Is Crit racing ... ?

RobertL

Re: Is Crit racing ... ?

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am

stevecassidy wrote:Just on the Crit vs Road question, in reality there is a spectrum of racing. We race at Eastern Creek raceway which is more 'road' and even Lansdowne Park while short enough to be called a Crit doesn't have the sharp corners that make Crits hard. Heffron Park is flat and has those corners making for very different racing. Plenty of variety to choose from in Sydney at least.

Steve

I think that the purists would call a race at Eastern Creek a "kermesse" rather than a crit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermesse_(cycling)

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Crits - Not if you crash, but when.

Really good fun though if you have others around you who know what they are doing.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Strawburger wrote:I would say the order of 'safest to less safe' racing would be (up for discussion):

Time trial
Road racing
Crits

My take on crits is that if I need to race it then I either break away or don't contest the sprint. There is a higher chance of crashing in the sprint/last couple of laps than in the rest of the race.

Crit racing is as safe as you make it though! The higher the grade, the safer it is.

I would agree with this. I doubt I'll ever race a crit again. It's just too dangerous.

About the only thing you can say positive about crit safety is you are unlikely to be run over by a car.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 pm

bianchi928 wrote:Crits - Not if you crash, but when.

and the most crashable course in Sydney is ......

the one with 40 year old rough concrete slabs separated by tyre width gaps, some of which have been attempted to be repaired with tar, off camber corners and sand verges so that if you run wide or get squeezed off, your front wheel comes to an abrupt stop...
3 or 4 big Sydney clubs use it to race on but no-one can be bothered to put in for a grant to fix it
then again there is money for grandstands and a nice clubhouse

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I’ve also had confirmed that MWCC allow day licenses at their Crits which is good news. Agree that the 3 day pass makes a lot more sense

I’ve ridden around Heffron and it does look pretty diabolical, not for me. HART is looking good.

I’ll be interested to see what crits are like; the tight and close nature is both exciting and intimidating. I road raced motorcycles for many years so don’t mind a bit of cut and thrust but am a bit older now so we’ll see. I’ve got the perfect bike for it, 5 yr old TCR that owes me nothing, so I won’t wear my best kit and let’s see how it goes. Must start training, I’ll get spat out the back of D grade based on my current form

Cheers
D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Discodan wrote:I’ve ridden around Heffron and it does look pretty diabolical, not for me. HART is looking good.

You can also try coming down to The Armoury at Sydney Olympic Park. Turn up by 5:00pm on Thursday nights.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LidcombeAub ... e_internal

It's a pretty decent track, just be careful of that corner...

The races are sometimes run differently, not just normal scratch races - occasionally points races too, just to spice things up. :twisted:

Chris Miller put up a video here that shows a little of what the track is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSV5JwwqP8