer route but undecided between the snap and tacx flux.

I know they are totally different price points but half of me wants the flux purely because of the noise aspect and the other half wants the snap because of the cost. ( iam able to purchase the snap for $675 new)

Dunno about the noise - there are comparative tests on DC Rainmaker and Shane Miller's youtube channel.

For mine (own a Kickr and used to own Cycleops PowerBeam Pro), I'd opt for the direct-drive wheel-off trainer EVERY time. The set-up is more consistent, no need to worry about turns of the knob, or tyre pressure, or trainer tyres.

Also consider the Elite Direto, which should be available soon.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Jamis Xenith Elite

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:24 pm

tomee wrote:so with less commuting time i have decided to go trainer route but undecided between the snap and tacx flux.

Not sure of the Aussie pricing on the Flux, but I would hazard a guess that its less than $200 difference with Snap. I would go with the Flux then for same reasons as given by Macca.

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

cheapest Flux is $990 Australian stock so $300 is a big jump