Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

biker jk

Re: Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby biker jk » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

mikesbytes wrote:It can cost several seconds to slow down for a venerable road user
I doubt most motorists see cyclists as venerable.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun May 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I drive and I do ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Howzat wrote:I can understand feeling sorry for motorists whose negligence or lack of care causes accidents that kill people, but I'll still send them to prison for it.
It's a matter of justice. A principle that seems to have been forgotten these days.

We also need to change the languaging around these incidents. They are not accidents. They are almost always avoidable. We should not be accepting a death toll of 1500 per annum.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 am

trailgumby wrote:They are almost always avoidable. We should not be accepting a death toll of 1500 per annum.
Anything is avoidable, but there is a cost. People don't like the 1500/year statistic, but they don't like the thought of increased legislation, enforcement or higher registration and licensing standards even more. So are people ok with it? Yeah, pretty much. It's all fine and dandy to say you don't like road accidents or deaths and we should do something about it, but it's another entirely to talk about actual plausible effective ways of doing it.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

andrewjcw wrote:
trailgumby wrote:They are almost always avoidable. We should not be accepting a death toll of 1500 per annum.
Anything is avoidable, but there is a cost. People don't like the 1500/year statistic, but they don't like the thought of increased legislation, enforcement or higher registration and licensing standards even more. So are people ok with it? Yeah, pretty much. It's all fine and dandy to say you don't like road accidents or deaths and we should do something about it, but it's another entirely to talk about actual plausible effective ways of doing it.
I agree. They are not prepared to risk measures like regular retesting which would be inconvenient, and might lead to the unthinkable.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm

trailgumby wrote:It's a matter of justice. A principle that seems to have been forgotten these days.
No amount of 'justice' will change the past. It may have a slight influence on what happens in the future.
trailgumby wrote:We also need to change the languaging around these incidents. They are not accidents.
They are crashes. There is also a press inclination to say 'bicycle hits car' ... rather than 'car hits bicycle'. As this is usually said before the court case then there is a probability that they have it wrong.

The best outcome would be for sensible measures to be taken to reduce the possibility of the same kind of thing occurring again. Unfortunately coroners and court suggestions are seldom followed.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Warin wrote:
trailgumby wrote:It's a matter of justice. A principle that seems to have been forgotten these days.
No amount of 'justice' will change the past. It may have a slight influence on what happens in the future.
It's not really meant to affect the past. In some ways it is meant to put a value on the damage that was done.

6 points and a fine, or a short term loss of license, does not seem to me to place a value at all on the life that was ripped away with maximum violence from the victim.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Warin wrote:
trailgumby wrote:.
They are crashes. There is also a press inclination to say 'bicycle hits car' ... rather than 'car hits bicycle'. As this is usually said before the court case then there is a probability that they have it wrong.

I wish they'd say what is actually correct - driver collides with cyclist. or similar. it isn't a car that hits a bicycle. it's a driver. whether or not its due to a medical episode, mechanical issues or a zombie apocalypse - put the responsibility where it is - with the driver.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 22, 2017 10:33 am

Good point CP123, by using the terms driver and cyclist it's putting the emphasis on the humans. Its extremely rare that the transportation device is the actual cause of the harm but the actions the human took when in charge of the transportation device

I read of an incident recently where the driver blamed poor visibility. It wasn't the poor visibility that was to blame but the driver not driving within the conditions
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am

There is also a press inclination to say 'bicycle hits car'
A mate of mine swears that he once heard a radio news report that said that a cyclist had collided with an open car door. :shock:

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am

RobertL wrote:
There is also a press inclination to say 'bicycle hits car'
A mate of mine swears that he once heard a radio news report that said that a cyclist had collided with an open car door. :shock:
Why :shock:, A 100% factually correct statement!

What the report should have said was something to the effect that the motorist had opening a door without checking for anything approaching from behind and a cyclist had consequently collided with the open door.

Anyway a cyclist who collides with an open car door should not have been riding too close to the parked cars, a completely avoidable incident.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon May 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Mike Ayling wrote: .....Anyway a cyclist who collides with an open car door should not have been riding too close to the parked cars, a completely avoidable incident.

Mike

How wide are the bicycle lanes you ride in?
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Agreed. Car doors are wide and bike lanes are narrow.

Astute riders will try to minimise their risk, but in many situations to remove the risk of car doors complete you'd have to queue behind standstill traffic on many/most city roads.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Marx wrote:Image
You can tell that's not local. IME most cars would be parked right on the line if not partially in the bike lane. Can't risk damage to the rims against the kerb
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 am

Mike Ayling wrote:
Anyway a cyclist who collides with an open car door should not have been riding too close to the parked cars, a completely avoidable incident.
You should tell Alberto Paulon's family that he should not have been riding too close to the parked cars.

You should James Cross' family that he should not have been riding too close to the parked cars.

Here's an idea, how about drivers (and passengers) take a look to make sure there isn't anything coming before they swing their doors open?

You should tell me where you live so I may visit this cycling Utopia where I can ride a metre away from the parked cars and not put my life in the hands of moron motorists.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed May 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Marx wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote: .....Anyway a cyclist who collides with an open car door should not have been riding too close to the parked cars, a completely avoidable incident.

Mike

How wide are the bicycle lanes you ride in?
If the lane is too narrow I don't use it.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 pm

P!N20 wrote:You should tell me where you live so I may visit this cycling Utopia where I can ride a metre away from the parked cars and not put my life in the hands of moron motorists.
Britain? Part of their highway code.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Warin wrote:Britain? Part of their highway code.
I don't think so.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... n-in-video

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Thu May 25, 2017 8:04 am

Mulger bill wrote: You can tell that's not local. IME most cars would be parked right on the line if not partially in the bike lane. Can't risk damage to the rims against the kerb
I will admit, I lol'd there ... because its both funny and accurate :lol:

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 pm

All I can say is that where I am right now, Japan, where the penalty for hitting a cyclist is severe and automatic, you don't get any of this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 pm

I had to do first aid on a Scottish cyclist who got doored in Brisbane a few years ago.
I saw it happen. The woman driver said she looked before opening her door, but the cyclist was going too fast. Considering she was parked about 12 meters from a red light, he was slowing but still had a bit of speed. Either way, if she'd looked 'properly' she had no reason not to have seen him. Maybe she only did a quick head turn, and didn't check the side view mirror. I don't know. But I gave her a serve anyway and she was defiant and loudly proclaimed she had done no wrong.
Fortunately, the cyclist didn't break any bones, or bike, and could ride away. But a less fit specimen could easily have been killed.

Moral of the story is I think many people don't know how to properly check for cyclists.
It was like the poor Italian cyclist who got killed in Melbourne. The motorist presumably did a quick check, and thought there was only one cyclist coming.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 26, 2017 5:30 am

Small mod note - thanks for friendly report asking about splitting the thread. Acknowledged and for participants worth considering when a discussion splits and needs a new thread.

Good to see that the 'word censor' is working well - it means that members can look for nicer words or ways to express emotions.
Cycling is in my BNA

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Back on topic, trailer for the IPWR doco

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm

This has been put up recently. I've removed the name and phone number from the bottom of the image.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm

That is very recent, drive past there a lot. I was just thinking on tuesday when I drove by that the flowers and other things were starting to look a little worn. Glad someone has done this.