Cycling around Darwin and NT

Leaf T

Cycling around Darwin and NT

Postby Leaf T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am

Anybody here that can enlighten me on what Darwin is like for cycling? eg commuting, recreational and general transport?

Thanks in advance.

RonK

Re: Cycling around Darwin and NT

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Leaf T wrote:Anybody here that can enlighten me on what Darwin is like for cycling? eg commuting, recreational and general transport?

Thanks in advance.
I grew up in Darwin, although it's been a while since I was there last.

It's pretty flat and easy cycling - a small city with not a lot of cycling destinations, and very hot and humid in the wet season.

By all accounts cycling is more popular there than most Australian cities, and helmet law is rarely enforced.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks Ron. I wonder if there's a thriving anti bike, roads are for cars attitude. It felt that way in Perth but that was many years ago.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Leaf T wrote:Thanks Ron. I wonder if there's a thriving anti bike, roads are for cars attitude. It felt that way in Perth but that was many years ago.
Darwin is way ahead of any other city for utility cycling. The helmet law only applies to on-road riding and is generally ignored.

Staying off the major roads is a good idea but is also (mostly) easily done due to the large number of shared paths - e.g. Tiger Brennan now has a parallel shared path all the way past Hidden Valley.

I never saw many MAMILs in Darwin but I'm sure they exist. :D
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I was there for work a few years ago and was doing short loops out of the CBD and around east point for a few laps, or longer loops out to the Thirsty Camel at Howard Springs. Pretty nice place to ride, didn't have any on-road issues over the few months i was there.

Obviously it's hot so get your kays in as early as possible.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I was worried it might be punishment pass and stubbie/trucker bomb throwing territory. Sorry if I've offended any Territorians :D