Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Warin

Re: Inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Postby Warin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:42 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Warin wrote:Britain? Part of their highway code.
I don't think so.....
Rule 67.
Leave plenty of room when passing parked vehicles and watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your path

I believe there is further advice as to what the "plenty of room when passing parked vehicles" is .. but I cannot find it at the moment.
They do make interesting reading https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... s-59-to-82

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Has there been any recent media regarding the driver in MH's death? Being charged etc?

I dont recall anything has ever been mentioned and what happened after the accident

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:49 pm

I read on one FB bike forum that *apparently* the driver has been charged and things are progressing although no more than that. it will certainly be an interesting one to follow. a number of other people commented on the Canberra social media scene at the time that they saw him clearly as he was well lit up. :|

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 pm

cp123 wrote:I read on one FB bike forum that *apparently* the driver has been charged and things are progressing although no more than that. it will certainly be an interesting one to follow. a number of other people commented on the Canberra social media scene at the time that they saw him clearly as he was well lit up. :|
I heard some whispers but nothing I'll repeat until decision happens one way or the other.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Rider killed in the race Mike Hall founded (transcontinental).

80km from the start in belgium :(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 am

After many long races with no major issues, 3 fatalities in 3 events so close together. Really, really tragic.

Have to wonder why the latest race was started at 10pm ?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 am

I think they start at that time so they can ride fresh through the first night, then most people would get a full day's riding during the day too.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Could also be something to do with local traffic conditions at the start point or trying to get a particular part of the journey the next morning to occur during daylight hours.

The 3 fatalities, is there a pattern to them? Perhaps time of day (lighting conditions)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 am

Thank you biker jk, that's worth watching.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 pm

It's happening for 2018.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ar ... nd-mission

New rules with tons of lights/reflectors for everyone, and a new relay mode to split the ride into 4 predefined legs.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:15 pm

A directions hearing relating to the inquest into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mike Hall will be held at the Coroner’s Court, Magistrates Court Building, Knowles Place, Canberra City on 18 December 2017, commencing at 9.30 a.m.

A directions hearing determines the scope of the inquest, date and length of the process, and is an important first step in the legal process for coronial findings.

Mike Hall was killed on the Monaro Highway just outside Canberra following a collision with a car in the early hours of March 31st.
https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/a ... nquest-set
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm

silentC wrote:
A directions hearing relating to the inquest into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mike Hall will be held at the Coroner’s Court, Magistrates Court Building, Knowles Place, Canberra City on 18 December 2017, commencing at 9.30 a.m.

A directions hearing determines the scope of the inquest, date and length of the process, and is an important first step in the legal process for coronial findings.

Mike Hall was killed on the Monaro Highway just outside Canberra following a collision with a car in the early hours of March 31st.
https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/a ... nquest-set
So what have they been doing since April then?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm

silentC wrote:The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.
meanwhile, over at the indypac 2018 site......

"What if you temporarily took leave from the safety of everyday life to battle through a challenge that scares you? What if your only worries were riding, finding food and water and a place to sneak a few hours of sleep?"

what genius wrote that amazing copy?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

andrewjcw wrote:It's happening for 2018.

New rules with tons of lights/reflectors for everyone, and a new relay mode to split the ride into 4 predefined legs.
Isn't the whole idea of this ride to be pushing yourself to crazy levels of fatigue and basically end up as a zombie on a bike? How is the four person team aligning with that?

Yeah, it's amazing riding that far, but also pretty stupid if we are to believe the rider comments on their levels of fatigue.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am

g-boaf wrote:
andrewjcw wrote:It's happening for 2018.

Isn't the whole idea of this ride to be pushing yourself to crazy levels of fatigue and basically end up as a zombie on a bike? How is the four person team aligning with that?

Yeah, it's amazing riding that far, but also pretty stupid if we are to believe the rider comments on their levels of fatigue.
I would say the zombie fatigue side of it is really only for the top 10 or so riders. For the vast majority of participants the limit will be their legs/joints/bums/backs. Sure they will be very tired after doing 150-250km days back to back, but sleep deprivation is not an issue like it is for the top contenders.

The relay event is just to make the event more accessible, for people who couldn't travel or book that much time off work but still want to participate. Also to provide some more competition for the 'elites' and hence excitement for the dot watchers.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 am

CKinnard wrote:
silentC wrote:The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.
meanwhile, over at the indypac 2018 site......

"What if you temporarily took leave from the safety of everyday life to battle through a challenge that scares you? What if your only worries were riding, finding food and water and a place to sneak a few hours of sleep?"

what genius wrote that amazing copy?
That's the thing I was hinting at before. If there is an accident, some lawyer will find this copy and use it to their advantage.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

I guess safety comes first but it would have been better if they could have waited until the conclusion of the inquest to announce changes. It does tend to display an acceptance of the race conditions being a contributing factor. Hopefully the actual circumstances will make it clear who the culprit was.
- Me

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

g-boaf wrote: That's the thing I was hinting at before. If there is an accident, some lawyer will find this copy and use it to their advantage.
And they are still calling it a "race".

unbelievable.

'challenge' would have been more sensible...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am

The other big event in our hemisphere, the 3000km Tour Aotearoa explicitly does not call itself a race - and has some sensible rules for rider safety.

Of course to the ultra-riders it is a race unofficially, even though there is a minimum (and maximum) time.

Tour Aotearoa

Tour Aotearoa starts in waves February 10 - 28. Some dot watching coming up on Map Progress.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm

While I totally get that people want to push themselves to the limit, it's clear that some of the riders push themselves beyond what is safe. Riding hundreds of kms a day with little proper/adequate rest is insane and its little wonder that there are casualties. Mike Hall admitted suffering from blurred vision the day before his crash, how much that, plus riding all night to try and catch the leader played in his death we may never truly know, but it'd be astonishing if it hadn't played some part.

This should be a challenge, not a race. I'd even go so far as to stagger the start over a few days so that it cannot be considered a race to the finish line.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm

djw47 wrote:While I totally get that people want to push themselves to the limit, it's clear that some of the riders push themselves beyond what is safe. Riding hundreds of kms a day with little proper/adequate rest is insane and its little wonder that there are casualties. Mike Hall admitted suffering from blurred vision the day before his crash, how much that, plus riding all night to try and catch the leader played in his death we may never truly know, but it'd be astonishing if it hadn't played some part.

This should be a challenge, not a race. I'd even go so far as to stagger the start over a few days so that it cannot be considered a race to the finish line.
I am sure that will come up in the inquest, but it's worth pointing out that Mike had stopped for the night in Cooma and did not resume his trip until the morning of the incident. Will be watching the inquest with interest.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:07 pm

we may never truly know, but it'd be astonishing if it hadn't played some part
That is what the inquest is for. Let's hope that the coroner isn't so easily astonished.
- Me