Noosa Strade Bianche 2017

singlespeedscott

Re: Noosa Strade Bianche 2017

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Sounds good. I just hope your Bottom bracket spindle is the right width and offset

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 pm

So this is my ride for NSB: Carrera Titanized with Campagnolo Record and a 10-speed cassette and 28mm Maxxis rubber. Took it for a spin today, even rode some gravel. Amazing.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks great :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Hey how strict is the downtube shifter rule? From past events it looks like some people were riding with brifters. I'd love to take my '85 Pinarello up (obviously not this year,) but not all that keen to swap out the levers and all that. They're first gen Ergopower, so still vintage :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 am

You can only ask, but the idea of the event is to experience cycling how it was in the past.

I have a classic steel bike setup with ergo levers but I feel the barend shifters on my strade bike are more in keeping with the event.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 pm

The rules are basically anything BUT STI/ergo shifters, but in reality (as the photos show) if you turn up with a steely that just happens to have brifters, no one is going to tell you to go home.

Of course it's a good excuse to build up another steel bike with downtube shifters :)
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 am

ldrcycles wrote:Of course it's a good excuse to build up another steel bike with downtube shifters :)

That's a good point...

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

I've now got my bike ready to go.

I had a few issues where a cheap bike turned out to be a bit more expensive. It's ugly but I'm hopeful it will do the job. I'm keeping the 52-42 crankset setup but with the cheap 12-32t cassette with an older MTB RD. Surprisingly it works pretty good even with the down tube indexing. I'm running Maxxis Re-fuse 23's - I found it next to impossible to fit fatter tyres. I've used re-fuse in 28 quite alot on my CX bike on gravel so I'm hoping the 23's prove to be as robust - as a backup I'll be wearing the MTB shoes if I need to do a walk :-)

I've only been able to do some shorter test rides since its been back together but I think the gearing will be fine. I've registered for the Medio. So its a much easier taster of the event and if all goes well I'll be back next year for the one of the longer options.

Finally on the Sunday am I right in thinking I don't need to turn up super early to register? In the pics riders don't seem to need to wear numbers so I was hoping it was a simple turn up and ride start?

Thanks again to those who offered advice and help with parts!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:22 pm

The medio rolls out at 07:00 hrs. Its a bit hectic at the start as the Imperial and the Gran fondo start at 06:30 so I suggest you get there before 6 to pay and sign on.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks. I've already paid online. This being the case you do you think it would be OK if I got there at 6:30 to see the start of the Imperial and the Grand?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 pm

daft1024 wrote:Thanks. I've already paid online. This being the case you do you think it would be OK if I got there at 6:30 to see the start of the Imperial and the Grand?

Should be no issues at all

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Another brilliant Piccolo Fondo and Show. After a bloke at a local bike shop threw down the challenge for others to do the Piccolo on singlespeeds, i decided to use the old 1954 Healing, and wear my vintage getup. With the numerous small climbs in mind i fitted a larger cog last night, which was still only barely short enough. Of course it was still far too tall for Tank Hill, and it also turned out to be far too short for the fast flat run back into Tewantin. After a fairly cool start the day got very warm, and with my corduroy trousers and 60s vintage Qld Police khaki shirt i had sweat pouring off me. My main concern was coming down the notoriously rough Ringtail Creek downhill with only a coaster brake, but it actually worked well enough and the road wasn't as bad as it has been (though still very rough).

The show had a really good turnout as well, a good range and not as much superbling megabucks italian stuff as last year (though there were still some fancy Colnagos, Pinarellos and a beautiful Cinelli for sale at $5,900 :shock: ). There were some waterbikes in the marina that people could try for free, which was great fun.

I'm still rather crook (although i did a good job of pretending otherwise today :) ) so tomorrow will be tough, even doing the Medio for the first time rather than the long course.

First photo was at the rest stop at the top of Tank Hill, taken by Kathy Watt. One of the organisers was taking photos of myself and the Healing with a short woman with a lovely smile, it wasn't til i got home and saw other photos on facebook that i realised who she was :oops: .

Despite her very serious look in this photo, my little girl had a blast at the show :) she should be big enough for her own vintage bike next year!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 am

I had a brilliant day yesterday doing the imperial, especially considering I had spent Saturday on my back due to putting it out that morning.

Weather was perfect.

Legs where destroyed at the end thanks to Nikolai, whom I'm sure could of gone a lot harder.

Unfortunately Nick, the guy I finished with last year, had an off on the first dirt descent which resulted in a shatter left collar bone.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am

I had a great day yesterday on the Medio. I'm very glad I did the shorter option for a first visit. I'll be back next year to give the Grand a crack - after much more time spent preparing on hills.

The best bit was watching with amazement many old blokes simply hammering down the hills. I'd catch them on the up, but geeze these blokes had some skills on the downs. I'd need many many more dirt k's before I felt confident enough ripping down like these blokes.

Gearing wise the 42 x 32 setup was perfect I didn't need to walk up any of the hills thankfully.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 pm

What bike were you on daft? I have a terrible memory for faces but i never forget a bike :)

Was a fantastic day, the first time i've done the short course option but it was the right choice as i was burnt out by the time i came back past Cooroy Mountain and was very slow for the last 10kms. The lemon ladies stop was brilliant as always, and a huge thank you to Noosa Council for grading Andersons Road, it was in marvellous shape.

The one disappointment was the finish, as the Marina had markets on at the same time the place was absolutely packed, with returning riders having to go up the footpath around the side and then through the middle of an italian restaurant to the sign off. Not much room for bikes and with a lot of people in a small place i almost lost my voice yelling over the noise. The markets were on last year too but probably not even half as many people there. Hopefully next year the marina sticks to one event at a time or it will just be too busy. I had arranged for my wife to meet me there for lunch but when i saw how busy it was i left to get takeaway and saw her elsewhere.

Still a fantastic event of course, and all credit to the organisers pulling it together.
On to the pics!

Mandatory stop at Kodak Corner round the back of Black Mountain-

Elantra (on the right) and two others whose names escape me descending Andersons Road. I stopped twice to rest my hands and took the opportunity to get some photos.

Andersons Road about halfway down.

I don't actually know who either of these riders are-

The Lemon Ladies stop-

The local car club helped with the rest stops again this year and had some old metal of their own along.

Mt Cooroora from the top of Sankeys Rd-

Coming back past Cooroy Mountain-

I will also note that makes 7 Strades now without a single puncture for me, that's the magic of 27 inch tyres for ya people! :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Forgot to mention, as well as the broken collarbone singlespeedscott mentioned, an older bloke had his forks break just after finishing one of the roughest sections of dirt up near Como, he was at the marina bandaged up but in good spirits. Another bloke apparently had a front dropout break off, but as he was going uphill slowly he came away unscathed.

The lovely Lee who drives the sag wagon said they had helped with about 35 flats this year (though of course there were plenty more that riders would have sorted themselves) which is about the same it's been for a while even with the entry numbers going up. Must be more switching from 700C to 27 inch i guess :)

uart

Postby uart » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Nice photos ldrcycles. :)

BTW. Just wondering what tyres you were running?

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Great pics ldr. I didn't have the presence of mind to take any decent pics.

I was too busy either grinding up a hill or trying to hold on during a descent :-)

My bike was this very non-descript mystery machine. I actually spent my time at every stop looking at the other bikes to try and work out what kind it is - sadly I saw nothing similar.

Thankfully I had no flats or mechanical's unlike the numerous others I saw along the way. The skinny Maxxis Re-fuse in 23mm worked pretty well - but I was very careful (some would say slow) on descents.

I totally agree with your views on the arrival at the Marina. There was some miscommunication and I failed to understand I was supposed to go around the side via the bike path - was narrowly missed by a car trying to turn around. I got out of there pretty quickly once I signed off. Way too busy for me and was quickly dampening my buzz from the great riding :-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:16 pm

I didn't see that one, i'd have remembered those forks for sure! :) The forks are non-descript but that is a very interesting frame, i'm keen to have a good look over it some time. I've been using 23mm Refuses on my modern road bikes for years now and haven't had a single puncture since i switched to them. On gravel 23s are too small for comfort though, if your frame has clearance 28s will make a huge difference.

uart wrote:BTW. Just wondering what tyres you were running?

Duro/Innova/CST gumwalls, aka the cheapest i can get. Nowadays that means about $20 each, a few years ago they were $12 a piece. I've had 2 flats in the whole time i've been using them, one from a broken beer bottle (nothing would have stopped that) and the other from hitting a timber bridge at ~40kmh. I wouldn't have been surprised if that hit had broken the frame, but i got home no worries and the tyre wasn't flat til the next day.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I didn't see that one, i'd have remembered those forks for sure! :) The forks are non-descript but that is a very interesting frame, i'm keen to have a good look over it some time. I've been using 23mm Refuses on my modern road bikes for years now and haven't had a single puncture since i switched to them. On gravel 23s are too small for comfort though, if your frame has clearance 28s will make a huge difference.

Unfortunately I couldn't fit 28's into the rear without letting the tires down - and even then its very tight once pumped up. I decided to just keep it safe and keep to the 23's for this ride. Next year I may experiment a little more.

I'll be posting some more pics of my bike in the retro area shortly in the hope that someone recognises the frame. It has various fluro hues under the blue home respray from some previous owner. I was contemplating a strip and proper respray for next year. Would be nice to know what it is. My gut feel is early 90's Shogun or Apollo but neither seem to have all the characteristics.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm

I tough day in the saddle. Glad I kept the 12-29T cassette on my bike, that 29 cog was perfect for a couple of stinkers.

Scott, thanks for guiding us, I would've gotten lost for sure.

Before leaving for a six-hour-plus ride:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Nikolai wrote:I tough day in the saddle. Glad I kept the 12-29T cassette on my bike, that 29 cog was perfect for a couple of stinkers.

Scott, thanks for guiding us, I would've gotten lost for sure.

No worries mate, it was a pleasure to meet you.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 pm

daft1024 wrote: Would be nice to know what it is. My gut feel is early 90's Shogun or Apollo but neither seem to have all the characteristics.

Im no expert by any stretch of the imagination but it may be a Japanese built frame?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Nikolai wrote:

No worries mate, it was a pleasure to meet you.

Geez boys are you in good shape or what? Dem legs :shock:
Double man crush :D

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 pm

It's like a fashion show, you have to look good so you go on a diet for a year

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”