True turn by turn navigation app - GPX/TCX

Andylos

True turn by turn navigation app - GPX/TCX

Postby Andylos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have searched high and low and am unable to find a true turn by turn app for my iphone to navigate a planned route (from a TCX or GPX file).

Is anyone, aware of an app that can do this, ideally a similar view to google maps would be brilliant but i think i may be pushing my luck.The best i have seen is a dot on a map.

Im after a relatively seamless experience from loading the route to using the app. I have a Garmin Edge 520 and wouldn't use the navigation on this as its pretty useless.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

RonK

Re: True turn by turn navigation app - GPX/TCX

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 pm

RidewithGPS
Viewranger
Maps.Me
Mapout
Maps 3D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Have you considered using google maps for navigation? Or Strava for iPhone? I'm not sure if Strava does turn by turn, but you get a map, and google maps definitely does turn by turn navigation, though I'm not sure if you can upload a TCX/GPX or select a specific route.

Andylos

Postby Andylos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Harrys767, I dont believe you can load a route in Google Maps and have turn by turn.
RonK, thanks for the list, RidewithGps looks the best but i think it works out at $10 a month which is very expensive. The others dont look very suitable and/or dont have turn by turn.

There seems to be a massive gap in the market for an app which is reasonably priced, offers cycling specific gps nav features and has a relatively good GUI.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Andylos wrote:Hi Harrys767, I dont believe you can load a route in Google Maps and have turn by turn.
RonK, thanks for the list, RidewithGps looks the best but i think it works out at $10 a month which is very expensive. The others dont look very suitable and/or dont have turn by turn.

There seems to be a massive gap in the market for an app which is reasonably priced, offers cycling specific gps nav features and has a relatively good GUI.
RidewithGPS is free.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:12 pm

RonK wrote:
Andylos wrote:Hi Harrys767, I dont believe you can load a route in Google Maps and have turn by turn.

RidewithGPS is free.
Not if you want turn by turn directions.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Andylos wrote:Hi,

I have searched high and low and am unable to find a true turn by turn app for my iphone to navigate a planned route (from a TCX or GPX file).

Is anyone, aware of an app that can do this, ideally a similar view to google maps would be brilliant but i think i may be pushing my luck.The best i have seen is a dot on a map.

Im after a relatively seamless experience from loading the route to using the app. I have a Garmin Edge 520 and wouldn't use the navigation on this as its pretty useless.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
It's not an app, and I haven't personally tried it on a Garmin, but I think you can export .tcx turn-by-turn directions from the RidewithGPS website free into your Garmin.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Andylos wrote:There seems to be a massive gap in the market for an app which is reasonably priced, offers cycling specific gps nav features and has a relatively good GUI.
Your list is

iphone
bicycle gps nav
offline map ?
turn by turn nav (voice?)

Have I left anything out?
=====================
I know OSMAnd will do it all the above .. on an Android Phone, don't think all of it works yet on an iphone.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Andylos wrote:I have a Garmin Edge 520 and wouldn't use the navigation on this as its pretty useless.
Openstreet maps can be downloaded to the Edge 520 and (I think) turn by turn navigation enabled. Openstreet maps are very much more detailed than the Garmin basemaps.
I own a 520 but haven't tried this out but check this;
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/dow ... 00810.html

Andylos

Postby Andylos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks guys,

OSMand looks the closest as it gives you an indication of distance till turn etc, only thing is it doesnt look its available for iPhone.
Tim, ive used the maps on the edge 520 and the navigating is a bit hit and miss, generally it wouldnt tell me where the turn is until ive passed it. Also the downside is, when in navigation mode i cant view other training screens or segments.

Maybe im asking for too much :)

bauzy001

Postby bauzy001 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 am

Hi there Andrew,

Have you had any luck finding an iPhone app that does turn by turn offline navigation using preloaded GPX (or KML) routes?
I'll be riding in Europe in a few months time and I'm looking for the same functionality so I can follow a predetermined routes.

Thanks,
Zoran

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Try "KOMOOT" in IOS or Android.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:20 pm

madmacca wrote: ...you can export .tcx turn-by-turn directions from the RidewithGPS website free into your Garmin.
Not anymore. Apparently used to be able to.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Andylos wrote:RidewithGps looks the best but i think it works out at $10 a month which is very expensive.
A basic subscription cost me $50 p.a. - well worthwhile in my book.
Andylos wrote:There seems to be a massive gap in the market for an app which is reasonably priced, offers cycling specific gps nav features and has a relatively good GUI.
It's a big job to create a comprehensive mapping app with turn-by-turn navigation. No doubt anyone who makes the effort expects a reasonable return.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:32 am

MichaelB wrote:
madmacca wrote: ...you can export .tcx turn-by-turn directions from the RidewithGPS website free into your Garmin.
Not anymore. Apparently used to be able to.
No, it still works as it always did.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:49 pm

hamishm wrote: No, it still works as it always did.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. With the 'free' version of RidewithGPS, you used to be able to, but now you need basic subscription to get the ability to do the TCX download.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
hamishm wrote: No, it still works as it always did.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. With the 'free' version of RidewithGPS, you used to be able to, but now you need basic subscription to get the ability to do the TCX download.
I don't understand. I have not paid for RWGPS, although I do have an account. I can download TCX now just as I always have.

Are you saying this is not possible for free, or not possible without signing up for a (free) account?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I may have not had enough coffee when I read all the blah on the web.

The readings that I did led me to believe that in order to get the ability to do the tcx downloads and add in the required turn by turn (maybe that's the bit that's different - with the paid membership, maybe you can edit the TbT details, distance warning and labels ?) to get it on the 520.

Meh, it's $6 US for a month.

Have quickly made a test cct in Garmin Connect as well to see if I get the TbT there as others have suggested as well.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:I may have not had enough coffee when I read all the blah on the web.

The readings that I did led me to believe that in order to get the ability to do the tcx downloads and add in the required turn by turn (maybe that's the bit that's different - with the paid membership, maybe you can edit the TbT details, distance warning and labels ?) to get it on the 520.

Meh, it's $6 US for a month.

Have quickly made a test cct in Garmin Connect as well to see if I get the TbT there as others have suggested as well.
Paid membership allows you to vary the distance from the turn the instructions are displayed, and also to add custom instructions.

Pasley69

Postby Pasley69 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I would strongly recommend LocusMap see http://www.locusmap.eu/

Pretty big product, but works for me with gpx track import, turn-by-turn visual and voice, plus off-line maps based on OSM and others.
Very customisable.
Cheers
Adrian Hobbs